I have been on the $30 prepay plan for 2 months and have exceeded my 100 minute talk time in each month. I didn't understand that wifi calls would count against my talk minutes.

So now I am considering a postpaid "Simple Choice" or "Simple Starter" plan. So I am going from limited talk/unlimited data, to unlimited talk/limited data. So, my question is: does wifi internet access count against my data limit, or only data on the 4g network?

Thanks for helping a newbie.

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: Switching from prepaid to postpaid

No.

Wifi internet access does not count against your limit since you are not using the T-Mobile network for anything with that type of usage.

• e2k

Wifi internet access does not count against your limit since you are not using the T-Mobile network for anything with that type of usage.

This is incorrect. Wifi calling does count as minutes used, and you are using the T-Mobile network when making wifi calls. Wifi calling allows for an alternate way of connecting into the T-Mobile network, after which, calls are routed through the network as usual. The only difference is the medium via which the connection between your phone and the network is made (wifi vs. cell site).

As stated in the official T-Mobile document entitled  Wi-Fi Calling FAQs:

How are calls and messages over Wi-Fi Calling billed?

There is no additional monthly charge to use Wi-Fi calling.

If you have a Pay In Advance line, calls made over Wi-Fi deduct from the plan bucket just like regular calls.

Otherwise, Wi-Fi calling uses monthly plan minutes for the following:

• Calls made from the US to US numbers
            • Calls made from the US to international numbers (subject to international rates)
            • Calls made from outside the US to US numbers (not charged roaming)
            • Calls made from outside the US to international numbers (subject to international rates, but not charged roaming). You must disable Data Roaming when traveling internationally to avoid incurring data roaming charges.

I suggest getting a simple choice plan, all of which included unlimited talk & text. If you are on an individual (rather than a family) plan, there is no advantage to switching from prepaid to postpaid. In fact, you are better off keeping your account as prepaid, as postpaid account will have taxes assessed (which can approach or even exceed 20% depending on taxes in your state/locality). Individual prepaid accounts remain tax free while all postpaid and family plans are charged taxes.

• smplyunprdctble

The $30 plan doesn't have unlimited data.  It's 5GB high speed data, unlimited throttled.

The $40 and $45 plans ARE limited data, but the $50+ are unlimited, but throttled after however many GB.

There's also prepaid equivalents of the plans: Prepaid Phone Plans | Best Prepaid Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile -- keeps you from having to switch to postpaid and buy new SIM and all those other things.

(There are reasons postpaid is better than prepaid, but if you've been happy on the prepaid side for the past couple months, I don't see a reason to change to postpaid.  Postpaid has taxes/fees on top of the price [prepaid is the flat price].  My comment is the cost of the taxes & fees are pretty much the cost of the "perks" that postpaid offers -- like more domestic roaming agreements, EIP if you want to finance a phone, call forwarding [like custom voicemail], among a handful of other differences between the two).

I don't know if prepaid shows you a measurement of your data (probably definitely not over past months).  Your phone should be able to show you what it thinks you used on mobile.  You can look over the past to see if you can fit into the $40 or $45 plan.

And, as others have said, WiFi data usage does not, and never will, count towards your T-Mobile usage.  You're not using T-Mobile in any way if you're using WiFi.  That said, some apps MAY only work when on cellular, or happen to turn on your cellular antenna while your device is sleeping.  The posts complaining about this are generally small usages (a couple megabytes a day), but it can add up.  If you are concerned about preserving cellular data, make sure you completely turn off your cellular data during times of WiFi usage.