8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2015 2:18 PM by astodolski RSS

Cellspot Router setup on a FIOS actiontec router

I just received my cellspot router and I am a little confused on my setup options.

I currently have FIOS and the use of their router is essential for my service. Router is an actiontec and there is no separate modem.

I believe I should plug the asus into my existing actiontec but not sure if I should use the FIOS lan or wan port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

• 1. Re: Cellspot Router setup on a FIOS actiontec router

raisinhead yes you are correct that you should plug the Asus router into your existing Verizon FIOS Actiontec router/modem. Use the FIOS LAN port to connect into the Cellspot WAN port, you should not have to touch the FIOS WAN port or any part of the existing FIOS setup.

Simply plug one end of an Ethernet cable into any of the 4 LAN ports on the Verizon FIOS router and the other end of the Ethernet cable into your Cellspot's WAN port. This will provide internet to the Cellspot router and you can then use any of the 1-4 LAN ports on the Cellspot to plug additional ethernet cables which would connect other devices to the internet. So:

Actiontec Router's LAN port 1-4 -> [connects to] -> Cellspot's WAN port

If you want additional devices (such as a computer, printer, xbox, etc) to connect to the ethernet then from there just use the Cellspot's LAN ports 1-4

If you're curious about what exactly the FIOS router's WAN port is even for: the Actiontec router/modem gets fed internet from Verizon via one of two ways: Coax or Ethernet. Coax cable is that thick cable you use to plug into cable TV. Ethernet Cable is a more recent method and would feed the internet in by connecting Verizon's ethernet cable into the WAN port of your actiontec. I'm guessing you use Coax

In general the WAN port will only be used if you are daisy chaining routers together like you'll want to do. Just like the FIOS router would use its WAN port to connect to the outside internet, you'll want to use the Cellspot's WAN port to connect directly to the FIOS router (which then connects to the outside internet).

I currently only use my Actiontec router as a modem and the Cellspot as the primary router that any other device connects to. I turned off the WiFi network in the Actiontec because the Cellspot's WiFi is much better and because of some technical reasons (I like the Asus interface for configuring my network vs the Verizon one).

Let me know if you have any additional questions or would like some pictures of how mine is set up. I actually have a more elaborate setup that goes Actiontec -> Cellspot -> Asus RT-N66U wireless router -> Ethernet Hub and both the Cellspot and the Asus router provide the same wifi signal to different areas of my house.

Cheers,

Pete

• 2. Re: Cellspot Router setup on a FIOS actiontec router

Thanks Pete. I will assume you are a FIOS sub. All of your other functions ( on demand, digital voice etc...} work

as they should?

• 3. Re: Cellspot Router setup on a FIOS actiontec router

Yup I am a FIOS subscriber as well. I actually only subscribe to internet now but a few months ago when I had TV and Voice + Internet I did not have a problem with this configuration.

I can confirm that my upload/download speeds are the same as they were before, averaging lower 80's Mbps for both upload and download speeds (which are actually higher than my service of 75up/75down)

Have you had a chance to configure this yet/are you having trouble with those services?

• 4. Re: Cellspot Router setup on a FIOS actiontec router

Hi Pete, I connected all as described but I am not able to ping or open in a browser the cell spot router.

I was somehow able to have it show up on my phone and that enabled me to finally configure some settings.

I really want to be able to access the other settings that reside on the asus router but cannot get there. My FIOS router shows in in my network but can't ping it. Any ideas?

• 5. Re: Cellspot Router setup on a FIOS actiontec router

raisinhead I think that is because the phone connection gives you a limited interface of the settings control panel of the Cellspot. Could you try accessing the router settings page by connecting on either a laptop (via wireless signal to the Cellspot) or by ethernet directly into the cellspot router?

Once connected, just go to cellspot.router, enter the default username/password (unless you already set a different one yourself), and then see if you can configure additional options. They have an "automatic" configuration screen which you might be able to access by going to this link:

cellspot.router/QIS_wizard.htm?flag=detect

If you're still having trouble once you go through that setup wizard or are not able to access it let me know. Thanks!

Pete

• 6. Re: Cellspot Router setup on a FIOS actiontec router
                    tforce_armando

Dave, we want to make sure your router is up and going. Pete's suggestions have been great! If you were unable to complete the setup, please reach out to us at http://support.t-mobile.com/community/contact_us.

• 7. Re: Cellspot Router setup on a FIOS actiontec router

Hello raisinhead,

It's been over 36 hours since our last comment so we are now marking this post as assumed answered. You can continue to post, and other community users may respond, but if you would like assistance from T-Mobile or T-Force, please create a new discussion.

Thank you!

Alissa

• 8. Re: Cellspot Router setup on a FIOS actiontec router

zepter wrote:

raisinhead yes you are correct that you should plug the Asus router into your existing Verizon FIOS Actiontec router/modem. Use the FIOS LAN port to connect into the Cellspot WAN port, you should not have to touch the FIOS WAN port or any part of the existing FIOS setup.

Simply plug one end of an Ethernet cable into any of the 4 LAN ports on the Verizon FIOS router and the other end of the Ethernet cable into your Cellspot's WAN port. This will provide internet to the Cellspot router and you can then use any of the 1-4 LAN ports on the Cellspot to plug additional ethernet cables which would connect other devices to the internet. So:

Actiontec Router's LAN port 1-4 -> [connects to] -> Cellspot's WAN port

If you want additional devices (such as a computer, printer, xbox, etc) to connect to the ethernet then from there just use the Cellspot's LAN ports 1-4

If you're curious about what exactly the FIOS router's WAN port is even for: the Actiontec router/modem gets fed internet from Verizon via one of two ways: Coax or Ethernet. Coax cable is that thick cable you use to plug into cable TV. Ethernet Cable is a more recent method and would feed the internet in by connecting Verizon's ethernet cable into the WAN port of your actiontec. I'm guessing you use Coax

In general the WAN port will only be used if you are daisy chaining routers together like you'll want to do. Just like the FIOS router would use its WAN port to connect to the outside internet, you'll want to use the Cellspot's WAN port to connect directly to the FIOS router (which then connects to the outside internet).

I currently only use my Actiontec router as a modem and the Cellspot as the primary router that any other device connects to. I turned off the WiFi network in the Actiontec because the Cellspot's WiFi is much better and because of some technical reasons (I like the Asus interface for configuring my network vs the Verizon one).

Let me know if you have any additional questions or would like some pictures of how mine is set up. I actually have a more elaborate setup that goes Actiontec -> Cellspot -> Asus RT-N66U wireless router -> Ethernet Hub and both the Cellspot and the Asus router provide the same wifi signal to different areas of my house.

Cheers,

Pete

I have the cellspot router in a FIOS intranet setup.  The WAN is supplied via a box called an ONT which translate fiber to copper signals.  That then is fed to the WAN connection via Cat 5e to the router and the set top boxes get their IP via MOCA.  I don't agree with the use of the term modem in this context.  Modems are what cable companies use to generate a WAN connection from the cable that is attached to the house.  Additionally, the document which accompanies the unit shows the cellspot router taking the WAN in connectionand then supplying IP to the remaining router and other connected devices,  That configuration does NOT work.  The ONLY way this unit will work is to have the cellspot connected to an available LAN port of the ActionTec router.