13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2015 12:23 PM by emperorphil RSS

Another Tmobile - Nexus 6 problem

All right here goes. This is the 2nd problem with Tmobile and my Nexus 6 (bought from Amazon). The first was that I was never able to get wifi calling working (and have since given up on that).The second issue is much more concerning. I moved to a town with a huge 4g footprint. Welp, I'm only getting EDGE service. Multiple calls to tech support have not been much help. They had me re-do my APN settings and reset my network. It worked for a while until I left the area and got service from another tower. When I came back home it wouldn't connect to that one damn tower, so the fix was a temporary band aid and now I'm on EDGE (or awful Edge as my son calls it). The second call to tech support and the lady said I needed a booster for my house. I explained that I would like to pass on it since it's not going to do any good and of course she sent it anyway. Please tell me how a booster inside my house is going to magically give me a 4g signal. So basically all I've gotten from tech support is that if I had bought my Nexus 6 through Tmobile then I wouldn't be having this problem. So, uh, my question is why the heck should I stay with Tmobile (with unlimited data) when all I get is EDGE service?!?!?

• 1. Re: Another Tmobile - Nexus 6 problem

Went to a Tmobile store today. They switched the sim card. Still nothing. I'm wondering if I should flash a different radio. I'll give it a try, I mean what the heck do I have to lose?

• 2. Re: Another Tmobile - Nexus 6 problem

I flashed the LYZ28E radio and now I'm getting H/H+. That's good enough for me. I think the problem was having a wrong radio and APN settings needed updated.

• 3. Re: Another Tmobile - Nexus 6 problem

Hopefully that was indeed it. It could very well be the case.

• 4. Re: Another Tmobile - Nexus 6 problem

I don't think it's the case. It's just a plastic Spigen case. I still only get H/H+ and never get LTE (even in downtown DC). such a bummer.

I think this whole situation of the LTE not working because I didn't buy it from Tmobile is garbage.

• 5. Re: Another Tmobile - Nexus 6 problem
                  theartiszan

I doubt it is yes case as well. Probably some miss match with the software. I would suggest fully flashing the latest image from the developers factory image site.  Mine never got the ota to the carrier version of software and stuck with the generic version and no Wi-Fi calling.

• 6. Re: Another Tmobile - Nexus 6 problem

Found out what is most likely the problem. I bought the phone from Amazon and it turns out it's the INTERNATIONAL version. WTF!?!?!

• 7. Re: Another Tmobile - Nexus 6 problem
                      theartiszan

Yeah that would do it. Can you switch it for the right version with Amazon? I bought mine with them as well. But they sent me the right version.

• 8. Re: Another Tmobile - Nexus 6 problem
                        leicam

Amazon.com is a marketplace. On amazon, 3rd parties, including you, can sell things. You probably bought your phone (international version, XT1100) from a 3rd party seller. Amazon sells the US model (XT1103) which has all the right bands for T-Mobile, AT&T and even Sprint and Verizon. Here are the specs:

XT1103 (US Version)

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

CDMA (800, 1900, secondary 800 MHz)

WCDMA (1, 2, 4, 5, 8)

LTE (2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 29, 41)

CA DL (B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-29, B4-B5, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29)

XT1100 (Intl Version)

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

WCDMA (1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 19)

LTE (1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 19, 20, 28, 41)

CA DL (B3-B5, B3-B8)

WCDMA/UMTS = 3G / 4G (H/H+). T-mobile uses WCDMA bands 2 and 4, supported in both versions of the phone.

For LTE, Tmobile uses band 2, 4 and 12 (2 is rural). As you can see, the intl version lacks support for all 3 LTE bands Tmobile uses.

AT&T uses 2, 4 and 17 for LTE, so the intl version is also incompatible with AT&T.

I am not sure what the 3rd party return policy is (it can vary from seller to seller) - but you may want to check if you can return it and buy the US version from Amazon. Make sure it says "sold and shipped by Amazon.com).

• 9. Re: Another Tmobile - Nexus 6 problem
                          pmorrsn

I just bought mine on ebay.  After doing all the updates...until it stopped updating, I found the Tmobile app on the phone, so it must have been installed with the tmobile updates, once it recognized my network?  It seems to work great and wifi calling works.. I had some regret not buying the fully warranteed version on amazon and may still have these regrets, but out of the box, it does work well.

• 10. Re: Another Tmobile - Nexus 6 problem
                            leicam

I see. But it's possible you have the XT1103 that has the right LTE bands.

And yes, wifi calling will work only with t-mobile specific firmware.

You can find out the model # by doing this:

Turn off phone

Press and hold both vol down and power at the same time until you see bootloader screen.

Once you are there, towards the bottom of the screen, you will see a ton of info. One of them is, product variant,and that's where it will say XT1103 or XT1100.

Press up (or down) once at a time until you see "START". Then press power to continue turning the phone on as usual.

• 11. Re: Another Tmobile - Nexus 6 problem

You can try downloading an app called "network" in the Google play store. In the app you can force the phone to only connect to LTE. Then when it connects you to LTE, you can go to the settings menu and open up the menu where you can set your preferred network (LTE, 3G, 2G). Just go to this menu and make sure it says LTE preferred.  Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further expansion.

• 12. Re: Another Tmobile - Nexus 6 problem

Problem has been resolved. Model XT1100 was exchanged for XT1103. Now I have wifi calling and strong LTE coverage. Lesson learned.

• 13. Re: Another Tmobile - Nexus 6 problem

Glad to hear you got everything resolved.