Sprint Merger Is Off

gramps28

All replies

• cesaribenitez95

Re: Sprint Merger Is Off

That was a close call, but we still have to wait till they make it formal

• shiningdragon88

Alriiiiight!!!!!!!!!!!!

• unclespoon

Does T-Mo get any $$$ out of this like with AT&T, or was that only if the merger was attempted and unsuccessful?

• geno2733

Glad to hear this... Companies shouldn't be able to cop-out of competing by throwing money out there, and buying up their rivals. It's bad enough Comcast and Apple use this as a common business practice, so it's good to see there's a system in place that prevents every company from being able to cheat like this.

• miket

How is Apple a monopoly?  They have a small percentage of the computer business compared w. other OS and hardware mfrs.

There are a dozen+ cell phone mfrs.  4 or 5 Operating systems.   They are the most expensive because they've convinced kids and others that their product is "in".    They not only refused, years ago, to join all other mfrs. in standardizing on the micro usb mode for charging - they change their own "std." periodically - thus making obsolete chargers bought for your last year's model.  

HTC - which a couple years ago was challenging Samsung, tried to emulate Apple by making their phones without a replaceable battery or SD card.   They corrected part of that mistake in their latest model (SD) card - but it was/is too little, too late.   Apple users are able/willing to do without a phone at the end of a long day and replace a perfectly good phone simply because a battery's life is shorter than the phone's life.  

• cesaribenitez95

I think it's because apple Inc has sued Microsoft,  Samsung and other I'm sure.

• tidbits

MS has sued Microsoft, Samsung has sue various companies.  Companies have sued companies all the way around.  This is just recent stuff people been looking.  The fanboyism is strong with the current generation. 

This was actually setup by the Patent and Courts that it happens this way.  Did you know that Microsoft was sued by IBM and the courts ruled if you don't protect your patents you will lose your patents?  So if they believe a company or multiple companies are infringing they must sue just to protect their patent regardless if it is legitimate or illegitimate.

• tidbits

sometimes companies just infringe just because they know they are infringing and it would be cheaper for them or profitable for them to infringe and pay for it later. Especially if they know they can't get a license to use said patent.

• cesaribenitez95

Didn't they made an agreement to play nice to take down apple inc?

• tidbits

Which Microsoft, and IBM?  This stuff happened before Apple was ever conceived by the Steves.  Since then any time you have a patent you better be willing to fight to keep it or else you can lose.  IBM did nothing for 7 years while other companies were infringing and when MS finally infringed IBM sued them.  Due to IBM not doing anything initially against other companies the courts took it away.

Oh some other interesting information.  Do you know why IBM likes Linux more than they used to?  Did you know Microsoft has messed up IBM more times than you can count on your fingers.  One of the largest things Microsoft did to IBM was stealing Warp 2.

• geno2733

I didn't say anything about Apple being a monopoly... I simply said companies with endless amounts of revenue are also the ones that like to buy up the competition whenever said competition turns the heat up on the big guys.. With the failure of the Sprint and T-Mobile, this goes to show that having a deep pockets will not guarantee an easy way out of actually competing with a smaller carrier that's making waves in the industry.

• tidbits

@miket HTC own problems isn't from removing SD/Battery options.  The reason why they were losing the battle was the support of their devices.  A lot of people were turned off in Europe and Asia to the fact they only did one update and that's it while their competition did more.  Motorola went through the same thing. They both went almost out of business.  Their US numbers were not bad, but their international numbers is what made them suffer.

It all depends on usage.  I will tell you now during heavy usage I have not had a phone last more than 7 hours.  If I have slow days all my devices have lasted at least 14 hours(including iPhones).  It's all about the usage

• miket

tidbits wrote:

@miket H

It all depends on usage.  I will tell you now during heavy usage I have not had a phone last more than 7 hours.  If I have slow days all my devices have lasted at least 14 hours(including iPhones).  It's all about the usage

I agree.  That's why few business users I know have Apple phones.  A couple of younger ones I know who do, carry a "regular" phone in addition to an Apple.

The worst drain I've discovered on a phone is using GPS.  Of course, in a car you can plug it in to a high speed (2A) charger.  An older charger can't keep up w. the drain.  On foreign vacation, I make use of G-Maps to plot the strange winding, narrow streets in foreign cities while walking.  [Thanks, TM, for intl. data.] 

90%+ of the time the S4 battery will last the business day.  The fact I always carry an extra battery in my wallet relieves me of even having to wonder about the status of the phone's battery.