I bought a SGSIII on Febuary 7th from through a local private seller. The phone looked pretty brand new, came with box and all original accessories, and seller even included a really nice expensive case and a few screen protectors. I only spent $400. About 4 days later he messages me and lets me know that T-Mobile would be blacklisting the phone because he bought a new phone and they were gonna consider stolen. Things is I've been using the phone the past few days and I've remained connected to the network. I called T-Mobile and they said I should be fine, that the phone has not been reported lost or stolen. I also read that blacklisting a handset is almost instant so I don't know why I still have service. The seller offered me a full refund if I return the phone, but after learning all this information I suspect he wants the phone back to sell it for more money. My questions are: 1. Should I return the phone for a refund? 2. If I keep the phone and it's eventually blocked off the network what can I do then?

All replies

• Re: IMEI Block

Another thing I found suspicious was how he said T-Mobile was gonna consider this phone lost. Why would T-Mobile do that? For it to be reported lost he would've have to report it himself. I suspect he might be wanting to report it lost to get a replacement and then sell the blacklisted phone to a buddy that wont report him for fraud.

• theartiszan

Re: IMEI Block

That is possible.

There are many ways it can be blocked.

Also if was purchased under a account and account is closed and not paid will be under fraud too.

If he claims insurance to get a new one it gets blocked too.

But unlike he said the block takes a while before it takes effect.  I have heard where a block can take a month or two.

You can keep the phone and risk getting it blocked and have a400$ app and mp3 player or return it and buy a different one.

Hard to say with these 3rd party deals.

From what I remember being told by a rep they can only detect if the phone is currently blocked or not.  They can look up if has been reported or not or if in whatother status the IMEI might be in.

Once it's blocked there's nothing I can do to have it unblocked? It would be best to just take the refund? Only reason why I haven't already returned it is because of the inconvenience of having to spend days without service while I look for a replacement.

• theartiszan

Yeah once its blocked its blocked there is nothing that can be done at that point.

I think we all can agree on one thing: the guy is not playing full deck no matter what the real story is and personally in such cases I stay as far away as I possibly can as a rule.

I read more than one story where somebody bought used phone, verified with TMO the phone is clean just to be blocked later.

For example if the phone is on monthly instalments, it won't show up as bad, until at least 1 or 2 monthly payments are missed, even if it's paid in full, it could be reported stolen later, I mean the guy said it's blocked, he could just report it stolen to make a point, I would.

Yes, I really don't understand this guy's angle,  but I'm just gonna avoid the risk of being stuck with a fancy brick and just return it. I could turn down his offer and like you said, he could just report it stolen after to prove his point.

I don't know if you're trying to stay off contract or not but you can get one for $148 at Wal-Mart if you're eligible for a upgrade.  I just don't trust buying phones from private sellers that I really don't know personally. 

@Gramps from the post it seems like a private seller.

@dayvidpriddy  how many phones have you unlocked that have been reported stolen? 

• tmo_lauren

Hey axelred!

Have you been able to find an answer to your question?

-Lauren

Hi Lauren,

Same issue here kind of, bought it off a co-worker, came brand new, worked for 7 days, has T-Mobile brand on phone & box and today I was told by customer service that the IMEI has been blocked and I can not use it on the network. Any suggestions?

Hi Lauren,

I have iphone 5S t-mobile, i'm live Viet Nam, i want you help me Unlock iphone. My IMEI: 013882007108950

Thank you.

• djtwinsjeny

Hello, help pozhaluysa unlock imei 013882006703835zaranie very little money!!Phone worked flawlessly, and I used it updated wi-fi but the last time updated through kampyuter now gives chtom sim card is not suitable for activation, I do not know what to do next, moshenikam trust afraid that's looking on the official server. thanks in advanceimage.jpeg

• gramps28

More than likely your phone was jail broke and not unlocked and when you did an

update it set your phone back to manufacturer's settings causing it to be sim locked.

• claudiaruiz95

Hello,

i have this similar issue, which is weird since i bought the phone from T-Mobile store. I check the seriel number and system pops out that an outstanding balance is owe on device but keep in mind i just bought phone from t-mobile. And to top it off the store i bought it from is remodeling so it's closed for now. Already reached out to customer support and they're saying phone was lost/stolen. How is this possible if I bought it from T-mobile? Very frustrating.