b987

I am not sure about anyone else, but I am sure looking forward to the release of Android 5.1.2 for the Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900T). The release of Android 5.0 was nice. The memory leaks it has aren't so nice. I encrypted my phone (if you decide to do this, it will cause additional lag). There have been a few times where the phone says it is out of RAM (how, I wonder)? I don't have that many apps installed and intentionally limit installed apps to prevent memory lags. I close programs, Force closing if necessary, and regularly power down or reboot my device. I give it a few minutes after booting up before I use it, etc following best practices. I wish Samsung wasn't so late/somewhat disinterested in delivering frequent and timely updates. Does anyone else have a better experience w/ other Manufacturers? I know Motorola phones tend to get updates very shortly after Google Play edition phones and sometimes shortly after Nexus Phone updates.

Maybe we will get a significant upgrade for the current software/firmware in the near future. I am sort of regretting buying a Galaxy S5. It's a 50/50 decision.

(I do realize the complexity of the SDL and the testing processes, there is no need to post that link).

Hope everyone is having a satisfying experience with their device.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Factory Images for Nexus Devices   |   Nexus Files for Developers   |   Google Developers

Um... as of this post, Android 5.1.2 doesn't exist yet.  Not sure what you're hoping for.

• b987

Glad you decided to go ahead and mark yourself as the correct answer. I meant Android 5.1.1.

Even better Android M. But we will likely not receive that until Q1 2016.

• smplyunprdctble

I can't mark anything as correct, so I'm not sure where you got that from.  Only the original author and T-Mobile admins can mark correct.

Android M will most likely be released in the fall (based on history), so if it makes it to the S5, it will probably be spring (based on history).  Feb 2016 will put it at the device's 2 year anniversary, so you may or may not see an M update as most manufacturers don't release updates after approximately 18 months.  I, personally, hope that manufacturers will start providing updates for a full 24 months since the specs are getting better and can handle them, but the money isn't in it for them to support a two year old device when the warranty is only one year.

My personal philosophy is manufacturers should keep updates up for 18 months, which means devices are "mainstream current" for about 24 ("Mainstream current" meaning the version of Android most devices are on, which is generally 3-5 months behind Nexus).  With most people upgrading devices between 18 & 24 months (history shows iFolk generally will get every other iDevice and Samsung folk will get every other Samsung device, etc, each being released about a year apart), you should have the funds set aside for a new device by then (or ready for a new EIP or whatever you do).  When you're in a position that you can upgrade without personal consequence, void the warranty you don't have on your device anymore and install a custom ROM (doing this also means you can't use it as trade in for JUMP, but you're almost paid off by 18 months, so you're not really gaining anything).  At that point, you're no longer supported by T-Mobile and you lose all the manufacturer customizations (TouchWIZ in the world of Samsung), but you'll be on the latest and greatest version of Android and it gives your phone a feeling of new to last another 6-8 months (or even longer). 

(Again, that is my personal opinion.  It is NOT recommended by T-Mobile nor the device manufacturer.  It does void your warranty [which you do not have after 12 months], and makes it ineligible for Device Trade-in or JUMP and ineligible for PHP.  It is not recommended for people who enjoy a lot of the customized features the manufacturer builds in.  It is not recommended for people who rely on WiFi Calling [this is an unknown at this point since it's now in the Android code -- I haven't researched to see if it's been enabled on other devices outside the Nexus 6 by the ROM community yet].  It's not recommended for people who can't handle weird oddities.  But, it does help your phone feel new [as does any OS update] for a few months to get you through to a next upgrade and save a few dollars.)

• b987

smplyunprdctble and whoever wishes to read,

It would be nice to have 24 months of support (From RTM updates by Google). Lets say that hypothetically, Android M is released in August. It may not be pushed out by US carriers until late December, or January, especially on the Galaxy S5. Lets say there is a bug fix and Android 6.1/minor release was Released in January fixing a significant security flaw or memory leak, performance issue, etc.

IMHO it would be great to see Samsung and the carriers go ahead and push out that update as well. The release date of the Galaxy S5 (SM-G900T) was in Mid April of 2014. That would be a full 24 months of support.

I don't say this out of a feeling of entitlement. PC makers generally provide at minimum 2 years of updates and continued driver and software updates as new OS's and Hardware are released. They work with the Manufacturers of the Hardware that they installed in their PC's. It is a much faster and streamlined process.

At least you know what your getting.

Samsung is minimally transparent at best (likely an overstatement). They can make good products, but they have very poor support. It is all about the sales. It is nore costly to attract a new customer than to retain a current one. HP is better than them (sadly).

I know many people have unrealistic expectations (and I do at some times as all humans do), I just feel like Samsung kind of says, you bought it (~$600-$700), we will throw in a few thrills and then we're done. Bye. This includes repairs performed by Samsung themselves (A Samsung rep informed me of the process). Pray you never need a repair on your device.

I cannot blame T-Mobile. They are likely caught in the middle.

It's all about transparency.

And a big Kudos to T-Mobile for implementing my suggestion on Improving the Software development explanation page. It is much more informative and whoever did it is much appreciated. At minimum it shows positivity and a company that listens and actually takes actions based on customer feedback. It could still use some work (Example: "Samsung has agreed to release Android 5.x.x to US carriers for X Device. The release date is unknown at this time, but we will inform you when we know more". Then update it when it enters the testing phase at T-Mobile). HTC's road map was brilliant.

But seriously, thanks again T-Mobile for working on Transparency. That definitely shows initiative!)

Thanks particularly to @tmo_amber_w, @tmo_jennifer, and @theartizen. Also thanks th whoever improved the Software update process page.

The original post was here: The specified item was not found.

One brief ?, are all my posts moderated because of that post?

Thanks. I look forward to your replies.

• opwog

Just received 5.1.1 on the S6 ad it does not fix any of the memory issues of 5.0.  Incredibly disappointing.

• At this point in time I don't want Android anymore. Lollipop 5.0 was enough for me. I am done with this OS.