1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2016 1:23 PM by tmo_chrisl RSS

Cellspot (Asus TM-AC1900) - How to ensuring multiple devices with the same port requirements (xbox live) ALL have open NAT with cellspot?

I guess I should start out by saying my knowledge of networking is intermediate (maybe?) I've learned everything I know from troubleshooting our home network with regards to conflicting devices, incompetent techs, several wifi networks in close proximity, constant disconnects, etc. So if I'm missing something obvious or something to that effect, just be kind please

So, in our home we have 2 xbox 360 consoles and 2 Xbox one consoles. The majority of the time, 2 of the consoles are running at once (sometimes 3, rarely 4, but OFTEN we are swapping between all 4). The issue that arises with xbox live devices is that 1.) a single live device usually requires port forwarding to open the NAT and 2.) when more than one live device exists on the network, generally, even with port forwarding, only one will remain open while the other is either strict or moderate (because you can only put the IP of one device in for port forwarding). I've remedied this in the past (although when we only had 2 xbox live devices on at once) by putting one in port forwarding and the other in DMZ, and I know I've figured out other ways (I think as long as you forward the ports with any active device's IP on the network, some routers do it for ALL the devices on the network), and with any gateway I just always did passthrough and put a router behind it because (at least the ones I had) were incapable of forwarding the ports for multiple devices.

For the past year or so though we've been using the Netgear WNDR3700 which automatically does the port forwarding and requires no input from us and all our devices have stayed open NAT. We have been having problems with the 2.4Ghz band disconnecting sporadically while the 5.0Ghz works fine (either a bad internal antenna or interference) so I just decided when we got the Cellspot I wanted to replace the Netgear vs. adding it behind or in front of it.

So we received the cellspot yesterday and I attempted to set it up but I ran into the NAT issue. I had both XBOX one devices up and I did the port forwarding on the one nearest me and I did dmz on the other. Despite that, the one I put in the port forwarding was consistently moderate through power/connection cycles. This made me concerned if the cellspot would even work for us, especially since we have 2 more devices that would need the exact same ports.

So my question is:

With the Cellspot, is there a way to effectively obtain open NAT on all 4 devices simultaneously/without having to change settings every time and/or do power/connection cycles?

I really want to be able to use the Cellspot and finally have descent Wifi calling at home but if it throws off our entire network... :/

• 3. Re: Cellspot (Asus TM-AC1900) - How to ensuring multiple devices with the same port requirements (xbox live) ALL have open NAT with cellspot?

For some reason, the hardware accelerated NAT doesn't work with UPNP. 

Go to LAN, Switch Control, and disable NAT Acceleration.

Once I did that, you should start to see UPNP generated entries under System Log, Port Forwarding.

I saw one from my Xbox One.  Most of my other UPNP devices started working after I did this too (Home NAS, DirectTV TV Apps, etc.)  For some reason, my Foscam still couldn't do UPNP and I had to add a static route through WAN, Virtual Server/Port Forwarding.  But that was the only one so far.

Hopefully ASUS fixes this in future firmware releases so we can use hardware acceleration as much as possible.  Hey TMo - want to put that request in to Asus for us?

Other than that, I've had pretty good success with the TM-AC1900.  I would have hoped to see the WiFI calling QoS more apparent instead of some unexplained under-the-hood magic optimization.  I haven't seen any evidence to see that it's doing anything different with WiFi calling than my last router did.

• 4. Re: Cellspot (Asus TM-AC1900) - How to ensuring multiple devices with the same port requirements (xbox live) ALL have open NAT with cellspot?

Ok thank you. I will try that maybe tomorrow and if it doesn't work for at least the two xbox one's simultaneously, I'll just switch back to my netgear. Even doing all the work of attempting port forwarding, dmz, upnp, etc. when I put MY xbox as primary and tried all that stuff, it was always moderate NAT, never open. I know its partially an xbox thing too (half the time to even get the connection to reset I had to fully reset the boxes which is a real pain with the standby mode on and I wasn't sure I accomplished it fully), but there are some relationships where both partners shouldn't be that incompatible lol   Even though the Xbox apparently doesn't like any router, the Netgear adapts to it. And even though our 2.4GHz network is like dying, since we are primarily on the Xbox Ones and my laptop, which can connect to the 5.0GHz, we aren't running into the disconnect issues. BUT in the event I'd want to use my old laptop, get on the xbox 360s, we would.

• 5. Re: Cellspot (Asus TM-AC1900) - How to ensuring multiple devices with the same port requirements (xbox live) ALL have open NAT with cellspot?

Oh and I agree, there should be some future firmware for this (hopefully soon). I actually don't understand why it wasn't already made capable of doing this and why all routers aren't. Because its not the xbox's fault in that the xbox is not the only device/service that needs ports opened and that, with more than one of the device type, will cause restrictions; there are many devices like it (otherwise the many routers and gateways that have preset port forwarding services wouldn't have such extensive lists). I dunno. I don't get what the focus is for routers that they miss these features (and why so much of the firmware is made so basic), maybe they need to make 'gaming routers' (of course with that 'specialty market' will surely come 'specialty marked up pricing').

I've considered installing DD-WRT firmware but then I would own this router and its not a guarantee it would fix my issues so I will try your suggestion and hopefully it works

• 6. Re: Cellspot (Asus TM-AC1900) - How to ensuring multiple devices with the same port requirements (xbox live) ALL have open NAT with cellspot?
                tforce_john_w

Hi superbeastarina

It looks like you got some great advice here from ryanretting, were you able to get your XBoxes running together?  There's nothing better than crushing friends and family from the comfort of your own home.

• 7. Re: Cellspot (Asus TM-AC1900) - How to ensuring multiple devices with the same port requirements (xbox live) ALL have open NAT with cellspot?
                  tmo_amanda

Hi!

It has been 36 hours since our last comment so we are now marking this post as assumed answered. You can continue to post, and other community users may respond, but if you would like assistance from T-Mobile or T-Force, please create a new discussion.

• 8. Re: Cellspot (Asus TM-AC1900) - How to ensuring multiple devices with the same port requirements (xbox live) ALL have open NAT with cellspot?

Just want to chime in and say I also cannot have multiple Xboxes with open nat at the same time behind the Personal Cellspot.  Worked fine with my previous FIOS router the mi424wr.  Hardware accelerated NAT is off.

• 9. Re: Cellspot (Asus TM-AC1900) - How to ensuring multiple devices with the same port requirements (xbox live) ALL have open NAT with cellspot?

Okay. This is a common thing. Sony and Microsoft both have this issue with their consoles.

Before I tell you how to do this I will have to inform you that this is technically advanced routing and it has to do with your modem and router. You will need to log in to both of them and feel comfortable changing settings. Some ISP services provide modems which block certain features needed for this so if you have a modem from your internet provider you will have to find the modem model and know how to search pretty deep to find the answers. Your cellspot isn't causing this issue. It's the settings in the modem.

Okay here we go.

Step 1: Go to your computer and login to your modem. Usually typing in the address bar of your browser 192.168.0.1 works. If not then try 192.168.1.1. If neither of those work then you'll have to find the address to your modem. You Also must know your user name and password to your modem.

Step 2: Look around in the settings and try to find an option that will enable "bridge mode". If you cannot find bridge mode look for an option to turn "Nat" off. If you cannot find these options you will have to search on how to enable this setting as your service provider has blocked this option. Don't worry, a little research will pay off. Your internet provider will likely not help you with this.

Step 3: (skip if there are no options to turn firewall settings off) If you're able to, turn off all firewall features on your modem. Your router has the same firewall features. Double layering these features will slow your connection and cause connectivity issues.

Step 4: find the option for "DMZ" and set it as 192.168.0.20 or 192.168.1.20 depending on your modem address.

Also find the setting for "starting ip" and start it at the same address as the DMZ. 

Step 5: double check all of the work you just did.

Step 6: log into your cellspot

Step 7: Factory reset your cellspot.

Step 8: Set up your cellspot normally.

Step 9: check and make sure that the ip on the network map page is NOT 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. It should be completely different. If not then you need to go back to step 2.

Step 10: Set a DMZ similar to the same as you did on the modem. Should be something like 192.168.29.20. Done with router.

Step 11. Log in to the primary console and set up the network connection. You will need to know all of the settings it currently is using. You can check this out in your network settings. Make sure to write down everything from "ip address" to "dns servers". Everything on that list is important. Everything will be the same except the "ip address". That should be the same number you set your routers DMZ to. save settings and proceed to the other consoles (step 12).

Step 12: Do the same to every other console except the "ip address" should be one number high on the end. (Example: 192.168.29.20 for the first one. 192.168.29.21 for the second and so on).

Step 13: try it out. If this didn't work then you may need to double check that you didn't miss anything. If you're sure you got it all, your service provider may not support this many streaming/gaming connections at a time.

If it did work you should see on all consoles either "NAT TYPE: 2" or "NAT TYPE: OPEN"

I hope this helps. I know it seems long and confusing but I promise that it's not. You can complete this in 10 20 minutes if everything goes smoothly. You will not ruin your modem or router by doing any of this either. Good luck and sorry I'm late.

• 10. Re: Cellspot (Asus TM-AC1900) - How to ensuring multiple devices with the same port requirements (xbox live) ALL have open NAT with cellspot?

I also want to give another tip. If you have an android device go to Google play and download "wifi analyzer" and scroll to the channels page. Check and make sure you're on the clearest channel possible. Whichever channel "on the bottom" has the least overlapping signals is the one you'll want to use. You need to check this for both 2.5GHZ channels and 5GHZ channels. You can do this by tapping the 2.5 box on the top left side on that page.

Once again, I hope this helps.

• 11. Re: Cellspot (Asus TM-AC1900) - How to ensuring multiple devices with the same port requirements (xbox live) ALL have open NAT with cellspot?

Sorry. Reading through the comments I want to correct what that guy said about upnp and the Nat settings on your router. Keep the Nat on with your router..  turn it off on your modem and it'll be smoother..

• 12. Re: Cellspot (Asus TM-AC1900) - How to ensuring multiple devices with the same port requirements (xbox live) ALL have open NAT with cellspot?
                            smplyunprdctble

Awesome set of instructions.

I keep forgetting that some modems are combo modem/routers (I hate those -- I forget some people get those).  I guess I made the assumption that the OP had a non-combo setup in the beginning because they had it working with a different router.  Of course, every router acts differently.

I'd like to expand your instructions by describing what you're doing.  The first few steps are turning a modem/router into just a modem, and the next few steps set up the router to work.

Not sure why you're setting a DMZ to .20 and then the consoles to .21, .22, etc.  I like the idea of keeping IP addresses together for similar devices (I have a whole spreadsheet going, myself), but in the network world, having a DMZ to one address and assigning addresses adjacent doesn't do anything.  So, setting the consoles to .21 or .91 would make no difference.  (I doubt it'd make a difference if doing regular DHCP).  To add on that, I don't think the DMZ is necessary on the router-side either.

That's just from a pure networking standpoint.  I don't know if you have a device on .20 that's helping move packets to the consoles or not.

Oh wait... I see what you did there -- you have it set to a range for the DMZ... "Starting IP" -- that's pretty handy.  I hadn't realized a DMZ could be created with a range...  If it has "Starting IP", I hope it would have "Ending IP" -- that way devices with IP addresses higher than the consoles don't wind up getting inadvertently DMZ'd.  To me, that setup, without an ending IP, opens up everything > 20.  If there's no ending IP, I'd throw the DMZ to like .240 and make sure the DHCP range is less than that.

And, to add a slight ease in steps, most routers will allow you to assign an address to a device (when the device asks for DHCP, it always gives out the same address).  Pages 54-55 of the User Manual: Wi-Fi CellSpot™ Router kinda skim over this.  I prefer to do it this way because it doesn't cause IP issues if I replace the router and forget to reassign the IP address of the device -- or happen to bring my console somewhere else for game night.  (It's actually happened to me -- but in the idea of replacing a router... I was connecting, but couldn't do anything, and it took me a while to realize it was because I hadn't configured the router's IP to be the same as what my laptop was expecting -- after that, I did the Lease Reservations, and re set up everything with a new router [Ok, I have a separate DHCP server now, but I digress])

• 13. Re: Cellspot (Asus TM-AC1900) - How to ensuring multiple devices with the same port requirements (xbox live) ALL have open NAT with cellspot?
                              mannyv87

If anyone out there is still struggling with this, I've done all the advanced setting and configurations possible but in the end it simply a matter of enabling UPnP.

Introduction to UPnP

• 14. Re: Cellspot (Asus TM-AC1900) - How to ensuring multiple devices with the same port requirements (xbox live) ALL have open NAT with cellspot?
                                dave_id87

simply having UPnP was also the fix for me, open NAT on all xbox consoles in the house. I will say to anyone make sure if you attempted port forwarding, get rid of anything you did. If you have port forwarding it's going to open those ports for whatever IP you said but it blocks other devices from them, making it impossible to get open NAT on other devices.

1 2 Previous Next