Is iPhone 6 compatible with LTE band 12?

drnewcomb2

I just dug up the specs for the iPhone 6 on Apple's website:

Model A1549 (GSM)*,  Model A1522 (GSM)*

UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29)

None of the models (GSM or CDMA) list LTE band 12. Does this mean that T-Mobile's iPhone 6 will not work with T-Mobile 700 MHz service?

All replies

• unclespoon

Re: Is iPhone 6 compatible with LTE band 12?

Unfortunately, that's exactly what it means.

• tforce_maxwell

Hello! Looks like this post has been answered! You can continue to post, and other community users may respond, but if you would like assistance from T-Mobile or T-Force please create a new discussion.

• stevetjr

Typical Apple, they add 20 LTE bands to the phone and then scr.. over the carrier they are really trying to work hard with by not adding Band 12 which is no mystery was being added by T-Mobile and a few other carriers.  This is almost as lame as AT&T's excuse for chopping up the 700 Band into 12 and 17 and then back peddling and making their Band 17 equipment support Band 12 also but so far it appears that 17 can be made to support 12 but not the other way around.  Again 20 LTE bands and they only skip 12, come on............... 

• drnewcomb2

All this means is that every time someone mentions wanting the iPhone 6, I'll just have to remind them of this small but fatal limitation.

• drnewcomb2 wrote:

"All this means is that every time someone mentions wanting the iPhone 6, I'll just have to remind them of this small but fatal limitation."

Uh, for us less educated, can you elaborate?

• drnewcomb2

brec wrote:

Uh, for us less educated, can you elaborate?

Band 12 includes the 700MHz spectrum that T-Mobile has be acquiring recently. Ability to use 700MHz will do a lot to level the playing field between T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon WRT in-building and rural coverage. Without it T-Mobile continues to be hamstrung by the two problems that have plagued them from day one. It's difficult for me to imagine T-Mobile customers getting "all hot and bothered" about a new device that does not have band 12. 

• Thanks, drnewcomb2. I have an iPhone 6 on order. I choose T-Mobile -- my 4s is on Verizon -- because only it currently supports Wi-Fi calling. I need either that or a femtocell at my home, regardless of which carrier. I think I can bite the Band 12 bullet at least until other carriers implement Wi-Fi calling.

• stevetjr

I just thought it was pretty lame of Apple to put 20 LTE bands in the

iPhone 6 and not include band 12. Reason number 1,201 I don't like Apple.

• I doubt that Apple made a decision to "put 20 LTE bands in theiPhone 6 and not include band 12." I think it's more likely that the modem they chose, Qualcomm's MDM9x25 Gobi, doesn't support band 12, and that band 12 support was not near the top of the choice criteria, having been overshadowed by vendor relationship history, size, cost, power, general capability, etc. etc.

Disclaimer: I'm just guessing!

• drnewcomb2

Well, I count only 16 LTE bands, not 20, but I take your point. For the record, I have nothing against iPhones. I own two of them (3Gs). I just don't see any reason for a T-Mobile customer to get excited/upset/angry/thrilled over any phone that lacks band 12. Particularly a rather expensive phone that lacks band 12. If I really wanted a new iPhone I'd wait for a version that has band 12. It must surely be in the works.