bradgrant

I will be getting a OnePlus One very quickly. Perhaps by tomorrow. I would like to start an informational discussion about the phone and I will, also, post everything I learn about it once I plug it in and see what happens. Please feel free to begin the discussion without me and before I post information like APN, tethering and WiFi calling(if even possible.)

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: OnePlus One

WiFi Calling won't be possible -- at least until it gets finished being built into the Google version of the OS (aka Nexus version) and then ported to the OnePlus One.

It's not slated for the Nexus until sometime early 2015.

• bradgrant

WiFi is always possible. It is just that WiFi and the dialer are separated to stay more secure. They need to be able to simply talk to one another. You can easily make WiFi calls just using an apk. But T-Mobile lets you use your own number for WiFi calls through the standard dialer. Someone just needs to home bake T-Mobiles changes into the OS. Which I believe Android L will fully support and you can just port the WiFi calling probably will just be an apk that uses the OS integration.

• bradgrant

I, also, find it arrogant for T-Mobile to say "At no additional cost. For all T-Mobile customers with a Wi-Fi Calling capable device." when that isn't even true. Virtually all phones and tablets that can connect to an internet connection are WiFi Calling capable. It's just that if you want to use your T-Mobile number than you are forced to pay extra for the modified WiFi Dialer settings baked into the phone. So, I would argue that the additional costs are a reverse of what T-Mobile is saying. In my opinion, it is my number and I can do what I want with it. But eh oh well.

• smplyunprdctble

When T-Mobile says "WiFi Calling", they mean their WiFi Calling technology.  And, only T-Mobile branded devices [and now iDevices] have this WiFi Calling Capability.

Otherwise, it's "Internet Calling" (as you said it's identified in the settings) or "SIP".  Neither of these technologies require WiFi, as they generally prefer to be used with wired connections (Think Vonage and that which are connected directly to the router or modem)

• bradgrant

Actually SIP is built directly into the Settings in the phone dialer of the One. With the correct information it would be a simple task. I can also force all calls to go through a data network.

• smplyunprdctble

WiFi Calling is not SIP

• doctorbob49

Sad to say I am not thrilled with performance of Wi-Fi calling.  On Samsung S5 calls more than not are of poor quality or so garbled the other party could not understand me even though I heard them fine.  I called Tech Support and stated something would be done on their end to help the calling.  It ultimately did not and when calling again the Tech suggested setting Wi-Fi calling setting to Cellular Preferred which defeats the purpose of Wi-Fi calling.  I went so far as getting T Mobile's massaged router which is the same as my ASUS router with T Mobile's magic but not better.  Was on a calling two days ago and call on Wi-Fi started OK but became garbled for recipient but after few minutes became clear again. This cannot really be depended on for consistently clear calls.  I am now using only cellular in my house with usually 2 bars and works OK most of the time.  I will be interested to see if Lollipop improves Wi-Fi calling.

• smplyunprdctble

WiFi Calling (along with any Internet Calling) requires a decent speed Internet Connection.  So, your ISP has a lot to do with what happens.

There's someone who came in recently with Satellite Internet.  That's got decent download speeds, but HORRIBLE upload speeds.

The (land-based) providers in my area have "budget" internet plans as low as $20.  These plans have awesome speeds for basic web browsing... may work for streaming one device, but won't work well with any Internet calling capabilities (I'm sure you haven't tried Skype or Vonage on said service, but would probably wind up with similar results)

• Re: OnePlus One

Some basic questions here...

I have been using Google Hangouts, Viber  GrooveIP etc with my OnePlus One

on the Simple $45 plan for placing phone calls.

Switched off cellular, so only on wifi.

Are the apps above both wifi and cellular?   How do they relate to the 'wifi calling' folks are

talking about in this thread?

Thx!

• smplyunprdctble

It doesn't relate to the WiFi Calling folks are looking for.

WiFi Calling is a T-Mobile application that allows you to do calls out via your T-Mobile number over a WiFi connection.

GrooveIP and the rest allow you to do calls over a data connection (WiFi or Cellular) with a DIFFERENT number from your T-Mobile number.

The good folks at our local TMobile store offered me a free ASUS

WiFi Cellspot Router.  Model # TM AC 1900

Looks like a good unit; has 4 Ethernet ports for additional gear.

Haven't hooked it up yet.  I assume it, in effect, boosts my WiFi signal

in my house.

Does it provide any other benefit for home use?

• smplyunprdctble

Yes.

The router is designed to optimize T-Mobile's WiFi Calling.

It does nothing for non-T-Mobile branded devices.

It may give you better WiFi signal throughout the house.

Of course my OnePlus One phone is an unbranded TMobile phone.

I do have the TM Simple Choice SIM plan.

Will this TM router do anything for me?

Thanks for all the help!

• smplyunprdctble

It will do nothing beyond provide a WiFi signal that any router out there will (I swear that's about what I said in my previous response).

The WiFi Router's ONLY purpose is to give folks who have T-Mobile's WiFi Calling better call quality while connected to that router.

It has other features that other folks have clamored about.  But, if we're just talking about sending / receiving calls, the router will do nothing for you.

• bradgrant

I will update what I learned here:
                                    LTE works and says LTE. When making a call it seems to drop to 3G. "seems" but unsure. I used an activated SIM and the phone automatically picked the correct APN settings. I added a couple of lines to the APN just for a little more than a little less to cover my next base.

Tethering works and I'm using it now to send this message.

Texts work. MMS unsure as I haven't tested it.  There is Internet Calling in the phone menu. Even if it might not be able to support T-Mobile which I'm not sure it could support WiFi and Voice over LTE or VoIP in any case.  I haven't tested the Internet Calling and have no way to test it out right now. In any case, I will post test results as I get them.

There are several preinstalled APN's. However the changes I made were specific to see -hipri,dun- and -APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6-

Name: T-Mobile US LTE

APN: fast.t-mobile.com

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: Not set

Password: Not set

Server: Not set

MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

MMS proxy: Not set

MMS port: Not set

MCC: 310

MNC: 260

Authentication type: Not set

APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri,dun

APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

APN enable/disable: APN enabled

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: None

MVNO value: Not set

Greetings,

I just received a One Plus One.

Went to T-Mobile store with my sim card. Phone will not recognize the sim card. Service rep tried to manually enter info. Phone would not accept it. Tried factory reset. Still would not recognize card. Any suggestions?

• jescobaru

Hi there,

Try flipping the sim card. The exact same thing happened to me. I took my one plus one to the store. Two guys tried for a few minutes to make the phone recognize the sim card, but it did not work. As soon as i got home I tried myself flipping the sim card and it worked.

Good luck.

• bradgrant

The biggest problem with SIP dialer isn't calling out but your phone needing to check the SIP dialer network all the time to keep seeing if there are any current calls. It's a death sentence for a battery if it isn't plugged into a power source or used sparingly.

can we get an official answer or representation from T-Force?

I consider T Mobile's heritage to be that of an underdog. With that said, I think T Mobile should have great respect for oneplus. They too are an underdog trying to make an amazing phone for a fair price... They are the "un- smartphone manufacturer" . I would like to see t-mobile support oneplus by offering wifi calling two companies like oneplus. I am very happy with the direction T Mobile has gone with their uncarrier effort. And I am hoping that it can be extended two companies in phones like the one plus one.

• bradgrant

I wasn't arguing for internet calling anyways. I never use it and even if I did there are a dozen other ways to contact someone. Yes, it's convenient but I honestly never used it with my T999 and my T999L. I, also, never use much tethering which is why I'm happy to have a 20 dollar Unlimited. And the tethering works fine. So, overall it's not too bad. T-Mobile needs WiFi calling because of their lower regional scope range and their frequencies do not penetrate walls very well. Though I really only drop out here and there sometimes. Especially in very very old buildings with thick stone mason walls.

• smplyunprdctble

It's a combination of coverage in buildings and wanting to offload some of the Cellular Traffic when they upgrade towers for their Network Modernization project.

The problem with buildings is most of these buildings that the signal can't penetrate are work buildings and employees either may not be allowed on the WiFi, or the WiFi is firewalled to the point that WiFi Calling won't work (my opinion is at work you shouldn't be on your phone anyways, but that's just my personal philosophy as I just checked my texts at work ).

WiFi Calling is cool in low-signal areas.  It's wicked awesome when traveling abroad.  But, I'd personally not buy service from a carrier that didn't cover me at home without having to use extra tools (specifically for the reason that I wouldn't be able to bring my own device like you are).

• bradgrant

I'm pretty sure that the One is capable of WiFi calling. Most phones are. The issue is that Android itself blocks the WiFi and the Dialer from interacting. It is not a flaw. I guess Lollipop will open that door. However, I would like to see TMobile add my phone to their list of phones.

• smplyunprdctble

No, the issue is OS hooks.

There's specific OS hooks that are required for T-Mobile's WiFi Calling that Android doesn't provide by default.  They cannot be installed as part of .apks otherwise every ROM out there would have T-Mobile's WiFi Calling feature.

My suspicion is it's some sort of SIM Card Access because that's what identifies you on T-Mobile's cellular network.  Obtaining access to the SIM Card must require some permissions that aren't available.

Remember -- it's not just the fact you have a non-T-Mobile phone that you can't get WiFi Calling.  It's the fact you don't have a T-Mobile built OS.  The Samsung Galaxy S5 (T-Mobile) has WiFi Calling.  If you get the Google Play Edition, WiFi Calling won't work.  If you install CyanogenMod on the T-Mobile version, WiFi Calling won't work.  If, for some reason, you install the T-Mobile S5 OS on the Google Play Edition (assuming the hardware is the T-Mobile hardware for radios), you would get WiFi Calling.  Because it's built into the OS.

T-Mobile understands the value of Wi-Fi calling better than any other carrier out there... That is why it was their latest addition to their Un-carrier theme.  We don't need to sell the value of wifi here... We need to sell the idea of extending the capability to the oneplus one (and ultimately  others) . I love my oneplus one and I've loved my wifi calling that T-Mobile has offered me on my two previous phones.  Now I am emploring T-Mobile to bring 2 things that I love together.  Only T-Mobile can do this .  PLEASE

• smplyunprdctble

As I said before, there's Custom OS reasons WiFi Calling isn't currently available outside T-Mobile branded devices.  It's like nobody listens.

There's been an announcement that the Nexus 6 will have WiFi Calling available in early 2015.  That means that either the OS Hooks will be built into Android and/or the actual WiFi Calling software will be built into the OS (similar to iPhone6).

Either one of those two means that as the capabilities are going to be available for a wider range of non-T-Mobile devices as long as they can handle the newer versions of Android.

T-Mobile will not provide an OS build with WiFi Calling for every device out there.  That would be ridiculously impossible.  T-Mobile apparently has worked with Google to get capabilities built in, and the Android community is hoping this will be open sourced for all devices within a build of Lollipop.  We don't know how widespread this capability is going to be yet.

You're blaming T-Mobile for the lack of WiFi Calling being available across other devices.  It's NOT T-Mobile's fault the folks who designed the base Operating System hasn't allowed whatever is needed to make it available to a broader audience.  Depending on the results of getting WiFi Calling in the Nexus 6 (which is 100% managed by Google -- NOT T-Mobile) will determine the speed and availability of getting WiFi Calling in other Non-T-Mobile devices.

So, in short, the EARLIEST WiFi Calling COULD be available for non-T-Mobile branded devices (outside the Nexus, which has a date of early 2015) is probably next summer.

I understand.  T-Mobile needs to work with Google to allow their wifi on base code.  Today no phone gets T-Mobile wifi calling unless T-Mobile has rolled their own version of the ROM.  I would like T-Mobile to work on getting t-mobile wifi calling out to other handsets that do not have custom t-mobile ROMs (like my oneplus one) . That will require working with Google (or CM) . That's what I am asking t-mobile to do.  I am allowed to ask this and I hope others do too.

• doctorbob49

I know you are very sage on these issues.  Any idea how Sprint enabled WiFi

calling on some Samsung devices?  Prior to coming to T Mobile I had S5 with

Sprint.  They released OTA update that enabled WiFi calling where before it

could not.  Possible T Mobile could do the same or is Samsung different?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Now that Wi-Fi calling will be added to the Nexus 6, I wonder if it will come to the OnePlus?

• theartiszan

The oneplus used to run in cyanogen didn't it?

If it is built of the source from Google and that is in the branch of code they pull, it should work after they include it.

At this point, my understanding is that the Nexus 6 has some special code or something, as the seamless Wi-Fi will only work with the Nexus 6 and not other non-T-Mobile branded Android phones.

• tidbits

For now. Have to remember Google explicitly stated the Nexus 6 AND in the future MORE devices. That tells me its up to OEMs or Google. The code is originally open sourced by T-Mobile and Google started implementing their code started with 4.0 to now.

I did not know that.  The T-Mobile code is open sourced? Was that announced?

• theartiszan

The T-Mobile code has been open sourced for a long time now.

Just wasn't implemented by others until now.

Google just now implemented it with their new version.

• tidbits

IMS was open sourced since 2011-12(Don't remember exact year).  Google implemented pieces of it since Android 4.0 and now it's to the point where T-Mobile could work something out with WiFi calling and why it's on the Nexus 6.

• peteroq

I need to know if the OnePlus 3t supports wifi calling. That is the only thing that has kept me from buying phone