Does t-mobile throttle?

Hello Everyone,

New here and I decided to ask the community about an issue I am having. I have a LG Google Nexus 5 and I have been very happy with T-mobile until around late August. Every since late august my download speeds have been as slow as edge speed even though I show full LTE reception. What makes me wonder if I am throttled is that the upload speeds are just as fast as they were before. I have called T-Mobile customer support twice already and they assured me they don't throttle, although they announced back in August that they would, and try to blame my device. My wife has a Nexus 5 as well and we swapped phones and I still get the same slow download speeds while she gets her LTE speeds on my device with her SIM.

I really can't use the phone without having to use wifi because my LTE speeds are not even good enough to browse websites as in 10 seconds or more to load.

If this continues I am just going to go back to AT&T. What is the point of unlimited if they cripple your speed to edge? I might as well just get AT&T and use wifi to keep my data usage down.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

All replies

• droidusr

Re: Does t-mobile throttle?

I understand the frustration, been there myself. I would contact customer care and talk to them about the possibilities of your SIM card going bad. It happens sometimes and in strange instances. The only reason they would throttle you is for 1 of two reasons (or both), you went past your allotted data for the month (which resets every month), and second if you were to download huge files and use Peer to Peer file sharing (which is against the rules). They would contact you and let you know you broke the rules before they did it. Kind of a warning before mom and dad punish you....

I hope your issue is resolved after trying the SIM card Swap.

• Re: Does t-mobile throttle?

Thank you. I never received a warning and you might be right about the SIM card because if I use my wife's nexus 5 I get the same slow speed. She get her normal LTE speeds with her SIM in my phone. Her SIM is an AT&T SIM though. I will go to a store and get a new SIM card.

Thank you for the quick response.

I forgot to add I have the unlimited plan which was why I came over to T-mobile.

Thanks again.

• smplyunprdctble

If you're paying for the Unlimited Data plan (The $30 data plan on top of your standard monthly charge of $50 for a single line, meaning $80 for a single line, different base plan cost on family plans...), you should never get throttled.

If you're on the $50 plan (base plan), you have 1GB of up to high speed data before they throttle you.  At the end of your bill cycle your speed returns until you hit 1GB again.  Unlimited data at throttled speeds after that.

The $60 plan ($50 base + $10 2GB add-on), you have 3GB of up to high speed data before they throttle you.  Unlimited data at throttled speeds after that.

The $70 plan ($50 base + $20 4GB add-on), you have 5GB of up to high speed data before they throttle you.  Unlimited data at throttled speeds after that.

The $80 plan ($50 base + $30 Unlimited add-on), you have unlimited high speed data and shouldn't get throttled.

Music streaming with the Unradio options does not count towards any of these data limits.

• droidusr

I would like to question how smplyunprdctble was marked with the correct response? All they did was quote the plans it didn't really address the customers problem. Seeing how switching SIM cards makes more sense then throttling taking place. Anyone can quote T Mobile's pricing the correct answer IMO is to contact customer care and troubleshoot the possibilities of it being a SIM issue. Since it isn't carrier related or device related that's the logical next step. Also since he never came back with a "hey that didn't work", thinking problem solved after my response.I mean everyone should understand the difference between truly unlimited and limited before throttling no matter which tier your under. Also noting that they already communicated with a rep who said they weren't being throttled. It seems he was just probing to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problem he was.

I'm having this issue with T-Mobile for the past 20 days my download speed has been ridiculous 0.40 mbps almost everywhere I go, I have an unlimited data plan I've been calling customer support about this issue which occurs every month since January and they always give me the same answer that there is nothing wrong on their end, I changed my sim card, I bought a new phone and still the issue remains, I think t-mobile is doing this to my account and won't explain the reason why,

• theartiszan

Just because they haven't found a problem doesn't mean there isn't one.

I doubt they are doing this on purpose.

Have you tested a known good sim card?  Maybe from a friend that isn't having problems.

I would continue calling them periodically and pressing the issue.

Be polite but persistent.

I actually did get a new sim card from a local t-mobile store no luck, as for testing my phone I did get a sim card of a friend and it worked great in my phone, I also did a side by side speed test having my phone and my friends phone run at the same time and its terrible speed for me, I even bought a new phone and still no change. I think im just going to leave this company I have a total of seven lines on my account and will start looking for a different carrier.

• I have an iPhone 6, I am on the unlimited plan and I too have been throttled. Back ground(my top speed is at 59 mbps and range majority of the time from 2-20 mbps it is hit and miss and not constant another frustration, btw I live in San Diego where I am suppose to have excellent service). So,  I have spoken to different technical support staff members and each has different answers.  At first I was told that I will never get throttled because I am on the unlimited plan, so the agent said lets figure out what is going on, wrote up a ticket to be sent out to an engineer to make sure the towers are in tip top shape; in the mean time he recommended to reset the network setting, turn off and restart the phone, then recommended to replace the sim card.  I did all of that and I am still being throttled, this has been going on since I started my service with T-Mobile 1yr ago.  Yesterday 4/3/2015 I spoken to a different technical support staff member and told her that every time that I reach the middle of my billing cycle my data speed drops down to KBPS speed I am no longer on the MBPS speed what is going on I asked.  The technician said that she noticed that I am using a lot of data 56.4 GB, she confirms which is not too bad and began to explain that they are lowering unlimited data customers who reach a high amount of data in order to be fair with the other people that don't use as much data as I do.  I said that I did not read anything on the contract that stated that I would be throttled to be fair to other customers who use less data, and the technician responded the same reasoning.  The technician wrote up another ticket to send to the engineers to insure the towers are working correctly and will get back to me in 3 business days to let me know whether its an issue with the towers and if not the towers than she is to confirm that yes I am being throttled back to aol speed ....I finally asked her if she has been getting calls from customers complaining about data speed issues and she said yes lots of customers  and the other thing that she has heard that is going on is that they are throttling customers that use an immense amount of data she assured me that it is just to be fair to people that don't use a lot of data.  I will repost once she gets back to me.

• So, Tmobile got back to me about my slower lte speed, they said that as soon as I reach 20 GB of data used that is when they begin to throttle me even though I am on the unlimited data plan( the $80.00 plan).  My phone shows that I am on LTE all the time that is not true, Tmobile is not fooling anybody just because it shows LTE doesn't mean you are on LTE, it is noticeable when you are browsing the web or when you are checking your instagram, the pics load very slow, and of course when you test the data speed on the FCC speed test which is in the kbps speed, this is not acceptable, this is not unlimited 4G LTE, false advertising.

• tidbits

Good luck  with that...  I can show you a screenshot of my wife's usage(it amazes me even) and it's well above 20.

Chances are either some of you are roaming(which has limits not T-Mobile fault), during peak times( more users less for everybody try maxing out your router connections and see what happens for example), or in an area that are testing new spectrum or towers.

• smplyunprdctble

tidbits wrote:

Good luck  with that...  I can show you a screenshot of my wife's usage(it amazes me even) and it's well above 20.

Chances are either some of you are roaming(which has limits not T-Mobile fault), during peak times( more users less for everybody try maxing out your router connections and see what happens for example), or in an area that are testing new spectrum or towers.

...or streams 15-19GB of Music Freedom and they have a 1-5GB HSD plan they exceed.

That's the word "unlimited" people don't seem to get.  It's unlimited data (meaning no overages or getting cut off), but not all data at 4G speeds, unless you have the $30 Data Option for it (which goes back to my chart above).

Also, I'm confused because in a previous post, the frustrated one says they used 56.4GB but was throttled at 20GB.  I, personally, as a nobody customer who has no say in anything, find that a little odd that one is able to use 36.4GB of data at 2G speeds.

The throttle speeds is max at 128kbps -- that's 0.000016GBps (translating since our data caps are in GB).  There's 86400 seconds in a day (assuming that full 128k every second of the day because we're <insert whatever mythical creature that is that doesn't sleep>s).  According to my math, you'd have to be slowed down really early in the month to produce 36.4GB of 2G data:

kbpskBpsGBps
                                  Seconds in a...
                                  Minute60
                                  Hour3600
                                  Day86400
                                  # Days#SecondsGB Usage

Since we're not on our phones 24/7 (erm, 86400/7), I would say the max 2G usage would be approximately half of those numbers (assuming unemployed teenager who takes breaks for eating and playing Candy Crush).  So, something in that post doesn't add up, but that's me not being an expert in their account and what they're seeing and experiencing.