Appplication denied.....

If this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it.

I received a letter in the mail today from T-Mobile.  In the first sentence, it stated "Thank you for your recent application with

T-Mobile.  As we informed you, T-Mobile is unable to approve your application for the service you requested."

I have no idea what they are talking about.  I didn't apply for anything.  The only thing I did was used Jump to acquire a different phone.  While I was required to make a down payment on the phone, no one ever told me that my application was not approved.

It also stated that "The reasons you did not score well compared to other applicants were...

ARE THEY SERIOUS??!!!  Since when is a credit decision based on comparison to other applicants for phones and/or service?

The comparisons to other applicants they used were:  My comments are in bold.

• "Insufficient property value." Since when does owning or not owning property have anything to do with owning a phone?
    • "Insufficient evidence of wealth."  So T-Mobile thinks a person needs to be wealthy to get the best rates and prices?
    • "Date of confirming source update." I have no idea what this even means.
    • "Lien/Judgement record found."  I don't have one of those.

Then it states that my credit score is 845 out of 1000.  It says that "scores range from 1 to 1000".   If that's the case, a score of 845 ain't half bad. 

I guess I'm at a real loss just what this is supposed to mean.  The only "hard inquiry" on my credit was when I signed up with T-Mobile in August.  Even then, no one said anything about not being able to approve my application and I never received a letter like the one I received today.   Any ideas?

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Appplication denied.....

a bunch of credit denial letters went out in error

• geno2733

Re: Appplication denied.....

This sounds like either someone trying to run a scam, or a clerical error in T-Mobile's billing department. I didn't have to provide "evidence of wealth" or have "excellent" credit to get on the GOOD Simple Choice Plan. All they did was run a credit check, and asked nothing further except for half of the device's price up front.

• Re: Appplication denied.....

geno2733 wrote:

..... I didn't have to provide "evidence of wealth" or have "excellent" credit to get on the GOOD Simple Choice Plan. All they did was run a credit check, and asked nothing further except for half of the device's price up front.

Same here.  They ran a credit check on me when I signed up for T-Mobile in August and I also had to pay half the price of the phone up front.  When I used Jump to upgrade on the second of this month, they never checked my credit again. (I've checked my credit report.)  I just had to pay for half the price of the phone up front again. 

Maybe this letter I received yesterday had to do with when I originally signed up with T-Mobile.  I don't know.  But the way it is worded and the things it says still makes no sense.