Sooo difficult to chat

I am NOT a T-Mobile customer. I may WANT to be, but I am finding it difficult to contact someone. Apparently you cannot chat with them unless you are already a customer (chat registration requires a T-Mobile phone number & PIN), and there are no email addresses available to ask some questions of the customer service department.

This is already beginning to sour me on T-Mobile. I am an employee of one of their competitors yet am interested in switching, but I do not have time to stay on hold waiting for a live agent, and with chat or email there is also the opportunity of having a written record of the conversation (important as I have been burned twice by my employer telling us things verbally and then not following through).

So if someone out there knows how to join a chat session without a T-Mobile account, or how to email customer service, let me know. Otherwise, I am afraid I will not become a customer.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Sooo difficult to chat

You can always ask your questions here -- the Forum Community generally has more answers than Chat / Customer Care / Sales.

• Re: Sooo difficult to chat

OK smplyunprdctble, here are my questions:

I am currently a Verizon customer AND employee, but am fed up with the cost of their service, even with my discount. I have heard that some vendors will pay the early disconnect fee if someone switches over. Will T-Mobile do this?

I have 5 phones on my account. 2 of them are smart phones, the rest are plain phones. Will T-Mobile work with my current phones or will I have to replace all of them?

Verizon started by offering a free upgrade to a similar phone after 2 years (i.e. I could replace my existing LG Cosmos phone with another LG Cosmos after 2 years for free. Then Verizon started eliminating almost all the free phones. And now Verizon has Changed the fees again. My cheap LG Cosmos will cost me $0.99 to replace IF I sign a 2 year contract, plus there is a $40 "upgrade fee. If I do not want to sign up for 2 more years I have to pay full price for the phone (LG Cosmos is $49) plus the $40 upgrade fee. What kind of fee structure does T-Mobile have in regards to replacing phones after a period of time?

Does T-Mobile have insurance for phones? How does it compare to Verizon's cost of $11.99/month PLUS a $75 deductible for a smart phone?

• tidbits

Re: Sooo difficult to chat

rfcomm2k wrote:

OK smplyunprdctble, here are my questions:

I am currently a Verizon customer AND employee, but am fed up with the cost of their service, even with my discount. I have heard that some vendors will pay the early disconnect fee if someone switches over. Will T-Mobile do this?

Yes T-Mobile will pay them off some restrictions apply.  See next comment

I have 5 phones on my account. 2 of them are smart phones, the rest are plain phones. Will T-Mobile work with my current phones or will I have to replace all of them?

You will have to submit these phones in order to get reimbursed your ETF so you will have to replace them all.  You can submit cheaper phones if you are on contract.  If they are on the payment plan(EDGE or similar) it has to be that exact device.

Verizon started by offering a free upgrade to a similar phone after 2 years (i.e. I could replace my existing LG Cosmos phone with another LG Cosmos after 2 years for free. Then Verizon started eliminating almost all the free phones. And now Verizon has Changed the fees again. My cheap LG Cosmos will cost me $0.99 to replace IF I sign a 2 year contract, plus there is a $40 "upgrade fee. If I do not want to sign up for 2 more years I have to pay full price for the phone (LG Cosmos is $49) plus the $40 upgrade fee. What kind of fee structure does T-Mobile have in regards to replacing phones after a period of time?

T-Mobile doesn't have contracts.  You have to buy devices outright or under a payment plan.  T-Mobile has no upgrade fee, and no fee to go on EIP.  On EIP you pay the tax and only the tax(unless you have no/bad credit) up front.  If you have bad to no credit then you may have to put some money down(which goes towards the total amount) which affects how much you pay per month.

On one note Verizon has never charged the upgrade fee if you bought your phones outright   I am just clearing that up as I am also a Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile customer.  Sprint too at one point but that's another story in the future.

Does T-Mobile have insurance for phones? How does it compare to Verizon's cost of $11.99/month PLUS a $75 deductible for a smart phone?

All companies use the same insure, and they all have the same deductibles.  This is not set by the carriers and are set by the underwriter.  So depending on your phone the deductible ranges from $75 to $175.  Assurant/Assurion is the underwriter.  You can go with a third party insurer, or depending on your homeowners insurance company you may be able to cover your phone.

The only difference would be extended warranty coverage as that is the only thing that varies by carrier. The 11. price includes that extended warranty.