1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2014 7:23 PM by phamah RSS

Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!

Can a rep here  help me with something?  I ordered my iPhone 6 on September 29th.  At the time of order, I was assured by the rep that I needed to keep my phone and trade in when my new one arrived.  I paid for overnight.  If the phone had been in stock, I would have had it on September 30th.

it wasn't in stock, obviously...I am now being told that I will NOT get the value of the phone I am trading in on the day I ORDERED, but on the day I send the phone in.  How can T-Mobile justify that, if that is the case?  I am fully ready to go with another carrier, because between being lied to about getting the value "locked in" and the amount of time I have had to spend trying to explain myself, I am very frustrated with CS.  I am new to T-Mobile; I was switching based on the amazing trade in value.

I have reached out on Twitter and FB, and called.  I have been informed (albeit politely) that it isn't T-Mobile's fault that I didn't get my new phone before the values plummeted ($201 to $70 and $201 to $100, respectively). WHile I agree with that, it isn't my fault that the company doesn't have them in stock.  I ordered in good faith, can prove that my order was placed on the 29th of September,  and was advised that I would absolutely get the full value at the time of that order. 

Am I the only one that was misled on this, and did the rep that took my order lie?

Thank so much.  I just want my phone, but I'm not making the switch without the original value. 

• 1. Re: Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!

Hi - I have almost exactly the same situation and spent almost 2 hours online trying to get someone to resolve the issue. I also was assure that I could still get the trade in deal after my new phones arrived, but now I am only be offered $100 for an iPhone 4s. I even have the transcript of the online agent giving me the details. Customer service has been completely unhelpful and basically refuses to acknowledge their responsibility. This must have happened to thousands of people because if you ordered online near the expiration date there is no way you could trade in your phones. I called a t-mobile store and they said they wouldn't accept trade ins for an online order and when I tried to go through the web site, I couldn't complete the trade in because I didn't have an account set up yet. If I can I'm going to go back to ATT. It's not just the money - it's the unethical behavior that upsets me.

• 2. Re: Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!

I am so relieved that it isn't just me, but sad, disappointed, and furious

that there is no remedy. We, too spent two hours on the phone. I, too, have

chat transcripts. They are not going to honor this, which is disgusting on

their part. The reality is that the phone operator was ASKED TWICE both

before and after the order if we would qualify. He used the term "locked

in." It sounded legitimate. I had no reason not to believe him. For us, it

was two phones, so $402. That's almost a whole phone! My husband had opted

to get the Galaxy S5 so that I could get the 64gb iPhone 6. So essentially,

his phone was in stock, could have reached us by deadline, and yet, because

of policy, he also is not receiving his phone.

This behavior is unacceptable. While it is clear that they have plenty of

people to fill our spots in line, there should be recourse for this. This

is not a case of us not reading fine print. This is negligence and lying at

worst, and a refusal to stand up for your customer when your employee is

misleading at best. To make matters even more interesting, they won't allow

me to cancel so I can go elsewhere. I was told that I have to refuse

delivery.

I bought the phone while the deal was active. I ONLY bought the phone

because of the deal. I was lied to, and it's not my fault the phone wasn't

ready for shipping. I really hope they rethink this, because I'm not only

going to choose another carrier, I'm going to be very vocal about this

disgrace in customer service. I'm sorry, but ordering within the time frame

should count, and if it didn't, someone should have been honest. Because I

could have bought a 128 in store and opted not to, and I'm kicking

myself...though really, I'm glad to know what kind of a company I've

escaped dealing with.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!

We can definitely understand your concern ljones2224 and markalber Unfortunately, If a trade-in device is received after the expiration date of the offer, you'll receive the device's current trade-in value (on the day it's received) and a text message with the transaction details. Please keep in mind that you're under no obligation to trade-in the device with us. You're more than welcome to sell the device yourself.  Also, we'll honor our "best trade-in price" offer Best trade-in value FAQs

• 4. Re: Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!
                tforce_matt

Hi ljones2224!

We know it's important to receive the best value for your device! Do you by chance have your Twitter username that you tweeted us with available? This way we can take a closer look at this for you and see what options are available.

• 5. Re: Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!

Is this a serious response? Did you actually read what I said? Let me ask two questions. Does it matter that I was told more than one time that I would receive the promotional trade in value as long as I purchased my phones before the deal expired? Explain how someone could buy a phone prior to 9/30/14 and trade in their old phones when the web site wouldn't process the order until the new phones arrived? @

• 6. Re: Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!

That's not really the problem. The person I spoke to when initiating the

purchase told me (I was very specific; I did not misunderstand) that I

would be locked in to the value based on the day of trade. You can spin

this however they tell you to; the fact remains that at the time of

purchase, I could have picked up an iPhone 6 in store. Because I needed two

of them, the CS people in store suggested ordering online or over the

phone. I explained all of this to the CS person I spoke to. My husband even

got on the phone and verified all of this. We had no reason not to believe

what we were told, and as you can see, we weren't the only ones. That's

$402 for our phones. Last I checked, your company was offering $65 and $90,

respectively. We will not hit the $201 value again; you know this, and we

were only switching at this time for this reason. As far as being welcome

to keep our device, I'm not even sure how to take that statement. If you

pull the phone call (stated it was being recorded) you would hear Delbert

from Idaho promising my family the $201 per phone BASED ON THE DAY OF

ORDER. The truth is, your company sold phones you don't have, and by the

time the phone gets here EVERY trade in deal will be expired. That may not

be T-Mobile's fault, but it certainly isn't mine.

As an educator who teaches students how to argue effectively for a living,

I'm not impressed with any of the platitudes or rhetoric being thrown my

way. None of this addresses that we proceeded based on information we were

falsely given. T-Mobile ought to honor the value from day of purchase.

And yes. I do have the option of keeping my 4s. I also have the option of

keeping my current carrier, calling the BBB, and letting everyone I come

into contact with know about my experience. I realize that all of you are

just doing your job, but this situation is completely unacceptable and just

wrong. I'm quite certain that many of you that are responding know this.

Sent from my iPhone

• 7. Re: Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!

Hi,

Very well put! I assume this is some type of cooperate decision based on money, but I also think it’s short sighted. Why spend so much on advertising and create a lot of bad publicity with this type of policy. I too will do everything I can to make this unacceptable behavior public using word of mouth, social media, BBB etc. I care about the money, of course, but I’m appalled that a company will just outright lie to get a few extra dollars.

Mark

• 8. Re: Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!

@markalber, this response is even sadder than being lied to in the first

place. They aren't going up do anything. Why should they? They don't even

have phones to send out! I'm not even complaining about my lack of phone; I

just wanted them to honor their commitment. Now I just want remedy for the

$402 I was promised when I switched to T-Mobile on September 29th. At least

this provided a terrific and timely real- world example when discussing

ethics and morality in business this week. My students are quite hilarious

in their creative solutions.

I'm honestly just going to either keep my current phone or go with one of

the other carriers. The Apple store quoted me $105 for my phone, so that

might be a good route for you as well, Mark. That gets you a true unlocked

phone, too. I'm just not willing to do business with T-Mobile if this is

what I can expect from customer service. What I don't really understand is

why we were misled/lied to and no one from T-Mobile will step up and take a

stand for their customers.

Sent from my iPhone

• 9. Re: Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!

Matt, I sure do, but the reply was the same as what I've been told here.

I'd be ok with that, if that had been what I was told by CS reps online and

over the phone. The nonsense I've witnessed over this release is epic. Part

of the reason I didn't purchase in store was that one of CS reps I spoke to

there suggested I could get my phone faster if I added two or more

accessories to my order. I mean, really? This whole situation is just sad.

I honestly don't understand why I was told one thing and now another.

That's the real issue here. I spoke to two other reps via chat online

before calling and making the switch; I was told the same thing all three

times. Which part of that is not coming through? Why is that not being

addressed? I'm pretty sure that Mark and I are not the only people this has

happened to. Bottom line: told I was locked in, told to keep my phone till

delivery of new, new phone ordered within the promotion date, T-Mobile

unable to deliver phone within promo time  (not T-Mobile's fault, but not

mine, either).

Given all of that, don't any of you see why this is unacceptable? I could

have an AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint iPhone in hand WITH the $200 value for

each phone applied well before now. Because I believed false promises and

all the advertising put out by T-Mobile, I chose YOUR company. Why aren't

you choosing to honor your commitment to customer service? Completely

UNacceptable, UNcarrier. Is there a higher up that can look into this for

us? I know all of you here are just doing your job. I appreciate the polite

responses, and I empathize with the position you are in. I'm just not

remotely understanding the choices your company is making.

Sent from my iPhone

• 10. Re: Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!

To add to this mess:

Verizon is offering $200 if I purchase an iPhone 6. So I am thinking YAY!!!!  I will actually just walk into a store, get my trade in value, suck it up and buy a 128 GB, and voila!  New phone, despite my skepticism of all things T-Mobile right now.

...And T-Mobile won't honor this because it's a promotional value?  Exactly what does a price matching policy mean?  I am really just appalled at the ridiculous absurdity of this entire situation.

Really, I just want the value I was PROMISED BY DELBERT FROM IDAHO on9/29.  It was $201.

Mark was offered the same, and many others, I am sure. I have a feeling it's going to get very ugly up in here when those phones arrive and the promised values aren't upheld.

Is there a higher up incorporate that I can call? Because, really--y'all are lovely and I don't blame ANY of the very kind reps that have been addressing this here. However, your company higher ups is sanctioning lying to customers, and I am over it.  No one on Twitter is saying anything different.  No one on FB is saying anything different.  It's just the blah blah- day of trade in- you are mistaken- blahblah blahhhh.

I am NOT mistaken.  I know what I was told (several times!) via phone.

• 11. Re: Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!

This is very distressing, to say the least.

i, too, ordered an iPhone 6 in-store on September 29, and it certainly WAS because T-Mobile was matching the trade-in prices and quoted me $201. My sales rep said that even though the iPhone 6 64 GB was out of stock and. I would trade in my phone when I received the new one, I would definitely get the value quoted on the day I ordered.

now I have been waiting two weeks for my phone, and if it turns out I won't get the $201 I was quoted, (and I made sure my rep initialed the page with the quote on it) I will cancel my whole order and stick with my current phone and carrier. I chose to switch to T-Mobile because of their good deals and because they didn't seem to pull the same old tricks as the other companies.

Our trade-in values from when we ordered and "locked-in" must be valued.

• 12. Re: Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!

In your case, a rep initialed it, and you might be ok. All I received was a

signed EIN, and though the rep "assured" me the value as of that day ($201)

was in the notes, when we called, it mysteriously wasn't.

On Twitter yesterday, I was informed that even if I had a signed copy, TMo

doesn't give the true value till they receive the device and that I might

not have gotten $201, anyway.  That is disturbing on a totally different

level. In your case, I would call and verify. I can tell you that I was

told that they would not review the phone call and if I had chat

screenshots, it didn't matter. I hope you do qualify/find a loophole. If

you do, let me know.

I think if I can figure out how to get this order cancelled, I'm going to

purchase from Apple and go with a different carrier. Tmobile quite

obviously neither wants nor needs my business enough to stand behind what

their employees told me. It's not about the money at this point.

Sent from my iPhone

• 13. Re: Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!

Yes that IS disturbing on a whole 'nother level.

Well I just found out I was charged for my new phone so it should be on the way soon and I will find out for sure.

• 14. Re: Trade In Value has changed, but set up new account prior.  Help!

YAY!!!!!  PLEASE report back here if they do, in fact, give you the full value.  I am super curious!

1 2 Previous Next