1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 1, 2015 12:42 PM by smplyunprdctble RSS

Using WPA2 TKIP encryption will slow you down!!

I have been helping many friends and neighbors recently with connection speed porblems and discovered something I was not aware of until recently....    If you do not NEED it for older equipment in your home or business....

........   DO NOT USE THE  TKIP  setting under WPA2!!   TKIP is a much older and SLOWER and LESS secure encryption than AES which is pretty much the standard for the last 8 to 10 years!!    You are majorly speed limited by TKIP to the older wireless G speeds when you use it.  It pretty much defeats the whole purpose of having an "N" or "AC" speed router!!

In your wireless settings on the cellspot the Authentication Method setting you should use WPA2 - Personal and it automatically sets you to use the AES encryption.  If you use the WPA-Auto-Personal you have the choice of AES & TKIP... this is not as secure and much slower.

Most older routers offer TKIP as an option, but it is for much older computers that dont support AES, but usually those are also very old computers that really arent even being used much these days.  Practically everything is compatable with AES and you should never need to use TKIP in your wireless settings.

I post this though because I have an APP on my Andriod phone called Wifi Analyzer that is great for showing what channels my neighbors are using and which channels are more free for better reception (I recommend this BTW... I have mine set to channel 11)  But this app ALSO shows that a GREAT MANY WIFI users are using TKIP.  it;s a default setting on many older routers!

If you are using it, try setting it to AES only.  If there are no issues with your devices in your home or business you can see a major speed improvement!!

Hope this helps someone out!!

Cory

• 1. Re: Using WPA2 TKIP encryption will slow you down!!
          smplyunprdctble

I remember playing around with my wireless settings when I got my previous router (my first N router).

I remember being confused that certain things weren't working if I had certain security settings, and my Wii required whatever settings they were that required me to be on the slower stuff.

I eventually said "heck with it" since I haven't had my Wii on in a while.

Great tip though - I'll try to remember this info when I decide to play my Wii again.