5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2015 5:38 AM by drnewcomb2 RSS

Bridge\IP Passthrough mode problem

I have my ATT modem as 192.168.1.1, and I had a Netgear router that I statically placed as 192.168.1.2 set to DHCP. I used IP Passthrough on the ATT modem so that the modem and router would be on the same network. The reason for this is because I have devices, such as a printer, connected to the modem by ethernet because of location and proximity issues. I wanted devices connected to the Netgear router to be able to print and access those devices, so the modem and router obviously needed to be on the same network and subnet.

I just got the ASUS cellspot and REPLACED the Netgear router with it. The Asus cellspot default is 192.168.29.1. I am unable to change my LAN settings on the cellspot to mimic the Netgear router. When I change my LAN settings to 192.168.1.2, it says the LAN and WAN cannot be on the same network. Are there any solutions to this problem?

• 1. Re: Bridge\IP Passthrough mode problem
          drnewcomb2

Place them on different subnets and disable the router's isolation?

Split the subnet using the subnet mask?

• 2. Re: Bridge\IP Passthrough mode problem

I may be your special project here. For your second suggestion, could you give me an example? 

With the first suggestion, I could just put the router as 255.255.252.000 (example) and modem the same as ...255.0?  As far as router isolation, I didn't see that as an option in the settings. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. But after researching it, that sounds like the right way to go.

HOWEVER, I just thought of another option, if possible. Could I just make the cellspot router an access point? That way it's just extending the range, while keeping the network as one. Is that possible?

• 3. Re: Bridge\IP Passthrough mode problem
              drnewcomb2

stoutman wrote:

I may be your special project here. For your second suggestion, could you give me an example?

The subnet mask is a binary number that that separates parts of your network. The normal subnet mask for a 192.168.X.X network is 255.255.255.0 (11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000)  This gives your subnet an address range of 192.168.X.0 to 192.168.X.255, although 0 and 255 are often used for special purposes, making the actual range 1-254. If you use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.128 (11111111.11111111.11111111.10000000) you split those 255 addresses into two blocks of 128 one block would be the addresses 0-127, the other would be 128-255. You can read more about it here (Subnetwork - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) The whole 192.168.X.X is a kludge anyway. In the early days of the Internet, few network numbers were reserved for use in testing local area networks. The 192.168.X.X network was one of these. The idea was that no router would pass these addresses to the Internet. It became the perfect tool to set up home and small business networks behind a router and NAT (network address translation) The only "real" Internet address is on the WAN side of the modem. All the 192.168.X.X addresses are strictly internal.

• 4. Re: Bridge\IP Passthrough mode problem

So I would be leaving the modem as is. Set the router/cellspot with a static ip and a different subnet than the modem. Set the range of IPs on the router. Sorry, but I'm still confused how the modem and router would communicate if they're on different subnets. In my example, modem on 255.0, and router on 255.128. Will they be able to talk if the router is 1.1 with a 255.0 and the router at 1.2 with 255.128?

• 5. Re: Bridge\IP Passthrough mode problem
                  drnewcomb2

It might be a good idea to not become fixated on one possible solution and go back and look again at the problem. One thing to consider is just how big of an area you need to cover,  I have an AT&T Uverse modem/router. The TM-AC1900 is more than powerful enough to cover my whole house. I've disabled the AT&T WiFi signal. I put the CellSpot router in the Uverse modem's DMZ. This way the modem's WAN address is reflected onto the WAN side of the CellSpot router. This allows me to use the ASUS free DDNS and lets the VPN  server work properly.

Thinking to your situation, some routers have a "mode" setting where you tell the modem what mode to operate in. Some have the choice "router" or "gateway" but I don't see that choice on the CellSpot. (Not having much luck with ASUS' FAQs right now)  You do have the option of turning off the WAN, DNS, NAT and other router features. You might be able to do this, possibly plug the modem into one of the LAN side ports and treat the router as a LAN switch. I hate to suggest this because you'll be giving up a lot of good features if you do this.

You could possibly also just turn of the CellSpor's firewall and make the modem your firewall. This would allow LAN traffic to move between the two.