Using iPhone abroad (roaming)...

Hi all

Just changed back to t-mobile, because of the international plan. Now, my question is, using the iPhone abroad, do I activate the roaming button in settings, or leave it just like it is now, deactivated? I looked around in the web, but could not find an answer...

Thank you very much in advance,

Mike

All replies

• miket

Re: Using iPhone abroad (roaming)...

Don't know about Apple phones - but on "regular" phones like Androids, data roaming is usually off by default.  You would need to turn "use data when roaming" on --assuming you are in one of TM's 100+ "free" roaming countries.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • drnewcomb2

When you roam, you'll need to have the phone set for data roaming, if that's what you want.

I also suggest you have a "Plan B", just in case things go wrong. Just read back through some of the posts on this forum to get an idea of the sort of things that happen to people abroad. It may only happen to 0.1% but that's small consolation if you happen to be the one affected.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Thanks for the responses! I thought so... I will be careful and look out for surprises..

• tmo_lauren

Hello there We have a few docs that can help

International roaming FAQs

International roaming checklist

Let me know if you still need more info

-Lauren

• Thank you! Will read through the links provided!

• HI Lauren.

Would you please confirm as the documents you referenced do not have this specifically.  If you have an iPhone and are on the Simple Choice plan, does Data Roaming under Settings-Cellular need to be turned off or on?  If it is on, my understanding is that you will not be charged high data usage charges as long as you are in one of the 120 countries listed.  I understand that the data speed is slower, you can buy high speed data packs and that if you exceed you subscribed monthly data plan, you will be 'shaped' to a lower speed in the US until the next billing cycle.

Thanks

• miket

goundars wrote:

I

HI Lauren.

Would you please confirm as the documents you referenced do not have this specifically.  If you have an iPhone and are on the Simple Choice plan, does Data Roaming under Settings-Cellular need to be turned off or on?   As stated above by me and others - ON

If it is on, my understanding is that you will not be charged high data usage charges as long as you are in one of the 120 countries listed.

Correct  -  I have used it in 8 countries since last Dec.

I understand that the data speed is slower, you can buy high speed data packs and that if you exceed you subscribed monthly data plan, you will be 'shaped' to a lower speed in the US until the next billing cycle.

The "slow" speed will let you operate maps/navigation, email, Facebook, etc. perfectly.  You will not be able to tether your laptop.   I have not paid for the hi speed option anywhere. 

I don't understand the last few words you wrote.  While overseas you have unlimited "slow" data and text in those 120 eligible countries.  While in the U.S. you have "fast" data per your plan and unlimited "slow" data after that.

Each time you enter a new eligible country you will receive a "welcome msg." from TM informing you of your "free" options.  When you enter a non-eligible country - you will get a warning that you can incur HUGE (they don't use that word) costs if you don't turn off data. 

Thanks

• Thanks miket.

My last comment referred t the fact that whem home, I have access to 4G speeds which is not the case when travelling abroad on this plan unless I choose to pay for high speed data packages.  I just need access to email, Google Maps, social media and the web.  This plan does that which is great.  Just wanted to make sure that it data roaming is enabled, that I have no welcomed surprises when I see my bill.

• miket

No surprises when you get home.   IF you do go to an ineligible country, make sure data is OFF.  If left on- bankruptcy could follow when you get home. 

You didn't ask - but none of the data used when roaming counts against the high speed allowance you have on your plan when you get home. 

Remember, when on wifi, you can make use of wifi calling feature to call U.S. numbers for free. 

• drnewcomb2

Also, just to be clear, if you car calling a non-US number while roaming, don't use WiFi Calling. The call is billed as if you were calling from the US. Rather, use cellular calling to call non-US numbers while roaming. Those calls are 20¢/min..

• miket

That's why I said "... to call U.S. numbers".  Seems to me TM could simply charge 20¢/min for all wifi calls to non-U.S. numbers - that would make things simple.

• drnewcomb2

Right, you and I understand this. I just wanted to make sure that starkwind understood it. I've seen folks here complaining about their bill after they used WiFi Calling while roaming and got hit for international calls.

• publix47

That is a great point with the wifi calling to "non-US" numbers. TM don't clearly state that and I was confuse too. It is $0.2/min only if you make  calls using cellular function so you have to remember to either look to make sure you're not on Wifi or turn Wifi off when you're making a call.  I ended up signing up for the $15 stateside international plan for just the month I will going to China as I don't want to have to worry about making calls to hotel, cabs, family while I am there and having to remember little things like that which seem like a hassel. This was suggested to me by a TM rep on the chat service.

• miket

The way I've always viewed wifi calls when overseas (ever since it came into being) - it ws like (and billed) making a call as tho you were physically in the U.S.

• publix47

Thank you! this clears things up for me too. It seem so scary to turn ON data roaming on the iphone. Beside making sure your device has data roaming ON, The TM rep on chat service also said I need to go to my T-mobile account online under "profile" to make sure I do not have roaming blocked off via Tmobile. When I went there is 2 choices - one option to block all international roaming (data, text, calls), and one option to block just international data roaming that is not included in your plan. It seem the default setting is No blockage for either.

• murburz

O, Lauren … where did you go?