BYOD AT&T HTC One won't MMS

Hi-  I brought my own unlocked AT&T HTC One to T-Mobile by buying a SIM and starting service via the T-Mobile website.  After installing the SIM, I set up the APN for the HTC One, as noted here:

Connections & network: HTC One (LTE)
    https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-6522

(Everything, as listed, with: APN type: <Not set>; APN protocol: & APN roaming protocol: These listings don't appear in my APN settings.  NOTE:  if I set APN type: Internet+MMS, I lost all connections)

After doing this, I could place/receive phone calls, send/receive SMS text messages, and had a 4G/4G LTE (wavering between) data connection to the Internet.  BUT, I couldn't send MMS messages (it tries sending for a few minutes, then stopa with an error), and when an MMS message was sent to me, it came in with a label of who it was from and an icon saying "Download".  But, it wouldn't download when it was "clicked".  The error given for both sent and received MMS was "General Network Failure".  I used the texting app included with the phone.

Next, I tried sending/receiving MMS using Google Hangout as the default app, but it still wouldn't work (again, SMS sending/receiving worked).

Lastly, I tried the following troubleshooting suggestions:

Picture Message (MMS) troubleshooting: Android
    https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4227#top

So, I'm not sure what to try next.  I should note that sending/receiving was done with another AT&T HTC One on the AT&T 4G LTE network, all photos were about 185 Kb (i.e.  less than the max limit imposed by T-Mobile or AT&T), and the AT&T phone did appear to send the MMS message.  Also, I tried the general APN settings given in the forums for generic Android phones, but that didn't work either (they are very similar to the HTC One version).

Thanks for any help you're able to give.

--labauer

All replies

• I am in the exact same situation.  Everything worked great until I updated to Android 4.2.2 KitKat.  Have you fixed the issue, if so I would greatly appreciate it so I don't have to root my phone, etc...

• Sorry, despite TMo's Tech Support best efforts, it doesn't look like MMS will ever work on this device.  BTW, the phone was upgraded to KitKat before moving it to TMo.

If your phone is a BYOD from AT&T, I think the best you can do is use the APN noted in my first post then email pics to people.  Of course, that will use data.  And, people sending you MMS won't know that you didn't receive their media (pic, etc).  But, in my instance a blank SMS message showed up when an MMS was sent to me, and I could text that person back to request a re-send via email.  A poor work-around, but it is at least possible to get the media that was sent.

Finally, you could do a Google search (I used "apn for att htc one moved to tmobile" and got a bunch of hits from all over (YouTube, etc) from people claiming to get MMS working with their APN tweaks.  But, none worked for me.

--labauer

• Not all services will work on a non T-Mobile devices, like picture messaging.  Check out https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1265

And check out the Device Recovery Program!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • tforce_vanessa_s

Re: BYOD AT&T HTC One won't MMS

Hey labauer,

We appreciate you for joining our family! Bringing your own device to use is a great aspect of our network, but as mollywunder@gmail.com mentioned, we're not always able to guarantee all features will work. Thank you for all the work you've put into this so far, we will pass this feedback along to our product developers to ensure if there are any changes that can be made on our side, they will be!

• tforce_rick

Hello, it's been over 36 hours since our last comment so we are now marking this post as assumed answered. You can continue to post, and other community users may respond, but if you would like assistance from T-Mobile or T-Force, please create a new discussion.

• Try this, it works on mine:

1. Slide the Notifications panel open, and then tap .
                  2. Tap Mobile data > Access point names.
                  3. On the APNs screen, tap > New APN.
                  4. Enter the APN settings.
                  5. Tap > Save.
                  6. Select the new APN on the APNs screen.
                  7. Touch Access Point Names or APNs.
                  8. If there is a T-Mobile APN, touch it. If not, press the key, and touch New APN.
                  9. Enter the following settings for the Data APN:
                    • Name: T-Mobile
                    • APN: fast.t-mobile.com
                    • Proxy: <Not set>
                    • Port: <Not set>
                    • Username: <Not set>
                    • Password: <Not set>
                    • Server: <Not set>
                    • MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
                    • MMS proxy: <Not set>
                    • MMS port: <Not set>
                    • MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
                    • MCC: 310
                    • MNC: 260
                    • Authentication type:<Not set>
                    • APN type: <Not Set> OR Internet+MMS (depending on software version)
                  10. Press the key.
                  11. Touch Save.
                  12. In the list of APNs, delete all others that may appear. If there is a FOTA APN, you may leave that one. To do this:
                    1. Touch the APN you want to delete.
                    2. Press the key.
                    3. Touch Delete APN.
                  13. Verify that there is a circle next to the one remaining APN to show it is activated.
                  14. Reboot the device.
                  15. Test your data connection, by accessing a web page or sending a picture message (MMS) to yourself.
                    • kc1230

I have tried those APNs as well. 

I know it's not the phone it self.  When I put CM on it, it works fine, but then I revert to HTC Sense ATT software, mms does not work.

This defeats purpose of BYOB.  If Tmobile wants to bring ATT customer to their next work, they need to fix this.  Either have a some kind of firmware network setting tool for people who have Att, high end phones.

• Re: BYOD AT&T HTC One won't MMS

Same issue here.  Bought a HTC One (M7).

everything so far works except MMS.

The only way I can get the connection set up correctly (have the radio button next to the APN name) is this:

• Name: T-Mobile
                      • Authentication type:<Not set>
                      • APN type:default,supl,mms *** the <Not Set> OR Internet+MMS settings don't work at all ***

But as noted, no MMS...

This BYOD thing is a joke.  But i guess that's how they expect you to pay an additional $300 for a t-mobile branded phone.

BTW, the T-mobile branded Samsung Galaxy Light phone I did wasted $216 on was worthless.

Is there any update on this issue because I'm dealing with the same issue AT&T unlocked phone and I am not able to send/receive mms and group messages. Also I cant do update to new sense 6 and Android.

• kc1230

No update, still issues, to fix the problem, I installed Tmobile HTC One Software onto ATT HTC one.  it works good now. 

You can google on how to do that "switch career software on HTC One". 

If you do this, you will have to boot unlock, then s-off and relock bootloader and so forth. It took me about 3 hrs to do, but after that, now I can get tmobile over the air updates just like HTC one I would have bought from tmobile.

• I have a solution that will work however I offer this with no-warranty and for a use at your own risk, however I can say I have done this for maybe about 60 T-Mobile customers who brought their HTC One m7 from AT&T. I have done this as well. HTC m7 phone are all built with the exact same parts, the only thing that makes the phone operate differently is the firmware for the baseband, and of course the rom. However HTC offer's a RUU (Rom Upgrade Utility) right on their support page. This reinstalls the android os, along with new baseband and firmware versions. All you have to do is run the T-Mobile HTC One m7 RUU that is on the HTC website. You can use the link here to download the RUU from the HTC website. It generally about 1GB in file size, as this is not just the Android OS, but this is the software for the phone's hardware to flash it from an AT&T HTC One to a T-Mobile HTC One.This will also enable your phone to receive Over-The-Air updates from T-Mobile as well. Again I and T-Mobile will not support this. However I can say from personal experience and also on behalf of the people I done this for that it works. *Also you will get to enjoy the T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling as well. Your phone will act and perform just like the T-Mobile version will after this. After all they all have the exact same parts under the hood. Just different firmware, and operating systems. This converts it all over to T-Mobile

• I recently got an AT&T unlocked HTC One M7 and I cannot get MMS to work. I tried all the APN settings I found online and nothing worked. I also tried doing the RUU you mentioned but it somehow won't do what it's suppose to do. It gets stuck at 5% and I have waited over 30 minutes and nothing happened so I just unplugged it and gave up. Has anyone gotten their MMS to work on their phone?

I realize that this is an old thread but I did find a way to send and receive MMS on my HTC One M8 brought from AT&T. You can install the Hello app and replace Messages as your primary messaging app. Hello is better in many ways so it's not just good for MMS. Mine is now working fine with this installed. Looks like it's an issue with the AT&T builds (intentional?) that screws things up.

That's good alternative.  I also had issue bring m7 ATT phone to T-Mobile.  It won't let me turn on WiFi Hotspot.  Every time I try to do so, it tell me my account was not setup and tells me to call the ATT customer service to add that feature.  Apparently, ATT hasn't unlocked everything on that phone.  I later flashed the phone to Google Play Edition and everything works fine.  I was happy with that.  But later, the camera has the pink effect that many other m7 has.  HTC supposed to replace the camera free of charge.  However, they told me I have voided the warranty since I converted it to GPE.

• I was able to get MMS working following the solution deathjunkie outlined.  As a mostly Linux and OSX user, I found the most challenging and aggravating part of the exercise was locating a suitable Windows PC; I wound up using an old XP system.  The T-Mobile RUU failed to recognize my ATT HTC One M8 so I could only perform the update using the AT&T (Cingular) RUU.  Even then, in order for the PC to detect when the phone was connected, I had to set the phone to its FASTBOOT screen before connecting it.

I bet with a little more patience and persistence, I can "convert" the ATT phone to a T-Mobile phone as deathjunkie indicated.  I'm guessing though it would involve using 'adb' or some such command line tool to alter the phone's ID to something the T-Mobile RUU would recognize.  I'm content for now though, so I'll save that exercise for another day.

• Guys I fixed it! I have a at&t HTC one m7. I am using it on tmobile services. My phone as well did not receive MMS at all. I changed the APN settings and now it is working.

Here is what I have on my APN settings

Name: T-mobile

APN: fast.tmobile.com

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: Not set

Password: Not set

Server: Not set

MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

MMS Proxy: Not set

MMS Port: Not set

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0

MMC: 310

MNC: 260

Authentication type: Not set

APN type: Not set

Then save.

This worked for me. I really hope it works for you guys. Let me know.

• So I had the same trouble. I purchased a factory unlocked AT&T HTC One M8 to use on Tmobile. Only SMS and calls worked without inputting any APN settings. After inputting the APN settings here <https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10783> I only got SMS, calls and Internet connection. I used the same settings as the link^ BUT I changed the APN type to the DEFAULT APN type (default,mms,supl,admin,hipri)

HERE IS THE APN SETTING THAT WORK (make SURE caps, spacing, etc are exactly like this):

• Name: T-Mobile US LTE
                                        • Authentication type: <Not set>
                                        • APN type:default,mms,supl,admin,hipri
                                        • Bearer: Unspecified
                                          • rachiiemay

I know this is an old post, but I do want to give an updated feedback that this APN works for the AT&T HTC One M9. My husband and I recently switched over to T-Mobile and he first was having data issues, which we fixed by inputting a different APN. Then a couple of days later, he realized he was no longer receiving MMS. After much research, we came across THIS APN, which worked! Thanks, @ptgriffin5!