I live in Japan about 6 months of the year and ......

tokyotumbleweed

I purchased a Galaxy 8+ through T-Mobile and have used it with great success in Japan for the past two years. I spend 2 to 3 months at a time in Japan usually twice a year.

This morning, for the first time, I received a message from T-Mobile stating that "The majority of the recent T-Mobile usage on line (my phone number) has been roaming internationally. Per our terms and condition roaming benefits are not intended for extensive use abroad. You can use WIFI to reduce your international usage...."

First off let me state that I do use WIFI whenever it is available. However, I live in a temple for about 8 hours a day where it is not available and when there I seldom use the device anyway.

I do not want to set myself up with a huge phone bill when I get back to the States and am thinking about getting a SIM card for Japan. Since I have permanent residency in Japan, I should not find it difficult to get a SIM card. NOTE: there are sim cards for tourists as well but I think that I may want to get a more "permanent" one....maybe.

I have two questions:

1. I will be in Japan for another month and a half this time. What potential "penalties" am I facing if I continue to use my phone for that period?

2. If a purchase a SIM card and install it, do I lose my T-Mobile phone number access, do I lose the ability to use the installed apps etc in the same manner that I am now What are the drawbacks of installing a SIM?

I have Galaxy Note 4 here in Japan that I could install a SIM card on, but I don't really want to have to begin an additional service for that when I already have what is presently a very nice setup thanks to T-Mobile!.......which apparently they don't want to continue to provide beyond a certain period of time or data or whatever....

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks

All replies