Yes or No, T-Mobile:  Will The Galaxy S4 Get a Lollipop update, or not?

You've ignored this question in other threads, so I thought I'd start a new one.

I can't wait to see the standard responses which answer nothing.  But who knows, maybe you'll actually treat us with some respect and answer this very simple question.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

I've said this in several threads, not sure if it's in any of the threads you've looked at... but, here goes..

T-Mobile will NOT communicate software updates except through the Software updates page.

If it's there, yay, it's been announced!

If it's not there, you won't get a yes or no -- it's usually because the folks at the support level truly have no idea whether or not a device will be updated or not, so they cannot give you an answer.

• ryan717

based on your answer t-mobile, and with the MEDIA asking the same question, your arrogance is showing.  You may have been able to get customers to switch with gimmicky sales tricks well guess what?  your trick bag is empty, your service still sucks and the nickname T-maybe is for real.. as in maybe you'll have a signal and maybe not.  Maybe you'll get a software update, maybe not.. As a customer over the last year and a half.. I'm done.  I'm done waiting, I'm done with the talk about improvements in dropped calls and nothing changes.. you guys are a 3rd rate nobody network.. for the money, anyone is better off with ATT and Verizon.  Tired of the lack of service and the attitude of "shut up little customer" when asking about when we can get a simple *&^%%&&^^!!  update!  Done.  Jumping ship.. Later Tmaybe.. maybe next time.  

• ryan717

that doesn't help me with My S4 and it's SD card Non functioning problem with the restrictions.. my S4 is practically useless.  Either way.. bad decision by T-mobile.  I'm out.. I tried to have patience with em, but they just don't offer what the other guys are... so too little too late.  excuses are like ***  holes everyone has one and they all stink

• tidbits

Google changed how SD cards work. Samsung complied with them even thought they initially didn't. That's on Samsung not T-Mobile.

• ryan717

wow anything to defend T-Maybe eh?  Really?!  lol  This issue was FIXED in the update.  The Same update T-Maybe Refused to release for THEIR CUSTOMERS!  Purposefully trying to force an upgrade.. that's called bait and switch tactics.. and NO they don't win points for that!  Stop being an apologist for stupidity. 

• IKR? Why are "customers" defending T-Mobile on its disregard for its

customers?

I still haven't heard any rational explanation for why T-Mobile isn't

updating the S4.

• smplyunprdctble

You DO realize T-Mobile is in a "darned if they do, darned if they don't" position on this, right?

If you look at other threads regarding the various Lollipop updates for other devices, you get a lot of angry people because it kills battery life, or gets hot, or doesn't have a feature they wanted, or whatever reason to complain about.  These people shun T-Mobile for releasing a version of the OS they feel wasn't built / tested properly.

On the other hand, you have people who are demanding an update and want it now and are upset because they can't get information on the update.  These are generally (not always) the people who are first to complain when something wasn't tested appropriately.  Remember, T-Mobile has features such as WiFi Calling that has to be baked in.  It's been previously stated in this thread that Samsung apparently suggested to not update the S4.  Has anyone looked at S4 threads for other carriers to determine if the update is working well or not?  My uneducated guess is there's probably problems (which would bring out the first scenario if released).

Companies don't say "we're working on XXX" for a reason.  The primary reasons are if an agreement falls through or if a date could slip.  But, equally valid is the people you're asking truly don't know.  I'm imagining there's a team at T-Mobile who's sole focus is the software updates.  These people have no interaction with Customer Support, T-Force, nor these forums most likely, so the customer-facing folks don't have information to divulge.

Think of it this way -- if you walked into Disneyland and asked a Cast Member, "Will Miley Cyrus be in the next season of Once Upon a Time?"  The Cast Member can't say yes nor no because they truly don't know.  There's been no official announcement that Miley is going to be in OUaT, but at the same time, there's been no official announcement that she's not going to be in an episode.  For all anyone knows, Billy Ray could be talking to someone to get her a cameo or something in episode 3.

• I really have to wonder at the mentality of someone who would go to such

great lengths to defend T-Mobile for not providing an update.

Even if what you say is true,  then why are they providing updates for

other phones,  but not the S4?

• joetequila

Sorry simplyunprdctble, that's one of the most "cop out" answers I have seen yet on this subject. Firstly, if the reps excuse is that they don't know, they should find out. Someone knows, someone can be asked and someone can answer from a knowledgeable viewpoint. Secondly, there really is no "darned if they do & darned if they don't" situation - what needs to simply be done is to give people a choice to update or not. It's up to every individual user to research & decide what's right for them. Right now the choice is to stay with T-mobile or not. Thirdly, not acknowledging one way or the other is simply cowardly.

At the end of the day, I'm spitting mad that I was sold a phone for $600 that was advertised at the time as "having an SD card slot able to accept 64GB cards". It's true, but the deception is that the card is rendered virtually useless. I know that wasn't T-Mobile's choice or fault, but the solution to that issue is available and is being kept from the end user by a T-Mobile decision, not a Google or Samsung choice.

I would love to know if any attorneys reading this think a class-action lawsuit would be a possibility in this case.

• Search for a Lollipop 5.1.1 S4 ROM called "Radium".  If you install it, you

won't be sorry.

I got sick of waiting for T-Mobile/Samsung to do the right thing, rooted my

S4 and installed Radium.  It's fantastic.

I'd link you to it, but TMO would just censor it.

Good luck.

• ryan717

I think a class action would be qualified here.  A popular major feature of the S4 was advertised with a $700 phone that was taken away from customers after they bought them.  I'd say that fits the bill of bait and switch tactics.. T-mobile may think it is not a big deal, but legally speaking, it's pretty major and they did not work to cover their a**es on it. 

• tidbits

In that lawsuit you have to prove T-Mobile did it.  Also there was no feature guaranteed by T-Mobile devices would be updated.  If there ever was one they would be updated and the manufacturer made that promise(Throughout Android history).  Samsung on the record never specifically said which models would be updated and the low level reps have said they have given it to carriers and anyone who knows the industry those low level reps would NEVER know if and when an update will happen, if it passed testing or not, or even the FCC numbers for a specific phone of theirs.  Right now if you called Samsung they couldn't tell you the difference between the Note 4 models they brought out for T-Mobile.  One can update to 5.1.1 but the way they signed the packages and how they differentiate the two the older version can't be updated.

• joetequila

Tidbits, I believe you missed my point. Even though T-Mobile did not create the Kitkat software, it was T-Mobile that advertised the phone as being able to be expanded by the use of an SD card. They did not disclose that the use of that SD card was disabled severely to the point of making it essentially useless. My point is that Lollipop essentially restores that ability, but unlike other carriers T-Mobile is preventing customers from accessing that fix. I am unwilling to accept that my only options to be able to bypass that issue is to root my phone & use a custom ROM while losing WiFi calling or purchase a new phone when the resolution is available in the form of updated software (aka Lollipop). For me personally, I would be more than happy to purchase an S5 if T-Mobile was willing to apply the unpaid balance on my S4 to the cost of a new phone. While I have no evidence, it's becoming painfully clear that T-Mobile wants the best of both worlds - to not pay Samsung for the update (I believe they have an ethical obligation to supply the update) & to force customers to spend more money on a new phone. I have been with T-Mobile for almost 10 years and have spent over $20k because of their business model, but to me they have now become just another business out to suck every dime they can out of their customers.This is wrong, it may not be illegal, but it's deceptive, unethical & plain mean-spirited.

• tidbits

joetequila wrote:

Tidbits, I believe you missed my point. Even though T-Mobile did not create the Kitkat software, it was T-Mobile that advertised the phone as being able to be expanded by the use of an SD card. They did not disclose that the use of that SD card was disabled severely to the point of making it essentially useless. My point is that Lollipop essentially restores that ability, but unlike other carriers T-Mobile is preventing customers from accessing that fix. I am unwilling to accept that my only options to be able to bypass that issue is to root my phone & use a custom ROM while losing WiFi calling or purchase a new phone when the resolution is available in the form of updated software (aka Lollipop). For me personally, I would be more than happy to purchase an S5 if T-Mobile was willing to apply the unpaid balance on my S4 to the cost of a new phone. While I have no evidence, it's becoming painfully clear that T-Mobile wants the best of both worlds - to not pay Samsung for the update (I believe they have an ethical obligation to supply the update) & to force customers to spend more money on a new phone. I have been with T-Mobile for almost 10 years and have spent over $20k because of their business model, but to me they have now become just another business out to suck every dime they can out of their customers.This is wrong, it may not be illegal, but it's deceptive, unethical & plain mean-spirited.

Doesn't matter man what T-Mobile said. It wasn't their product and at the time it is what it is.  When Samsung changed it T-Mobile had NOTHING to do with it.  There are lawsuits over this very issues, and T-Mobile was free in clear because THEY WERE NOT INVOLVED IN THE DECISION.  Samsung changed some things after the fact but T-Mobile isn't liable for any of the changes.  Also you have yet to show Samsung higher up saying otherwise that T-Mobile is in fact delaying the update.  All anyone has ever done is get some low level rep to say something to get you off the phone...

FYI I own a S4 as well as other devices, and I will be the first to tell I don't like Samsung brand too much and I am Korean, but that's a different discussion all together we'll skip.

• ryan717

Complaints to FTC and FCC filed for me.  I guess that's all anyone can do. 

• Petitions are interesting and FCC complaints make sense.

My next phone will be Nexus with Google's project Fi.  Lower price and uses both T-Mobile and Sprint networks automatically.  Twice the coverage and phone gets updated quickly. 

It will be even more critical with Google moving to monthly updates to get security patches out in a timely manner.  Samsung and T-Mobile take 6 months to even look at an update, how will they ever keep up with monthly security patches?

• Here you go.. the petition goes world-visible once 5 people sign it!

https://www.change.org/p/t-mobile-samsung-provide-critical-security-updates-to-t-mobile-phones?recruiter=360445272&utm_s…

I really wasn't that motivated for just the Android 5.x but with the bugs like stagefright it becomes critical that T-Mobile and Samsung don't stop supporting phones that are just 2-3 years old!

• ryan717

Great point.. I signed.  Maybe someone will listen and offer more than words. So far neither samsung nor T-mobile has taken responsibility and they've left the customer twisting in the wind after a $700 phone is paid off trying to force people to upgrade every two years.  Sure let's see.. with a majority of American Jobs getting lower and lower in the pay area -more towards McWages and Walmart jobs... that's really going to be do-able!  These corporations are not only out of touch like the politicians today, they remain amazingly dense.

Where is the T-Mobile Galaxy S4 Lollipop Update?

Read more: http://www.androidorigin.com/t-mobile-galaxy-s4-lollipop-update-android-5-0-release/#ixzz3ihkzHWSX

http://www.androidorigin.com/t-mobile-galaxy-s4-lollipop-update-android-5-0-release/

• tidbits

Telling petition will do nothing. In the past 6 years from petitions being passed around from XDA to all the Android fansites not once has a device been updated because of it. There was an AT&T petition that reached 150K and 4 years later that device didn't get any update. The problem was people believed carriers delivered the update and with that particular device the manufacturer said they won't support it. Europe boycotted we petitioned a carrier. HTC is in financial trouble now all spurred by European sales(they plummeted). We actually got better support from them now because of what happened in Europe. Motorola same deal, but they have been sold off twice and broken up multiple times in the past 3 years. Reason being European sales number. You ever wonder why they have better support? They have carrier testing, and they buy on contract. We try and leverage carriers, and they leverage manufacturers. Samsung has enough clout if they wanted to update something they could. They have nearly the same marketshare as Apple, and they can't do what Apple does? Let's be serious here :) How much damage to T-Mobile reputation if Samsung said We're pulling our products because T-Mobile will not allow us to support our devices. Samsung and Apple are T-Mobile lifeline right now. How many millions of customers could they potentially lose?

• I rooted my phone last week and installed a custom Lollipop 5.1.1 ROM. It's

been rock-climbing,  fast,  and there is no bloatware. The only

functionality I lost was wifi calling, but I'll live without it.

This ROM is superior in every way to the official software. Is highly

recommend it.

I'd post details about how to do it, but T-Mobile would just censor the

post.

• smplyunprdctble

bdaleypsu wrote:

I rooted my phone last week and installed a custom Lollipop 5.1.1 ROM. It's

been rock-climbing,  fast,  and there is no bloatware. The only

functionality I lost was wifi calling, but I'll live without it.

This ROM is superior in every way to the official software. Is highly

recommend it.

I'd post details about how to do it, but T-Mobile would just censor the

post.

You lost more than WiFi Calling -- you lost all the customizations Samsung built into the phone, ranging from the Social Media integration to TouchWIZ and whatever other "bloat" you didn't want.  Which means to many people, it's not superior.

It also means, at that point, you might as well have a Nexus device   Because you're probably running Vanilla Android.

Remember -- people buy Samsung devices not because they're pretty (oh, they're so pretty), but also because of the software interaction (TouchWIZ).  Folks stick with HTC generally because they like SenseUI.  Me?  I prefer Vanilla Android, so that's why I have a Nexus

And, yes, T-Mobile would censor the post because these forums are not for discussing the installation of custom ROMs as it voids any warranty (which probably doesn't exist right now on the device anyway).  They don't want to be potentially held responsible for someone bricking their device and the customer saying "I saw it on your forums... I don't care that I don't know what I'm doing, I want you to fix it!" [which, unfortunately, would happen]

• Social media integration? TouchWiz? LOL I never saw much "functional"  in

that garbage from Samsung.

Honestly, I've never heard anyone say they want a Samsung phone for

TouchWiz.

The ROM is modified CM12. Not quite "vanilla" Android, but vanilla Android

includes so much now why wouldn't you want to run it?

I was running the Google Now launcher so it looked as close to stock

Android as possible.

• smplyunprdctble

Google Now Launcher IS the stock launcher now.

And, believe it or not, some people LOVE the TouchWIZ stuff.  I found some of it "pretty", but not enough to deal with the rest of it.  I do know there's camera app enhancements the manufacturers put in (a friend of mine's phone has "selfie mode" where you close your fist in frame and it does a countdown).  You'll eventually find a feature or three you miss and will have to download an app for.  But, that's the key -- there's an app for that, whereas before it was built in.  Average user:  "Why do I have to have the camera app, then download SuperSelfie if I want to take selfie pics and then this other app if I want to do filters when this other phone does it all for me?"

Comparing hardware the S4 to the N5, it appears the S4 may be almost the same as the N5 (few minor differences like camera and that) -- and the N5 was significantly cheaper...

Samsung I9500 Galaxy S4 vs. LG Nexus 5 - GSMArena.com

• LOL rock-solid. Stupid autocorrect   .

• May be it was the change.org petition, may be the few tweets at t-mobile twitter id with nudges to provide the fix, may be whatever.. but something pushed t-mobile to make available a stagefright fix for at least the S4. But it is not automatic.. you have to manually pull it (easy though).

https://support.t-mobile.com/community/phones-tablets-devices/android/samsung-galaxy-s-4

It does pretty much collapse the probability that S4 will ever see a Lollipop update to near zero (hope they prove me wrong).. but I was mostly interested in getting the fixes anyway.

Lessons learned that you have to make some noise to be heard by t-mobile and that always assume t-mobile will not support phones you buy from them beyond a year or so. Factor that against the savings you get by being their customer.

I also made an important setting change in my messaging app to disable the auto-retrieve of multimedia messages. This will at least prevent any potential exploits taking over the phone while I am asleep.

Now I HAVE to take a swing at the "pillars of the community" here

"Telling petition will do nothing. In the past 6 years from petitions being passed around from XDA to all the Android fansites not once has a device been updated because of it."

We will never know for sure whether the petition did anything.. but within few weeks of creating the petition and sending tweets at t-mobile ids with link to it, the update with the stagefright fix appeared. So yes, I believe that making noise DID help

• tidbits

History has proven it. Go to XDA. Go to Android Central. Go to reddit. Do a search on how many petitions has been done. Not one single one of them has worked. There are still devices with 50k+ signatures that has never gotten an update. What has worked? Just look at what Europe does and how Motorola and HTC are doing the past 4 years especially in Europe.

• Somehow I knew it will rile you up and bring out that euro-infatuation inside of you You are in the wrong part of the world man.. why not just move to Europe that you love so much? No better employment/immigration opportunities there for you?

"History has proven it"

I guess you will not get the meaning if I said history can never "prove" anything.. Just like release of this fix after the petition was created does not really "prove" anything.. but the deeper meaning of "can never prove" is probably beyond you

• tidbits

Show one petition that worked, and I can show you hundreds that didn't. It the simple truth numbers don't lie and you can easily get those numbers yourself. You can also see how many times Motorola has been sold off and sold in parts. How HTC dropped out of the top their respective top 50 index when they used to be in the top 10. All of these you can find relation to their sales numbers in Europe and Asia.

• joetequila

Tidbits, do you work for T-Mobile? From all I've seen it seems like in order to be a "pillar of the community" one has to always defend T-Mobile (I originally thought it meant someone who was helpful)

• "Show one petition that worked, and I can show you hundreds that didn't."

Ok.. I will take you up on your offer. Here is one petition that seems to have worked:

https://www.change.org/p/t-mobile-samsung-provide-critical-security-updates-to-t-mobile-phones

Note carefully that the petition specifically asked for security updates or bug fixes (and not Lollipop) and couple of weeks later that is exactly what was released by T-Mobile! Works for me

ok.. now show me the "hundreds that didn't" as you promised..

(of course, asking me to research on my own is not fulfilling your words.. if your words have any value that is).

You are way too liberal with words like "proven", "simple truth", "numbers don't lie" and so on.. I am beginning to think that may be you can write some computer programs but do not grasp the concepts of proof, inference, statistics, belief, logical fallacies etc. So it is futile to try and debate with you. Goodbye!

• smplyunprdctble

A petition with 108 signatures worked?

Yeah -- I'm sure it was that petition that caused the action and not all the media coverage and the fact Google made an official stance on updates and that.

• tidbits

A petition that was never submitted... So exactly how did that affect the decision if it was never submitted? Keep trying.

• Wow.. TWO "pillars of the community" coming out to defend each other.. may be you two should get a room? More of you going to show up later?

Petition links WERE sent.. to their corporate contacts (PR, media etc.), tweeted to their CSR ids, ... since you DID bother to click on the link to the petition.. you should have also read the updates! So yes.. multiple folks at T-Mobile (and Samsung) DID get the petition sent to them.

I never claimed that release of patch "proved" causation (such claims are entirely tidbits folly ).. sometimes corporations want to act because people are beginning to make some noise.. sometimes not. But how do you define whether it "worked".. well my definition (feel free to offer your own) is that petition was created to urge a corporation (or two) to take a certain action and within just couple of weeks that action was taken! In my definition, it worked! Without being able to get insider info on their decision making process, no one can claim to "prove" presence OR absence of causation.. I doubt tidbits can understand the subtlety of this argument

Let's see if tidbits can keep his word about showing us "hundreds" of petitions that didn't "work".. I guess you will keep arguing around it and continue to try to cover your inability to reason logically.

• tidbits

Did you read the updates yourself?

4 weeks ago 8 signatures

6 days ago 100 signatures

No updates showing it was ever submitted. So you are grabbing at straws saying it worked.

• tidbits

I mean seriously man... neglect the fact Samsung roughly around that time the petition started Samsung and Google were talking about monthly updates for security reasons. The petition had something to do with it... I think not. I really think it fit in with Samsung plans to update the security of their devices more than 108 people petitioning.

http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-plans-offer-new-security-updates-every-month-its-android-devices

• You not only disappoint in your inability to debate logically.. but in your lack of comprehension skills as well...

Obviously you don't know how change.org petitions work.. there is no "submit" button. Petition creator/supporters send links to various decision makers etc. If you could comprehend the update I asked you to read, you would have found on the Aug 18th update:

"I tweeted to @TMobile, emailed link to their media relations email address and will be doing the same for Samsung." THIS is how you "submit" your petition to a decision maker. So yes, *submitted*. Care to admit your inability to comprehend what you read?

So where are the "hundreds of petitions" you were going to show us that didn't "work"?

btw, after bad-mouthing Samsung all over the place, you now want to proclaim they have turned a corner.. planning to do things better from now on... on their own... without any influence from noisemakers like us.. in our good 'ol USA, which is not the Europe where you would rather be if not for your wife? I love it when folks get twisted like a pretzel when they can't keep their thoughts straight.

• tidbits

Motorola Cliq Motorola did do the update and was already working on the update long before this petition. Motorola said Sharp didn't finish their display drivers. It got updated. All other Cliq did not and are stuck on 1.5 or 1.6

HTC One S

Samsung Behold 2. They got 1.6 and not the 2.0 they were "promised" from Samsung own mouths.

There's more on other carriers. A simple search you can find them.

For the fact that Samsung said they were going to do security updates on a monthly basis and surprise a month later the S4 gets a security update... Doesn't have any bearings...  yes it was all that petition with 108 signatures.

• tidbits

Of course I bad mouth Samsung. I have bad mouth every company over stuff they do. Samsung is notorious for it  I have also praised companies when  they do something right. But people only look at the negativity. It's a human habit to do so. Why do you think the news spits out a lot of negativity? Simply better ratings.

Much like how I bashed on HTC for not updating their products and leaving users with devices older than the One M7 without updates. To them stepping up and updating their devices faster and more often than they used to.

Same goes for Motorola. When Google purchased Motorola. They said they were not going to update their devices except the new ones going forward. To apologizes they have $100 credit to purchase a new Motorola phone.

Both these two companies so fat have done something Samsung isn't able to do while having less clout than Samsung. These two companies havery changed how they done things simply because they were affected by sales and not by petitions. They have become a lot more consumer friendly.

• tidbits

If you want to bring up job opportunities? I'd actually get paid more, but I choose to keep my wife happy. Of course if Trump gets in office I will actually be turning in my passport and will live outside the US. My wife agrees.

• elhj

I had this conversation with a Samsung Rep online after the T-Mobile Rep told me they didn't have anything from Samsung in the form of an update. I hope it helps put some of you all at ease.

<p> This functionality requires JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript and try again. To read the LivePerson accessibility policy, please go to the <a href='http://www.liveperson.com/help/accessibility.asp'>Liveperson accessibility policy page</a>.</p> 

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Valen'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK11256011816496X

Valen: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Ernest Holmes: Hello Valen, I would like to know if Samsung can offer any information in regards to the T-Mobile variant of the Galaxy S4 and rather it will or will not be updated to Android 5.0

Ernest Holmes: I know the current version of the software is 4.4.4

Valen: I'll be glad to provide the update details of your phone.

Valen: May I know the model number of your phone ? You can find the model number under Settings>>About device or also you can also find it beneath the phone's battery Which generally starts with SGH, SCH, SPH or SM.

Ernest Holmes: SGH-M919

Valen: Thank you for the model number.

Ernest Holmes: No problem

Valen: I see that your phone is currently running on Android™ version 4.4.4, KitKat (M919UVUFNK2).

Valen: Once the updates are available, it will be notified to your phone from T mobile as the updates to the devices are releases through carriers to the devices.

Ernest Holmes: OK so can you tell me if there is in fact an update for my model even if it is in testing. I've spoken to T-Mobile and they have said the don't have anything rom Samsung relative to the update. I find that hard to believe seeing as all the other major us carriers has updated their version of the Galaxy S4

Valen: Yes, as per our database the update will be available very soon. We do not predict the release date of the update to the device due to the fact the information may lead to confusion.

Valen: Not to worry about the update.

Valen: I assure you, the Lollipop update will be available for your phone.

Ernest Holmes: understandable. Thank you for all your help today. You gave me all I was looking for. A simple yes or no if an update even existed. So many T-Mobile customers with the S4 have had hat question for a long time and all we've gotten is a run around.

Valen: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Ernest Holmes: Nope that is all Thank You again.

Valen: If you are looking for more details on the functionality of a product or would like to find answers to some of the questions, visit us at SamsungSimulator for an interactive review of some of our Samsung products. Great to save to favorites…easy access to simulators!!

Valen: Thanks for chatting with Samsung Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive the transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Follow Samsung Service on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Ernest Holmes: sure

Valen: Thank you.

• Just another post to say Come On, T-Mobile, upgrade the S4 to Lollipop!!  I just switched from Verizon for better reception at home. I love Wi-Fi calling and good data speeds around Denver.  But it SUCKS to downgrade from a Verizon S4 with Lollipop.  I loved the interface upgrades.  It's like a new operating system!  I was using Lollipop for several months.  If Verizon gets Wi-Fi calling, I'll probably switch back to Verizon.  Verizon's Network Extender is a poor product, so Wi-Fi calling would save Verizon.  And T-Mobile's rural coverage in Colorado is bad.  So maybe I should just say, "Come on Verizon, open up Wi-Fi calling".  T-Mobile isn't maintaining any competitive edge when competitors match their price and data packages, but have much better networks....and when T-Mobile keeps a significant base of its users on old operating system versions.