1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2014 4:38 PM by tforce_donovan RSS

Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls

Help.  I had no trouble setting up the cellspot router with my Comcast modem / Blast service.  I connected my Samsung Galaxy Lite phone just fine.  I can get to the internet fine.  My LAN behind the Cellspot router works fine.  But I can't make a call out-- it says "dialing" then hangs up immediately and flashes up "congratulations, you've just made your first Internet call" or something like that.  (It says it for all the attempts.)  Also I can't get incoming calls--the phone never rings, and the person calling gets voicemail immediately.  But I can send texts and they are received as expected.  I get notifications of new voicemail, eventually.  Some texts have come in, but the most recent one, replying to a text I sent (2 hours ago), definitely has not.

So basically the phone won't ring and I can't dial out completely.  Texts are somewhat unpredictable.  It's a brand new, hardly touched phone from my local T-Mobile store.

When I called the store yesterday, my sales rep went online and "verified my E911 address" [eventually...this after an hour of him trying to get a tech to help him].  Then that once I was able to call the store and the call went through.  I figured the problem was fixed, but today, come to find out that's the only call I've been able to make.

• 1. Re: Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls
          ed60

mine works fine but I have Time Warner, but I know that Comcast are so sweet and have their own ideas, there's no telling if they block VOIP or whatever,  did your phone work with a previous router you had? have you tried it with a different wifi?

the router has been really fine, but for a certain reason today it acted weird I don't know why it just stopped and I tried to reboot it, didn't help, it works then stops, so I rebooted the modem that took a long time to reboot I don't know if there was an issue from TWC side, it didn't help and it changed the ip address? I ended up resetting the router, it works fine so far

• 2. Re: Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls

Would appear that the 2.4Ghz is defective on this brand-new, out-of-the-box T-Mobile router.  I switched to 5Ghz, and all the backed up, undelivered messages came rolling in, plus I was able to call out.

• 3. Re: Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls

Yes, the phone can/did connect to the internet fine via my previous LAN (Netgear) router, 2.4Ghz, prior to installing the T-Mobile Cellspot router.  Never tried the 5Ghz on the regular router.

• 4. Re: Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls
                ed60

actually both bands work fine on my router but let me ask you this, have you performed a speed test to check the 2.4 GHZ speed, if it's much different than the 5 GHZ you might need to change the channel, especially if there's lots of other WI FIs around you, I did that

• 5. Re: Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls
                  ed60

so where you able to make wi fi calling with your old router?

• 6. Re: Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls

Actually, I did not try to make a call with my old router, believing that if I were able to, I wouldn't need the new router.  Am I wrong?  Is the only advantage to the T-Mobile router that it sends the ring signal, but dialing out is the same?

• 7. Re: Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls

I had not considered 2.4Ghz bandwidth problems or channel overlaps.  We live where there are only 2 routers "visible," mine, and my neighbor's (now 3, including my Cellspot).  However, I do have other 2.4Ghz devices:  notably, my other router!  Perhaps the channels are set the same...I will check tomorrow.

• 8. Re: Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls
                        ed60

I had a netgear before the cellspot, and I was able to make wifi calling as well, but the cellspot is faster it actually dials numbers faster than the cellular network, I always prefer to use the 5GHZ band since it's faster with minimal interference, when I did a speedtest on the cellspot, the 5 GHZ was fine, but the 2.4 had 15-20% less speed, I had the Genie application that comes with the netgear, so I checked the wifis around me and of course most of the people use channel 1,6 or 11, the cell spot comes with auto channel by default so I left the 5 GHZ as it is on auto but for the 2.4  I kept playing with the channels and the one that worked for me was channel 8 it gives me the same speed like the 5 GHZ, you can check that, and if your devices supports the 5 GHZ you better use it, if you still can't make wifi calls ou might need to try your phone on a different network preferably not a Comcast loll I don't trust nor like them

• 9. Re: Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls

End Result.  I took the router back.  It just was terribly inconsistent, whether on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz and no matter what channels I selected.  Each time I would make a change, the router would work for 1 call or 1 set of incoming texts.  Then, with the phone sitting in the same location, it would not work again--would not send a text, would hang up the call I tried to make.

Upon returning the router, T-Mobile told me that ed60, you are right--I should be able to make/receive calls through my Netgear router.  Why, oh why didn't they say that before?

• 10. Re: Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls
                            ed60

well this router is more powerful and sophisticated than my almost 3 years old netgear which wasn't the latest model when I bought it, it was a nice powerful router but the cellspot is nicer though, I have no clue why it didn't work for you, I am using it since I got it and it works fine except that one incident when I had to reset it, to be honest I don't know what happened nor why it happened, as I said it connects faster to the devices than my netgear, the 2.4 GHZ speed is faster on the cellspot in case I am not sitting near it, I get the same speed like the 5 GHZ while sitting in the upper level of the house which wasn't the case with the netgear, I dunno what to say, I am sorry it didn't work for you, hopefully  you're being able to make clear wifi calls over your netgear router

• 11. Re: Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls

ed60, you've been very kind and helpful, thank you.

Things just happen.

{.}          http://www.dbouchette.com

• 12. Re: Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls
                                ed60

You're welcome i just wish you didn't give up so quick and returned the router we could have tried some more i love this kind of challenges,  and normally it works for me with some patience,  but hey everyone is different,  you can still get another one

• 13. Re: Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls
                                  ed60

You know what else i have a feeling your issues are coming from Comcast,  THEY ARE TERRIBLE,  i pray to God everyday that they won't buy TWC they are not sweet themselves but considered angels in comparison

• 14. Re: Cellspot router works for internet, not phone calls

We're that the router didn't work out for you shouldbe Thank you for giving it a try. Our router is designed to prioritize WiFi calls over other traffic. ed60, thank you for being so helpful

1 2 Previous Next