Band specs

steveyal

Hi,

Once again searching for larger size phones. These are the specs for the Asus Fonepad FE375CL. I went to a T Mobile store and ran these numbers by a sales associate who said, "no problem, as long as it's GSM it will work perfect on T-mobile." I then asked what about the frequency bands, to which I was greeted by a blank stare, giving way to a smile and a charismatic "it's all good 'bro!" Needless to say, I am a bit apprehensive.

Will these bands work on T-Mobile and if so, to what extent 4G, LTE, 3G etc.

Thanks for any help....

2G :
    GSM : 850/900/1800/1900,
    3G :
    WCDMA : 850/900(8)/1700/2100(1)
    4G:
    LTE: 700(28)/800/900(8)/1700/1800(3)/1900/2100(1)/2500(7)*1

*1: May vary by SKU and country.Some storage capacity has been set aside for the operating system and pre-installed apps. Actual usable storage space may differ from advertised storage.

All replies

• e2k

Re: Band specs

TMO uses bands 2 and 4 on LTE/4G & 3G and band 2 on 2G. This phone appears to get bands everything except band 2 on 3G. This is a big omission, in my opinion. The phone will still work, but I would try to find a model that is more compatible, especially if you are spending a lot of money on a phone that you plan to use for a long time.

Here's the T-Mobile bands:

LTE Frequencies:

1700 MHz & 2100 MHz AWS band 4

1900 MHz PCS band 2 (in refarmed areas)

Lower 700 MHz band 12 (in development) / in service in selected areas

3G/4G Frequencies (WCDMA):

1700 MHz & 2100 MHz AWS band 4

1900 MHz PCS band 2 (in refarmed areas)

2G Frequencies (GSM/GPRS/EDGE):

1900 MHz PCS band 2

• steveyal

Thanks so much for your response, e2K.

So I have some additional questions: since my ultimate goal is the largest phone I can find, are there any recommendations in that regard? I am currently using an ATT unlocked Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 which is to my understanding, the largest screen (no longer) available in the USA. I'm happy with the size but am looking to replace the phone because even though I completely paid off the phone, the fine folks at ATT will not allow me to remove software OR root the device and there is software on the phone that actually prevents me from using the hotspot or tethering feature as the T Mo network is not recognized by the phone's hotspot authentication system.

I briefly considered the 6 inch LG on T Mo; but man, what a stupid design. Who wants a U shaped phone? Are people actually buying these things?

So, I had no choice but to look at Asian and European phones, where apparently people are more open-minded and embrace options. Now with regard to the missing band, e@k mentioned, how critical is this? In other words, in places I am currently getting 4G LTE with the mega on T Mo, can I expect similar service with the Asus or will this missing band effect overall performance and speed in all situations?

I may be behaving somewhat impulsively; but after what I've had to endure leaving ATT, hearing their splash screen tune every time I power up my device, makes me sick to my stomach and i simply have to get rid of this phone.

Any input is highly appreciated.

• e2k

If coverage in your area is good, the missing 3G band may be inconsequential. My AT&T variant of the S3 only gets one of the 2 major bands on both LTE & 4G/3G, and it works fine.

I suggest you call customer care and ask about the cell sites in your area. Don't hesitate to ask for your call to be escalated to tier 2 or tier 3 technical support, as the first line reps often have no idea what you are talking about.

I don't know about phablets, so I can't offer you a recommendation. Perhaps some other the other members can help in this regard.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • drnewcomb2

It appears that the Fonepad you quoted is intended for the "Asia-Pacific" market and as such, has only minimal compatibility with frequencies used in the US. let alone by T-Mobile. I'm shocked to hear that you were given such poor advice by someone in a T-Mobile store. Where do they find these people?

• miket

and unless you get a TM branded phone, you almost certainly won't get the 700mz band 12 frequency. That omission may or may not have any effect in the future depending on where you intend to use it.

question: does anyone besides TM use that band 12 in the US or the rest of the world?