Red Magic 3s

txsavagecat

For North America, would this phone be able to make phone calls when 2G/3G is shut down based upon information?

source: https://na.redmagic.gg/pages/red-magic-3s-specs

NA Version

FDD-LTE: Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/18/19/20/25/26/28/30/66

TDD-LTE: Bands 34/38/39/40/41

TD-SCDMA: Bands 34/39

WCDMA(WCDMA):Bands 1/2/4/5/8/9/19

CDMA: BC0/BC1

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

NA Version

FDD-LTE: Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/18/19/20/25/26/28/30/66

TDD-LTE: Bands 34/38/39/40/41

TD-SCDMA: Bands 34/39

WCDMA(WCDMA):Bands 1/2/4/5/8/9/19

CDMA: BC0/BC1

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Red Magic 3s

Hey, txsavagecat!

Yes, that device can function our network, however, the level of functionality would depend on the frequencies available in a specific area. Do you plan on being in one general area? If so, let me know the city or zip code so I can take a closer look.

• txsavagecat

Hi Amanda, thank you for looking into this for me. I did my homework prior to asking but since I ended up with conflicting information, I thought it best to ask here.

76247, 75077, and surrounding areas are my general areas (commuting to and from work). 

Once at work or while I am home, I have access to wifi. Would i be able to make phone calls over wifi (VoWiFi)?

• tmo_amanda

I forgot to link you to this in my last reply which may give you a better picture of compatibility: T-Mobile network 

In 76247, you'll be able to connect to band 2 which means you'll pick up 4G LTE, however, the signal isn't super strong inside homes. In the other area, you'll see a very reliable 4G LTE signal while also being able to access 2G/3G. As far as WiFI calling goes, we can't guarantee functionality on non-T-Mobile devices, but most devices don't run into any issues.

What service are you currently on? Have you thought of testing out our network by getting a prepaid SIM and seeing how that works for you?

• txsavagecat

Thanks for the information.

The proposal of a sim is a a good idea but I haven't purchased the phone yet. I wanted to get an idea of it would work on Tmo first. I’m a Tmo customer already (Netflix, Tmo-Tuesday, the whole kit and kaboodle) going on 7 years now. Super happy with my pink carrier.

• sweetpeach

Hey, txsavagecat, I live just south of you and as you know Tmobile is great around here; however, I have to caution you on buying a phone that lacks so many of Tmo's connection bands. You really love all Tmobile has to offer and that's the best kind of customer! Have you considered a phone that includes ALL the Tmobile bands + built in wifi calling? Black Friday is almost here and I'm sure Tmobile will have GREAT deals! The total experience is best with a Tmobile phone and you sound like an avid user. I'm NOT saying that BYOD phones don't work, but it's very hard for Tmobile technicians to help when problems crop up.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • txsavagecat

Hi sweetpeach. black Friday is a good point. My main interest in this and the asus rig phone 2 that I also inquired about in another post is their huge battery. The RM3 has a 5000mAh battery and the asus has a 6000mAh battery (being tethered to a portable battery pack is a nuisance). These are gaming phones but do very well in as a daily driver for business use. My eyes are aren’t what they use to be so the larger screens are great plus they have an excellent speakers. And to top it off, they have FLAT screens. I hate the curve screens. They are cool to look at but you lose valuable screen real estate space with the areas on the curve for the way I use the phone and work (and don’t get me started on the glare and those curves). My iPhone 6sPlus actually has a better useable screen area and it’s 5 years old.

This next year with 2G/3G being shutdown in various places and with 5G phones demanding such a premium price, I’m hoping to get a phone that’ll get me by the next year and then 5G will be the de facto and hopefully then I won’t need to BYOD.

• sweetpeach

I totally get the BIG battery & the eyes that "ain't what they used to be". However, my caution boils down to - if you don't have the expertise to fix connection problems on your own, you're taking a $400 risk on "non" T-Mobile phones.

• tmo_amanda

Gotcha, txsavagecat! Glad you've been with us for so long and are enjoying everything we have to offer! Sweetpeach makes a great point and definitely one to consider. Let us know if you have any other questions and we'll do our best to get them answered so you can make a decision on a phone.