Will the Moto G be available through T-Mobile?

I am buying my wife a Moto G to use on T-Mobile Simple Choice plan. The question is where I will buy it. I would prefer to buy it through T-Mobile, but I have not been able to find any info on whether or not it will ever be available to purchase there.

If it will not be available through T-Mobile, my follow up question would be: which version should I get? Global or US GSM model? For HSPA+, T-Mobile uses 1700 and 2100. I read on another post that the US GSM version would definitely work on T-Mobile, but I would like to know if the Global version would work just as well, as I am planning on traveling to Europe. If Global will not work here, I will stick with US, but if Global will work, I will probably go with Global, unless there is a good reason not to. Thanks for any help!

Global GSM Model:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+ up to 21 Mbps (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)

US GSM Model:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+ up to 21 Mbps (850, 1700 (AWS), 1900 MHz)

All replies

• I agree, the Moto-G is an excellent phone - can't beat the price.

You will have to buy it directly from Motorola since T-Mobile has chosen not to offer it in their stores: http://www.motorola.com/us/shop-all-mobile-phones-1/Moto-G/moto-g-pdp.html .  Read this article at PCMag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2428029,00.asp .

You will want the US model for the 1700MHz AWS, which will give you T-Mobile's 3G HSPA+ at 21Mbps .  Without it on the European model you will be disappointed with your data which might be stuck at 2G speeds.  As PCMag says: "The international GSM model works with AT&T and foreign carriers, but not T-Mobile".

If you can swing it, I would definitely recommend an upgrade to the Moto X: http://www.motorola.com/us/FLEXR1-1/Moto-X/FLEXR1.html .  Not only do you get T-Mobile's 4G HSPA+ at 42Mbps speeds, you also get 4G LTE.  This phone going to be much faster that the Moto-G.

Motorola just started special pricing of the Moto-X at $399, plus a free Google ChromeCast.  They talk about special financing available at checkout, but I couldn't see it when the website started to act up.  Remember, this phone was originally priced by Motorola at $600.  The new price makes it a steal, plus your wife gets to customize its looks.  She will love being the only one of her friends with a phone in something other than black or white.

I personally believe that the Moto X has the best feel of any phone made.  I would have bought one already except that I need T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling.  PCMag really slams T-Mobile for not supporting this phone:  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425106,00.asp .

Hope this helps.  Either phone is a great buy at their price-point.

• The Moto X seems to be a great phone, especially for $400. However, the G is the phone I am going with. Thanks for your help. I do have another question now: what is the best way to get the G activated? Order a micro Sim from T-Mobile or cut the existing one?

• Just read another great review of the Moto G.  Best phone in its class.

Not sure about the Sim card.  If it is relatively new then cutting it down is fine.  I know on our last phone they threw the old Sim card away, saying we needed a new card to fully benefit from all the updating T-Mobile has been doing to its system.  You might go into a T-Mobile store and ask.  With luck they will just put in a new card and not charge you the $15.  Actually, I have never heard of anyone being charged for a new card if it is a matter of updating an out-of-date older one.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • Ordered the phone through Motorola on Sunday. It arrived Wednesday. Was able to take it to my local T-Mobile store, where they cut the Sim card to micro size without hesitation and made sure that everything worked properly. The phone is a huge upgrade to my wife's Samsung Exhibit II. She is very happy. Thanks for all your help.

• magenta1331207

"....4G HSPA+ at 42Mbps speeds..."

Is there another name for this ability, and how can I find which models support this?

• Jumping in with a related question.  Want to get the US Moto G but trying to find out whether it will make and receive phone calls in UK using the Simple Choice roaming plan.  Don't care about data as I will have a Nexus 4 with me to take care of that.  Could not get a definitive answer out of Motorola.