Note 4 battery drain

I just got my Note 4 on monday and since then I have had terrible battery drain. Mainly from the android system when I check the battery stats. It is so bad that yesterday I had to charge my phone twice. It is only lasting 8 hrs to completely dead with only 2 hrs of screen time.

All replies

• Re: Note 4 battery drain

that sounds terrible. i know you dont want to here it but, a factory reset is probably in order. before that tho i would check what apps are constantly running in the background in the settings menu, and disable the ones that you dont use(be careful that its not an important app used by the system). also go through each setting and turn off any "fancy features" you dont use. take out the battery for a few minutes. hope it helps

1 of 1 people found this helpful

That is strange ! My note 4 lasts almost 1 day and a half with just a single charge. Maybe there is something wrong with some specific apps.

So I think I figured it out. I read somewhere it could be a location issue. So I disabled location services and rebooted. Then enabled location services and rebooted. It has been a few hours and my battery drain has gone from 12% per hour to 2.3% per hour.

Just got my Note 4 yesterday.  Charged last night.  In 8 hours, down to 70% with several calls and lots of screen usage.

IMPRESSIVE!!

• stevetjr

Re: Note 4 battery drain

Also did you do the out of the box OTA update (although I never do OTA but rather use Kies).  Apparently one of the things in the update was "improved battery performance"

Yes, that was done yesterday after transferring my apps from my S3.

• ed60

Did you restore your apps or anything else from the S3? Please download your apps from the play store snd make sure everything is up to date as well as the samsung apps, also make sure your settings are optimized and don't set the screen brightness to the max,, now I believe the one thing draining your battery is the GPS so turn the location off if you don't need it for search and so but in case you need it long press the location icon and set it to power saving it is inconvenient this way where the gps and location are under one setting so always make sure the gps is off unless you need it for navigation,  last thing keep the power saving on all the time we and turn off any feature that you don't need all the time like the NFC ETC.

THIS phone's battery is really awesome mine is still on 79% after 16 hours with light to moderate use

I used the Samsung Smart Switch, which AFAIK just transfers data and the application settings (the latter not so much).  Because my apps are backed up at Google Playstore, those all just started downloading when I logged in to Google after starting the phone up.  All the apps took a couple of hours to download.  Then, I did the OTA update.

I'm now 12 hours in, and have 56% battery.  That's with some substantial use and the screen with full-on brightness.

Compared to my S3, this is heaven.  The S3, on a typical workday like today, would have been at around 15-20% by this time.

• ed60

Do you really need the screen on full brightness? If you make it 50% or even less ut still is very bright and nice, you're gonna feel more improvement in the battery life,  also make sure the power saving is on, and the gps is off, use the auto brightness in the outdoor and turn it off indoors if you feel the screenis dim, don't let the wi-fi keep scanning to notify you about any wi-fi near by, again as I said turn off things you don't need till you want to use them then turn them off like Bluetooth etc..

You misunderstood.  I use auto brightness.

I'm also a techie, so I'm more than aware of how to save power.  If you read my post, I'm getting at least 18 hours with WiFi, GPS, and NFC all on and with significant screen-on time.

I'm quite happy with the Note 4's power consumption.  It's significantly better than my S3.

• ed60

Sorry for the misunderstanding,  of course the note 4 battery is better than the S3, i had one almost a year ago before I upgraded to the note 3 which was big upgrade then I got the 4 which is  much nicer than the note 3 including the battery actually i was playing with my sister's S3 last night moving her stuff to an S4, and i was Gosh how in the world i was using this phone a year ago

rxlawdude wrote:

You misunderstood.  I use auto brightness.

I'm also a techie, so I'm more than aware of how to save power.  If you read my post, I'm getting at least 18 hours with WiFi, GPS, and NFC all on and with significant screen-on time.

I'm quite happy with the Note 4's power consumption.  It's significantly better than my S3.

Today, the first weekend day with the phone, I've primarily been on WiFi.  In spite of multiple calls, Internet use, and lots of screen-on time, I'm at 62% after 13 hours.

The best Smartphone battery life I've had.  (Not including my old Blackberry Bold 9700, which lasted days without recharging... then again, it didn't do much beyond GPS and light Internet capabilities. :-))

another thing that can cause a battery drain is when you install a micro SD card into your phone and create custom folders to store and organize the files.

i ran into this problem after i moved my SanDisk Micro SD (32gb) card from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to my new T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and about an hour later noticed that the battery was down from 100% to 88%.  i checked the batter usage and showed that the IndexService process was running constantly.

i also tried using a branded Samsung EVO micro SD card but that did not resolve the problem.

if you use the micro SD card to store the pictures and video taken by the phone (changed storage location) this should not be an issue unless you create custom folders and place files in them.  for me i like to have folders to organize my files (it does not matter the type of files saved on the card: .doc, .xls, .pdf, .mp3, .wmv, etc).

the solution is:

- rename your custom folders to start with a period (ie: MyMusic becomes .MyMusic)

- you do not need to rename the sub-folders within that folder

- do not rename the Android system folders (Android, Camera, DCIM, and LOST.DIR)

- change My Files setting to show hidden files

by doing this, the Android system does not see these folders and the IndexService process will not run constantly.

for example, i have a main folder called MyMusic with many sub-folders for each artist - i only renamed the main folder (MyMusic to .MyMusic) and did not rename the sub-folders.

another thing that i noticed was that these renamed folders are invisible to Windows when you connect your phone via the usb cable.  changing the view settings does not show these folders either.  you will need to transfer files from your computer to a folder on the phone, and then transfer the file from the folder on your phone to your micro SD card.

my Note 4 is working the way it should and the battery life is awesome.

• flashfox

The problem is that on my uSD card (32GB Class 10 Samsung EVO w/FAT32), I only have system folders and I only let the camera send pictures and videos to the uSD for now. "IndexService" sucks up 85% of the usage and my battery goes from full to empty in a few hours. The Note 4 also gets pretty hot.

If I reboot the phone then force-stop the indexing service, the battery drain goes to normal. But after another reboot, the IndexService comes back and drains the battery, unless I kill it again.

My next test will be to remove the uSD card altogether and see how it behaves. If that doesn't help, then I will do a factory reset.

All in all, this seams like a #Samsung firmware issue that needs to be addressed as I don't see this behavior on other Android 4.4.4 or 5.0.1 devices I have with external uSD cards.

There's another observation I can make about the Note 4 battery life.  When I travel for business, I find that flying from one metro area to another causes severe battery drain over remaining in the same area.   Similarly, when I work from home and don't venture out, battery consumption is minimal.  On days where I travel 40 miles to work, battery consumption is still low, but more than if I sat in one place.

It must have something to do with Android trying to figure out what to do with location data, or transitioning from LTE/4G/WiFi many times in a day.

• flashfox

Pulled the 32GB uSD card, charged and started. After 7 hours, available power went from 100% to 90%, which is more in line with what I expected. This consumption includes text messages, surfing and BT connection to my Gear S watch.

If this continues tomorrow, then it will confirm that there is a problem with the Note 4 and management of the uSD card. It's not normal for "IndexService" to kill a battery in a few hours while trying to "index" a few folders. Seems like it's in a constant loop.

I know that Samsung is not "fast" but I hope that they are aware and that they have an update in the works... soon. On my Not 4, a 32GB Class 10 uSD card from SanDisk or from Samsung result in the same indexing/battery drain problem.

• flashfox

As a follow-up, it's been 15 hours now and my phone is still at 65% so it seems like removing the uSD card did the trick. I will report back tomorrow to see if it's still as good.

Sorry for the delayed reply....when T-Mobile and Samsung were helping me troubleshoot my problem, they had me turn off my phone, remove the SD card, charge to 100% and start up the phone.  yes, the IndexService process did not show up and there was no rapid battery drain. i left the card out for 24 hours and the battery was down to 80% from just normal usage (calls, text, web browsing, mail download).

after i turned the phone off, charged the phone to 100%, put the card back in, and the turned the phone back on, i saw the IndexService process running again and the battery drain started.

after i renamed my non-system folders to start with a period, there is no rapid battery drain.  after 1 day and 19 hours, my battery is down to 65% with my normal usage (calls, text, web browsing, mail download - either thru wifi or data).

i will do this test and let you know of the results - using my phone, i just created 2 new folders (no period) on the SD card, and copied some files from another folder into them.  i will turn off my phone, charge to 100% and turn it back on - i want to see if the IndexService process runs due to these 2 non-system folders which are not hidden.