I had a galaxy s3 for about two years and I had the unlimited data plan. I used about 13 gb about month because I stream a lot of Netflix and YouTube videos, and use social media websites and the Internet never slowed down. I recently purchased a galaxy note 3 about 4 weeks ago. My Internet plan wasn't change at all, but now my Internet slows down after 5gb or less. I callled Tmobile and asked them what was going on and they told me I've reached my limit, but I explained that my Internet has never slowed down even after using more than 10gb, and that I've always had the unlimited data plan. I don't understand what's going on. How is it that I never had this issue and now with a new phone, I can't use my Internet as much as before? How did my Internet never slow down after 13gb, but with 5gb on my note 3 , it does?

All replies

• miket

Re: I have unlimited data and internet slows down?

In the past, TM didn't enforce the hispeed data limits on their plans.  Now they do - especially during high use times.  Sounds like you might be on a plan that that has a hispeed limit of 5G before being throttled.

• We're sorry to hear about the service degradation @Miranda_318!  Please review this document and see if it helps: The specified item was not found.

• Hello, it's been over 36 hours since our last comment so we are now marking this post as assumed answered. You can continue to post, and other community users may respond, but if you would like assistance from T-Mobile or T-Force, please create a new discussion.

• Metro pcs has 60 dollar unlimited everything no caps

• kikoshi

So in other words, Even if i have Unlimited High-speed 4GLTE Data plan.

I'm still going to be throttled? I believe a visit to a T-mobile store and vitchng is in order if that's the case, i don't like being lied to.

• miket

TM (and all carriers) are clear about this.  Some carriers will ut you off at your plan limit - some will start billing you after the limit is reached.  TM may be the only one that simply slows you down.  You can still use FB, Maps, email, of course.  No video.  Sometimes music streaming

If you think logically about it - if TM gave everyone unlimited hispeed internet, the whole nation would cut off their present land based internet!

• smplyunprdctble

kikoshi wrote:

So in other words, Even if i have Unlimited High-speed 4GLTE Data plan.

I'm still going to be throttled? I believe a visit to a T-mobile store and vitchng is in order if that's the case, i don't like being lied to.

If you have the $30 data option for Unlimited 4G Data on your line (total $80 plus taxes and fees for individual), you should not be throttled for standard phone data usage.  But, it's explicit that you must be on a Simple Choice plan with the $30 data option.

If you have a grandfathered plan, you're limited to 5GB of usage before being throttled (this plan is usually $20/mo, maybe cheaper if you got some promo plan).

In addition to this, speeds aren't guaranteed.  If you're in a highly congested area, you could be slowed based on bandwidth available.  If you don't live in a 4G area, you're obviously not going to get 4G speeds.

• miket

Smply -

I didn't know the $30 option would give you unlimited fast PHONE data.   Question - at what point is ability to tether cut off?

• smplyunprdctble

The $30 option (total $80 for a Simple Choice plan) gives you throttle-less data (with the exception of area throttling during peak times, which is really just prioritizing and slowing down, most people don't notice, but it's the thing Sprint got yelled at for) for your phone and 5GB of Smartphone Mobile Hot Spot.

• t-mobilie

T-mobile will throttle 4G LTE unlimited data plan when the usage reach 25GB. It happened to me today.T Mobile lies to me for sure. They should have said 25GB data plan instead. There is no such a thing as Throttle-less data.

• smplyunprdctble

Company Information | T-Mobile’s Broadband Internet Access Services

Network Management for Extremely High Data Usage

Most of our plan options feature a customer-chosen high-speed data allotment with reduced speeds on our network after the high-speed allotment is exhausted, so customers can choose the combination of high-speed data and price that is right for their needs. Unlimited high-speed data customers do not have a specific high-speed data allotment, however, and customers on limited high-speed plans may have extremely high data usage under certain circumstances, including if they access significant amounts of data that does not count against their high-speed data allotment. Some network management for these scenarios is required, because very heavy data usage by even a few customers at times and places of competing network demands can affect the network performance for all customers.

To provide the best possible experience for the most possible customers, and to minimize capacity issues and degradation in network performance, we manage significant high-speed data usage through prioritization. Specifically, customers who use more data than what 97% of all customers use in a month, based on recent historical averages (updated quarterly), will have their data usage de-prioritized compared to the data usage of other customers at times and at locations where there are competing customer demands for network resources, which may result in slower data speeds. Customers who use data in violation of their Rate Plan terms or T-Mobile's Terms and Conditions may be excluded from this calculation. Data features that may not count against the high-speed data allotment for some plans, such as certain data associated with Music Freedom or Binge On, still counts towards all customers’ usage for this calculation. Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (tethering) data is also included in this calculation. Based on network statistics for the most recent quarter, customers who use more than 25GB of data during a billing cycle will be de-prioritized for the remainder of the billing cycle in times and at locations where there are competing customer demands for network resources. At the start of the next bill cycle, the customer’s usage status is reset, and this data traffic is no longer de-prioritized.

Where the network is lightly loaded in relation to available capacity, a customer whose data is de-prioritized will notice little, if any, effect from having lower priority. This will be the case in the vast majority of times and locations. At times and at locations where the network is heavily loaded in relation to available capacity, however, these customers will likely see significant reductions in data speeds, especially if they are engaged in data-intensive activities. T-Mobile constantly works to improve network performance and capacity , but there are physical and technical limits on how much capacity is available, and in constrained locations the frequency of heavy loading in relation to available capacity may be greater than in other locations. When network loading goes down or the customer moves to a location that is less heavily loaded in relation to available capacity, the customer’s speeds will likely improve.

It's documented.

There's also SEVERAL things you can do to not hit this 25GB soft limit.  And, it's not a full throttle, just deprioritization.  People with a GB limit are fully throttled.

• tidbits

That 25GB is only when congested. There is a difference.

• t-mobilie

There is no congested. I talked to tech support for 3 hours and they can't provide any proves. And they told me my unlimited data speed will be at 40kbps plus ( who knows)  until my data cycle reset. So unlimited 4G LTE data plan is  a BIG LIE. they should just call 25GB 4G LTE data plan.

• tidbits

I can prove based on my usage I don't get throttled at all even when I am above the 25GB limit on multiple occasions. The only time I have been throttled going above that high when we traveled to California(SF) and that was a brief moment and things went back to normal. Then it happened again and it always coincided with California peak times. In Hawaii I don't thing there are enough people for me to ever be throttled on any tower on any given moment.