6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2015 1:43 PM by e2k RSS

Stuck Verizon Customer.

Hello,

I am hoping someone high up in T-Mobile will read this, not that I expect anything to happen

I am an unhappy Verizon customer who is no longer under contract and I want to go to T-Mobile after doing a lot of research but there is an unfortunate roadblock that I wish T-Mobile would remove.  I can trade my Verizon Iphone 5 in for an Iphone 6 which will cost me roughly 77 dollars (This is not a lie).  I get the Iphone 6 for 199 minus 122 for my old Iphone 5 and I pay $60 a month for 2GB of data and unlimited talk and text. So my bill is roughly $75 dollar a month w/ insurance and taxes (I get a corporate discount).  The key here is I am not making payments for the phone on top of my monthly plan, it is just the upgrade fee.

If I go to T-Mobile I will have to make phone payments on top of the monthly plan which, with insurance and taxes, will be more than what I am paying on Verizon.  I went over this with a T-Mobile store manager and even he said they couldn't beat what Verizon was offering.  As much as I do not like Verizon's bad business practices I have to make the smarter financial decision and they have shackled me to their services by offering this deal.  T-Mobile cannot match this because T-Mobile no longer does contracts, which I wouldn't mind signing to make it work.

I know I am not the only one in this boat and I would like T-Mobile to offer something competitive that could free those of us in this bind from Verizon.

Thank you for reading my post,

M

• 1. Re: Stuck Verizon Customer.
          gramps28

I guess it all depends on what you do with your phone.

The Tmobile Simple Choice plans offer you more freebies than Verizon's plans but

if you don't use them then it's not worth it.

Simple Choice International Plans | Unlimited Data & Text | T-Mobile

• 2. Re: Stuck Verizon Customer.
            drnewcomb2

Wouldn't it be boring if all the carriers were the same? T-Mobile is shaking up the mobile phone industry by being different. For most people it works out really well, provided they test that T-Mobile actually has good coverage where they need it. For many folks, T-Mobile just doesn't work. For them, there are three or four other choices.

Now, when it comes to transferring your service to T-Mobile, you have a couple of options. The most straight forward would be to just port out (in the last week of your billing period) get a T-Mobile SIM for your existing iPhone and keep on trucking. This is the cleanest way to do it.

Another technique that some people have used is to upgrade their Verizon phone to the latest model. Then after a month or so, port out to T-Mobile, trading in an older phone they have in a drawer. T-Mobile reimburses you the ETF you pay to Verizon. The older phone has zero trade in value but is still worth the cost of your ETF. This method is more risky.

I don't much care for the whole ETF refund program. Too many moving parts and what-ifs. But it's helped a lot of people get out of endless cycle of contract renewals. A few points. Always port out in the last week of your billing cycle. Carriers don't prorate partial months. Treat the trade-in phone as if it was cash of the same value as the ETF refund, even if it has zero trade-in value. Don't do the ETF refund if 1) you don't have an ETF (e.g. Edge) 2) you can't afford to wait for the reimbursement.

• 3. Re: Stuck Verizon Customer.

Not sure if this will help, but a single line Simple Choice planning $50/month, unlimited everything. If you purchase a new T-Mobile branded iPhone6 that would add about $28/ month for 2 years(can be paid off earlier) after which you monthly bill goes back down. If you sold your VZ phone and put that money down towards the new TMO phone, it will lower the monthly payment. That alone should bring your monthly cost below $75, and again unlimited everything vs. VZ data caps.

• 4. Re: Stuck Verizon Customer.
                drnewcomb2

I think it's only fair to mention that the $50 "Everything Unlimited" plan has a 1 GB limit on high speed data. Now, if you don't use that much, the unused balance goes into your "stash" for up to a year.

• 5. Re: Stuck Verizon Customer.
                  gramps28

That's for data plans 3GB or more.

drnewcomb2 wrote:

I think it's only fair to mention that the $50 "Everything Unlimited" plan has a 1 GB limit on high speed data. Now, if you don't use that much, the unused balance goes into your "stash" for up to a year.

• 6. Re: Stuck Verizon Customer.
                    e2k

If the OP is in an 1900 MHz refarmed area, he might consider keeping his iPhone 5 (assuming that Verizon will unlock it, and that he does not have the global version).

iPhone 5 CDMA model supports:

LTE  (4G)

750  Upper 700 (Verizon) / band 13  USA

850  Cellular / band 5 (V)  Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel

1800  DCS / band 3 (III)  Europe, Asia, Africa

1900  PCS+G / band 25  USA

2100  IMT / band 1 (I)  Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, Brazil, India, Israel

WCDMA  (3G / 4G)

850  Cellular / band 5 (V)  Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel

900  band 8 (VIII)  Europe, Asia, Africa

1900  PCS / band 2 (II)  Americas

2100  IMT / band 1 (I)  Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, Brazil, India, Israel

CDMA / 1xEV-DO rA  (2G / 3G)

800  ESMR / BC10  Americas

850  Cellular / BC0  Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel

1900  PCS / BC1  Americas

2100  IMT  Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, Brazil, India, Israel

GSM  (2G)

850  Cellular  Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel

900  Europe, Asia, Africa

1800  DCS  Europe, Asia, Africa

1900  PCS  Americas

global version does not support LTE 750/1900, nor CDMA

T-Mobile Frequencies

LTE Frequencies:

1700 MHz & 2100 MHz AWS band 4

1900 MHz PCS band 2 (in refarmed areas)

3G Frequencies:

1700 MHz & 2100 MHz AWS band 4

1900 MHz PCS band 2 (in refarmed areas)

2G Frequencies (GSM/GPRS/EDGE):

1900 MHz PCS band 2

Possible frequencies to use on T-Mobile

• LTE - 1900 MHz PCS+G  band 25 is a superset of (i.e., includes) 1900 MHz PCS band 2
                    • WCDMA  - 1900 MHz PCS band 2
                    • GSM - 1900 MHz

Thus, if the area has been refarmed, the OP can get 3G/4G speeds. If not, he'll be stuck on 2G.