My understanding is that this phone is still on 4.3 Jelly Bean and will not update to 4.4.4 KitKat.  Any chance it gets 4.4.2 or 4.4.3 KitKat?

All replies

• e2k

Re: Will T-Mobile S3 ever update to Kitkat?

T-Mobile does not announce or estimate the date of a software update before it is released. You just have to keep checking back and/or wait for the OTA update to happen.

If they are working on an update, I hope that they skip KitKat and get Lollipop (once the bugs are fixed). I'd say it is not likely to happen until 5.1 is released & stable, if it happens at all.

• Thanks for the reply.  I am confident that there is NO chance it gets lollipop.  None.  It seems like the ship has sailed regarding KitKat on the T-Mobile S3.  Strange since all of the other U.S. carries upgraded the phone to KitKat, but I seem to recall seeing a response from a T-Mobile rep saying that they were not pursuing an upgrade to 4.4.4...it appeared semi-bogus and there was no reference to 4.4.2 and/or 4.4.3.

• gtwalling

Samsung has already stated that the S3 will not get Lollipop. As for KitKat this is a quote from another thread on this forum. Source The specified item was not found.

"

A reply email below from TMobile CEO Office.  I emailed him to find out the reason for delay on the KitKat push to the TMob Galaxy S3...Looks like S3 will not get Kit Kat upgrade from TMobile...

Dear Mr. xxxx:

T-Mobile USA, Inc. ("T-Mobile") is in receipt your email dated October 14, 2014, that you submitted concerning the above referenced account.

T-Mobile regrets any inconvenience that you have experienced in regards to a KitKat 4.4.4 update for your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 handset.  It is important to note that the releases of operating system updates are at the discretion of the manufacturer.  Handset manufacturers go through extensive testing to ensure that all components of the software enhancements included in the update are compatible with the hardware of the device.  After approval by the manufacturer, it is released by T-Mobile.

Please be advised that T-Mobile works very closely with the manufactures and are always looking at ways to improve our customer’s experiences.  Based on the manufactures recommendations, T-Mobile has made the determination not to update the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 software any further due to the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 having a dual core processor not the quad core processor it would need to function properly on the KitKat 4.4.4 OS.  We regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at XXX-XXX-XXX extension XXX-XXXX.

Very truly yours,

T-MOBILE USA, INC.

Carla Steele

Executive Response

Office of the President/CEO
              Desk:XXX-XXX-XXX extension XXX-XXXX."

• e2k

Thanks for the information, gtwalling.

Now that I know that there will be no updates to the S3 T-Mobile stock firmware (at least not in the foreseeable future), I'll probably transition to (or at least experiment with) a customer Lollipop ROM later this year as more of the bugs are worked out. I've been running stock firmware in order to have wifi calling, but I really don't use it or need it. If I do end of needing it, I could just flash restore a nandoid backup of the stock ROM and be back up and running it in 10 minutes.

Thanks again for the update.

• Hello! Looks like this post has been answered! You can continue to post, and other community users may respond, but if you would like assistance from T-Mobile or T-Force please create a new discussion.

Thank you!

Alissa