Android 5.1 coming for all Xperia Z series, what are u going to do, TMO

Sony Mobile announce 5.1 coming to all Xperia Z in July.

Android 5.0, Lollipop rolls for the Xperia Z Series, Android 5.1 coming for Xperia M2 and Xperia M2 Aqua… | Sony Smartph…

TMO still owe us 4.4/5.0. We paid the full price for Xperia Z, are you still silent?

All replies

• e2k

Ask Sony, they develop the updates. The carriers only test.

Also, the article says that Sony will start rolling out 5.1 in July. That may very well be for the non-carrier branded phones, and which model gets the update first in anyone's guess. The carriers will require additional development of the ROM per their specific requirements. You're probably looking at 2016 when you get your 5.1 update.

As you probably know, T-Mobile does not estimate or otherwise announce the date of a software update before it is released. All you can do is check the list of device updates that are currently undergoing development or testing. But since the Z is not even listed as being in development (let alone carrier testing), you should really talk to Sony.

• I def disagree with you on that e2k because it is up to tmobile to release the update for their carrier branded devices not sony yes sony does make the updates but its up to tmobile to add in all the specific features they want to add like WiFi calling and all the bloat that comes with carrier phones myself personally just loaded my phone with the C6616 OS which is the unlocked version and im currently on 5.0 Yeah i lost WiFi calling and a couple t-mobile apps but it was well worth it..

• e2k

n00b wrote:

I def disagree with you on that e2k because it is up to tmobile to release the update for their carrier branded devices not sony yes sony does make the updates but its up to tmobile to add in all the specific features they want to add like WiFi calling and all the bloat that comes with carrier phones...

All of which is still developed by Sony. T-Mobile pays the manufacturers to develop the carrier specific features. Once the ROM is complete, the carrier will test it. After testing, they will either release it or send it back to the manufacturer for further development/debugging.

P.S., please separate your sentences with commas. This will make your messages much easier to read

• It's not Sony. Here is the version list, and they only release 10.4.C.0.814 (4.3).

283/292 is 4.4, 454 is 5.0, and TMO just released 5.0 for TMO Z3. Please use your brain to think. TMO just ignores the update.

From PTCRB.ORG

Manufacturer:

Sony Mobile

Model #:C6606, C6616 (PM-0520-BV)
                    Supported Technologies
                    and Frequency Bands:
                    E-UTRA FDD: Band 4, GSM: 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS FDD: Band I/Band II/Band IV/Band V/Band VIII
                    HW VersionSW VersionRequest TypeDate Certified
                    A10.6.A.0.454ECOMay 22, 2015
                    A10.5.1.A.0.292ECONov 7, 2014
                    A10.5.1.A.0.283ECOAug 25, 2014
                    A10.4.C.0.814ECOMay 13, 2014
                      • e2k

foxfoxfox wrote:

It's not Sony.

Yes, it is Sony. Here's how it works:

1. Google develops the base code (generic Android, if you will).
                        2. Manufacturers modify the the OS to work with their hardware.
                        3. When a non-carrier specific version of the ROM is complete, the manufacturer will release it to the non-carrier specific (unbranded) phones.
                        4. Carriers that want the update make a deal with the manufactures to code a version of the ROM that is carrier specific. This is where the bloatware and carrier specific functions (like wifi calling) get baked into the ROM.
                        5. Once complete, the ROM is released to the carrier.
                        6. The carrier tests the ROM. After testing, they either release (push) the ROM or send it back to the manufacturer for debugging.

foxfoxfox wrote:

Bands: E-UTRA FDD: Band 4, GSM: 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS FDD: Band I/Band II/Band IV/Band V/Band VIII
                        HW Version SW Version Request Type Date Certified
                        A 10.6.A.0.454 ECO May 22, 2015
                        A 10.5.1.A.0.292 ECO Nov 7, 2014
                        A 10.5.1.A.0.283 ECO Aug 25, 2014
                        A 10.4.C.0.814 ECO May 13, 2014

This is a list of non-carrier specific ROMs. It has nothing to do with T-Mobile.

Now, if T-Mobile does not want to pay the manufacturer to develop a specific update, that is T-Mobile's prerogative. Accordingly, T-Mobile phones will not get the update, because a T-Mobile version of the update in question has not been developed. T-Mobile cannot push a nonexistent ROM.

foxfoxfox wrote:

Please use your brain to think. TMO just ignores the update.

On the contrary, you are simply ignoring the truth. What I am telling you will surely be supported by others in this community that are more directly involved in the process than I am. tidbits, a seasoned developer, has explained the update process innumerable times, and can explain it much better and in more detail that I can. tmo_ryan (the administrator of this support site) can probably confirm this as well.

Even if your claim that "T-Mobile is ignoring the updates" were 100% true, it still would not support your claim that T-Mobile is involved in development. What information do you have to suggest that carriers have any role in ROM development?

• e2k

Moreover, T-Mobile's device updates page describes the steps involved in the firmware update process as follows:

•    Stage 1: T-Mobile and the device manufacturer have agreed to support a new software update.

•    Stage 2: During this stage the device will go through T-Mobile certification process testing to make sure you get the best quality software possible.

•    Stage 3: The software has been approved to launch and is now available.

Notice how step 1 involves an agreement between the manufacturer and the carrier for a new update. If the carriers were involved in development, there would be no need for a new agreement for each update. Instead, TMO would just modify the code, test & release. But the fact is that that manufacturers do the coding while T-Mobile just does the testing.

• tforce_jesus

Hi there, I know when it comes to software updates we all get a little anxious for it, but to stay on top of  the updates you can visit this link here Software updates

• The core truth.  Sony does not consier the U.S. market as a priority.  TMobile for whatever reason is not a priority for Sony.  There is no reason why it should take more than a month for an update to be developed for TMobile after it is released from Google.  Unlike Samsung which has a highly customized interface, Sony is relatively vanilla in comparison.  It's all about resources and time it takes to test.  In my opinion, T-Mobile and Sony could do a better job with their partnership but 90% of it falls on the shoulders of Sony.  For this reason, I've stopped buying Sony phones.  I love Sony phones and think they are superior when it comes to functionality versus performance.  They have a good blend as well as great cameras and battery life.  These are all touch points for most people in business.  However, the relationship producing phones are not meeting the expectations of their clients.  Seriously, their still on 5.0.2.  I hope this will change in the future but Sony needs to put more resources for faster updates and develop a better relationship with TMobile.