5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2014 2:35 PM by maximuslyricus RSS

Is there an iPhone 6 (Plus) Wifi & Wifi-calling glitch?

My mother and sister each got an iPhone 6 Plus to my delight over the weekend.  My mother called me to let me know the news and I was amazed with the clarity of our call and asked her how many bars she had. She told me one.  In any event, all was well that Friday night. When I went to visit them Saturday, they were having signal/connectivity issues.

Of course my first thought was to get the WiFi calling enabled, but I noticed that they weren't even connected to the home network, or at least bounced from one network to another in their community. To make a long story short, I realized that the router had two frequencies, so I modified some router settings and got them connected to their proper network.  I then enabled WiFi calling and the T-mobile Wifi icon popped up and everything was fine.

Well, the rep at the store wasn't able to effectively help them at the kiosk to restore their old iPhone's backup to their new iPhones (as he is an android guy like me), so I decided to help them. After some research I figured that I had to wipe their phones and start all over again so that I could get the restore link for back-up prompt.  I went through all the steps for my mom's phone, and everything went as planned.  When it came to my sister's phone, the back-up process stalled because of no connectivity. I was trying to figure out how there could be no connectivity when the iPhone was showing connected to their network.  I noticed that the T-mobile Wifi icon had disappeared and that the phone was apparently on cellular, even though the WiFi control was toggled to green and the network was checked when I looked at the settings. I thought that maybe airplane mode may be on, but it wasn't.  I went through the process of restoring her phone a couple of more times before I told her to do the whole thing on cellular when she gets to an area with 5 bars and/or go back to the store to talk with them. Moreover, I noticed that if I just set up the iPhone, skipping all the settings, I could get T-mobile Wifi to work (according to when the T-mobile WiFi indicator popped up) when WiFi calling was enabled.

Perhaps I had only gotten lucky restoring my mother's back-up because her phone's antenna was just better, even though they are the same phones.  When I was restoring her back-up I didn't even notice whether the phone was on cellular or WiFi when I had success downloading her info from the iCloud. BUT...when I turned off her WiFi calling, I noticed that the T-mobile Wifi indicator disappeared. When I enabled WiFi calling once more, sure enough, after a few seconds, the T-mobile Wifi indicator popped up once again.

In any event, it seems as though Wifi only works on the iPhone 6 Plus when Wifi-calling is enabled. At least that's what is happening with their phones.  Has anyone else had this problem?  It's odd because my Android software does not need WiFi calling enabled to use WiFi. Furthermore, it  has options for cellular or Wifi preferred as options, which the iPhone 6 Plus apparently does not. Why would the Wifi Calling have to be enabled on the iPhone 6 Plus for WiFi to work?  It seems like something is amiss with IOS 8 and T-mobile Wifi and/or Wifi calling.

• 1. Re: Is there an iPhone 6 (Plus) Wifi & Wifi-calling glitch?

Just to give some clarity, because I am not well versed with the iPhone, the iPhone says "T-mobile Wifi" as well as shows the Wifi signal icon only when T-mobile Wifi calling is enabled. When the Wifi was ostensibly enabled by toggling it on---without WiFi calling enabled---the only thing that I saw intermittently in the left hand corner was T-mobile with the little circles by them, with one circle filled in at most.  I assume that this means the phone is pulling in a cellular signal, and not a WiFi signal, even though I verified that WiFi was enabled by the green indicator on the toggle, & making sure their home network was still checked.

• 2. Re: Is there an iPhone 6 (Plus) Wifi & Wifi-calling glitch?
            je_25

I didn't have this issue. My original issue was that Wifi calling didn't work and after a reset it did. If there are dots, then it is using T-Mobiles network. When it says T-Mobile Wifi that means WiFi calling is active. Unlike android you cannot set a preference. I don't know for sure but I have done some testing with my 6 Plus and it seems that it is "celluar preffered." If I can get anytype of signal it will use it. Once I don't have one then it uses WiFi. 

• 3. Re: Is there an iPhone 6 (Plus) Wifi & Wifi-calling glitch?

Thanks, at least that clarifies that the phone was on cellular.

It would seem that "T-mobile WiFi" should only show when WiFi is on, and shouldn't have anything to do with WiFi calling---whether WiFi calling is active or not.  On Android, when I enable WiFi, the cellular signal bars disappear, and the WiFi signal icon appears.  When I enable WiFi calling, the little green phone notification shows up on the notification bar when it's ready.

it would seem like there should be a Wifi indicator and a separate WiFi calling indicator on the iphone 6. Maybe there is and I just don't know it.

One thing is for sure though, when the back-up restore failed the phone said it was because of no connectivity. That's odd to me because I had WiFi enabled.  The only other thing that I can think is that maybe a person is unable to restore a back-up from the iCloud via WiFi (which would be kind of odd, if not a little inconvenient). Does anyone know if this is the case?

• 4. Re: Is there an iPhone 6 (Plus) Wifi & Wifi-calling glitch?

I guess that maybe the use of the term "T-mobile Wifi" to indicate that WiFi calling is active may have lead to the confusion.  It would be much better in my opinion to use the term "T-mobile Wifi Calling" as an indicator, if not a separate indicator like the little phone icon that is used for Android.  T-mo may want to consider tweaking the software.

This still doesn't really answer why the connection timed out on one phone, and not the other when I was trying to restore backed-up data from the iCloud, but my Sister got a new phone and it seems to have better reception than the first one. Her back-up was restored to her phone, and all is well (with both her iPhone, as well as my mother's).

I would advise anyone to back-up their old iPhones to the iCloud on cellular, and actually restore the back-up to your new iPhone 6 on cellular before enabling WiFi calling to avoid any connection issues or confusion.

Thanks, all.

• 5. Re: Is there an iPhone 6 (Plus) Wifi & Wifi-calling glitch?
                  je_25

maximuslyricus wrote:

Thanks, at least that clarifies that the phone was on cellular.

It would seem that "T-mobile WiFi" should only show when WiFi is on, and shouldn't have anything to do with WiFi calling---whether WiFi calling is active or not.  On Android, when I enable WiFi, the cellular signal bars disappear, and the WiFi signal icon appears.  When I enable WiFi calling, the little green phone notification shows up on the notification bar when it's ready.

it would seem like there should be a Wifi indicator and a separate WiFi calling indicator on the iphone 6. Maybe there is and I just don't know it.

Let me be more clear, when WiFi is on you will see the typical WiFi signal and the dots for cellular signal.  "T-Mobile WiFi" shows up when you are using WiFi calling and since you are using WiFi calling they assume you would realize WiFi is on(how else would WiFi calling be working). So, the WiFi and WiFi calling are separated. So if WiFi calling is turned on in settings but there are dots, then it is using cellular network.