4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2015 5:09 AM by drnewcomb2 RSS

why do people keep selling unpaid iphone 6? Why is tmobile taking no action?

This is the second time I have encountered this problem. First time happened in November and then again a few backs. I bought it off somebody at Craigslist and I called a t-mobile representative on spot to make sure it was paid off and clear to buy. He made me feel satisfied that this device is ready to be activated and completely paid off. Right now I am trying to check my phone status at tmobile link (Check if Your Phone is Eligible for the T-Mobile 4G Network | IMEI Status Check) its saying that this device is not eligible for resale and has an unpaid balance. Serioulsy what is wrong with t-mobile, how do they not have a hold of this? Will this problem ever be fixed?

• 1. Re: why do people keep selling unpaid iphone 6? Why is tmobile taking no action?
          theartiszan

Well when you call since the account isn't under your name all they can tell you is if it is currently blocked or not. For privacy laws they can not tell you financial information about another account that isn't yours.

Did you check the imei there before purchasing too?

Unfortunately this will not go away until people stop stealing phones and being fraudulent with their actions.

What most people recommend now is to go to a t-mobile store with the person your buying the device from and have them look at the account with you in the store that way there is account verification and the rep the store can tell if there see payments that yet need to be made.

That would not stop the original owner from filling a fraudulent insurance claim and blocking your phone after the sale either.

But having that transaction trail will allow you to get authorities involved if anything happens.

Not sure much else would you like T-Mobile to do.

• 2. Re: why do people keep selling unpaid iphone 6? Why is tmobile taking no action?
            winterjade

If the person that is selling you the phone has not defaulted on the payments on the device at the time that you purchase it then when you call T-Mobile it will show no blocks. They cannot and will not tell you if the device has been paid in full unless you are an Authorized User for the account the device was purchased on as this is private information. When the seller gets their money from you and they stop making the payments then the phone gets blocked as it is now stolen property.

If you bought a car off of Craigslist and then later found out it was stolen would you blame Ford or GM? I doubt it... If you don't want to take the risk of getting ripped off then stop buying devices from people that you cannot go back to if something goes wrong!

• 4. Re: why do people keep selling unpaid iphone 6? Why is tmobile taking no action?
              drnewcomb2

winterjade wrote:

If you bought a car off of Craigslist and then later found out it was stolen would you blame Ford or GM? I doubt it... If you don't want to take the risk of getting ripped off then stop buying devices from people that you cannot go back to if something goes wrong!

The only way to buy a car off Craigslist is to meet the seller at the DMV/tax office have them produce a clear title and ID and sign it over to you. The only way I'd buy a phone off Craigslist is to meet the seller at a T-Mobile company store, assure that they own the phone free and clear and have it removed from their account and insurance and put one mine. There are just too many of this type of story.