Software Update page

droidusr

The Software update page seems to only include devices for the 5.0 Lollipop update. I am curious to know that if the 5.1 update was going to roll out if this page would be updated to reflect that and show which devices would be getting it? I guess what I am really asking is how is this page being maintained?

All replies

• 1ostsou1

Re: Software Update page

IT'S NOT BEING MAINTAINED

• 1ostsou1

Well I guess I was right because the htc m one 9 is getting up dated right now and its not on the the update page so it's NOT BEING MAINTAINED! !!!!!!!!

• tmo_phillip

Hey all,

Let me start off by assuring everyone that we are still maintaining and watching this page. It's one of our favorite pages on the Support site, and we're pretty proud of it, considering the amount of cross-company communication that is involved. We want to keep this puppy as up to date as humanly possible, but some things do fall through the cracks.

We mostly focus on big updates, like 5.0, and not so much things like 5.1, so that might explain some of discrepancies you guys are seeing on the page.  That being said, we're open to feedback, and if you guys want to see smaller updates like 5.1 on here, I can take that feedback and see what we can do. We want this page to be as transparent as possible, and you guys commenting on stuff helps us out with that.

Lastly, I can assure you I haven't taken any 4 weeks off, but that doesn't sounds too bad... Keep your eyes on the page next month, too. Just sayin'.

Thanks for the feedback and the patience, folks!

• 1ostsou1

Why thank you kind sir and yes it would be nice to see the smaller updates on there I know it's more work on you  but it would make us your customers feel a little bit better knowing we were getting an update or not ...and thank you again for your responsiveness TMOBILES SIGNAL IS OUT OF THIS WORLD. ..

• droidusr

Thank you for the clarification, I thought as much. It would be nice if it did reflect not just OS releases but updates to those releases as well. I understand not listing an update that is just a minor patch fix (T Mobile security update...). However listing software updates that Google has rolled out to manufacturers (especially when the initial release is very buggy), I would think T Mobile would want to communicate that to their customers (if an update is available from the manufacturer).

On a side note it is upsetting having a flagship phone like smplyunprdctble stated that from there very beginning hasn't received any love. Getting passed over for updates, watching handsets that were released before and after it receiving the updates first (almost as if they wasn't given priority like previous models have always received) is frustrating. Knowing that Google released a new OS or a major update to the existing one and then waiting for 6 mon to a year before receiving it is frustrating. I also understand that T Mobile has probably nothing to do with it. But it would be an uncarrier move to start (as a carrier) holding device manufacturers feet to the fire on these impending updates. Most of us buy the phones from the carriers, making us go to the manufacturer for support on software updates doesn't completely sound right. The carriers have a much louder voice then we do.

I guess if you could take 4 weeks off then your job probably wouldn't need you to come back...

Ok enough venting carry on..I'll sit and be patient

• droidusr

So I recently saw a post where John Legere say that T Mobile will now push their OEM partners to include an FM radio chip (or the software to allow access to the phones chip) T-Mobile says yes to the FM chip, will push OEM partners to do the same » TmoNews

Now if they can "push" their OEM their OEM partners (Cell Phone makers), to allow access to the FM chip. Why couldn't they do the same for software release? I mean c'mon Tmo you wanna make customers happy right? Hey if you succeed at this one point and get manufacturers to release updates pretty close to the Nexus line receiving theirs. Who do you think people are going to want as their carrier? Just sayin....

• smplyunprdctble

Pushing to enable FM chip in new devices is one thing (in many instances the chip is completely left out of devices, so the push is probably more for future devices -- but, definitely if the chip exists)

I'm sure they push with software updates as well -- the thing is in some cases, the manufacturer may have stopped updating the device.  You can only push so much to have something done.

I can push Walmart all day long to start selling the Star Wars toys they have in back that aren't allowed to go on sale yet (except that one guy who noticed the mistake and bought all their inventory).  They can tell me no all day long.

• droidusr

I'm not sure I'm following your Star Wars logic, or if your not fully understanding mine....

Anyways using your example, your right you could ask Walmart all day long to sell Star Wars stuff, but who are you just one small consumer. If you had a rally of consumers then you'd probably get their attention. Say there was a certain type of Luke Skywalker figurines being made and you asked Walmart to stock them. Well they can only stock what the toy manufacturer would produce. Would it be right for them to tell you to go to the toy manufacturer to ask them when they are going to make more? No Walmart would go back to the store manufacturer and ask for more because they have a high demand for this item. That's all I'm saying that T Mobile do here is be that louder voice, as many conversations come up about software updates and when is mine coming out. You would think that this would be on the forefront of a carriers mind.