I'm having trouble connecting to the 5GHz band after setting up the router. It randomly disappears and reappears from the Wireless network list on my laptop and LG G3 (shows a strong signal when it shows). When my laptop does connect to it, the link speed is at max 24mbps but usually drops to around 6mbps even though the router is 15 feet away. Same issue with the G3. No problems with the 2.4GHz band for either device.
I tried changing the wireless mode to N only (laptop doesn't support AC), channel bandwidth, control channel, and authentication modes. I even toggled beam forming (AC and Universal) on/off as other people mentioned for the RT-AC68U with no luck. I performed a hard reset on the router to see if that would fix it but the problem still occurs. Checked for firmware updates but it has the latest one (18.104.22.168.376_2827). At worst it could be a bad 5GHz radio which means having to get a replacement.
I've been emailing Asus tech support back and forth and all they've told me to do so far is check firmware and reset the router.
Does anyone else have an issue with the 5GHz band or any suggestions on what else I could try doing?
Seems it was a bad radio. Sent for a replacement.
I've been having the same issues. 2.4 band works great. 5ghz band doesn't work for my phone.
Works with my laptop, but I don't use that one much because it's a work laptop.
Was it a hassle to get a replacement? Any shipping costs? How long did it take?
if the 5GHz band works for your laptop but not your phone, I'd ask if your phone supports 5GHz.
I have the Galaxy Light, and I've seen posts by others that indicates it supports 5GHz.
I can see the 5GHz SSID on my phone, and my "Wi-Fi Analyzer" app detects the 5GHz signal correctly.
The phone attempts to connect, but fails at authentication, even when I leave the SSID completely open.
BTW, I've confirmed that the Galaxy Light supports dual-band wifi, at least if the attached link is reliable.
So, I guess the question becomes "Is your SGL's 5GHz malfunctioning, or is it the router?"
I have the exact same problem. The 5Ghz goes in and out, I see it on Wifi Analyzer, but none of my devices can connect. I have an Xperia Z3, and a brand new laptop that has an Intel AC Wifi card. Something is up with this Cellspot. I suddenly started having problems (12/23/2014). Prior to then, 5Ghz worked flawlessly....
Turns out that it probably is my phone and not my router. I haven't had much time to do extensive testing, but here's what I've found.
My daughter's phone, which is the exact same model as mine (SGH-T399) is able to successfully connect.
It's possibly a firmware issue, because I don't know if I've installed the latest update on her phone. That rev was issued just about the same time I installed the router, so it's a likely culprit. I vaguely remember that my phone connected to the 5GHz band successfully when I initially installed the router. It was only a few weeks later when I was playing with SSID's and stuff that I realized my phone wasn't connecting properly.
FWIW, I've got a Galaxy Light (SGH-T399) with Android 4.2.2, Baseband version T399UVUANI2
Kernel version 3.4.39-2748916 dated Sept 11, 19:48:29 KST 2014
I disabled my cell booster from T-Mobile, and magically 5ghz came back. Very weird.
Your suggestion worked. Thank you. I'm going to address this with T-Mobile later. I have a signal booster in addition to the wifi booster cause my reception here is awful. Even with this equipment I am getting 3 bars and I am already on the second floor.
Retrieving data ...