VoLTE ROG Phone 2

edbird78

Hello,

I am hoping a TMobile representative in marketing or the technical side can help the ASUS ROG Phone 2 Community.

I have been in touch with ASUS over and over again via Phone, Email, Message Board, and even though I have explained the situation over and over again, they don't seem to grasp how important VoLTE is to US carriers.

I am writing this message for help from someone at Tmobile to reach out to ASUS and get this phone certified for their networks.

The ROG Phone 2 is the fastest Android phone on the market, and if TMobile could get this phone on their network (even better if in stores) this phone would sell extremely well. "Androids fastest phone on the fastest network" sorta thing.

Please help those trying to get this phone certified. Any assistance is greatly appriciated.

Ed

All replies

• sweetpeach

Re: VoLTE ROG Phone 2

First, congrats on such a spec heavy phone! Have you tried apps on Google Play that may help maintain connection & clean up the voice signal? Really sad to hear ASUS isn't responding better.... Unfortunately, the protocols are different all over the world; sometimes it's hard to believe Android is even related to Linux.

• edbird78

The issue is either ASUS can't get it certified on TMobile or they won't. This is a big concern with TMobile expanding LTE band 12 that has no corresponding 3G signal. Thus, there are instances were this phone will have data but not voice or texting ability.

TMobile needs to step in and help with this so this phone can be utilized on the carrier.

Thank you

Ed

• sweetpeach

You can us Hangouts if the other party has a Google email account. Data is all you need.

• edbird78

I appreciate the help, but this won't suffice.

If work calls, I can't use Hangouts.

If I need to call 911 Google voice won't work.

TMobile needs to help the community on this one and get ASUS phones VoLTE certified for the network.

Zenphone and ROG phone are just too good of devices to be left out.

• tidbits

edbird78 wrote:

I appreciate the help, but this won't suffice.

If work calls, I can't use Hangouts.

If I need to call 911 Google voice won't work.

TMobile needs to help the community on this one and get ASUS phones VoLTE certified for the network.

Zenphone and ROG phone are just too good of devices to be left out.

no matter what phone you have by US law for phones sold in the US E911 must work AND it tested by FCC during development. You can have an inactive phone and place a call and it will connect to the nearest tower regardless of who it belongs to and connects the call.

You don't need VoLTE to make calls.  All you need is Edge(2G) to make a call.

• sweetpeach

I know my stupid is sticking out here so bear with me. If band 12 has 4G LTE in a particular area, does that mean that 3G & 2G are also available on that band 12?

• edbird78

No, unfortunately, LTE Band 12 is strictly 4G LTE with no corresponding 2G/3G signal. As a company, it makes sense for Tmobile to do this as limited devices require 2G and 3G, but with out Tmobile allowing ASUS to get their phones certified for VoLTE, they are limiting the choices of devices customers can utilize on the network.

I normally am not one to "rock the boat" but seeing as the ROG Phone 2 is one the best Android Smart phones to come out this year, I think it is fair for it to get certified on this network. As a customer I want more choices than Samsung, Apple, or Google.

• edbird78

As your statement is often true, this is not always the case.

The ROG Phone 2 supports LTE band 12, thus is able to connect to LTE Band 12 on Tmobile for LTE Data. LTE Band 12 has no corresponding 2G/3G signal.

3G is Green.png

If you look at Northern MI, the entire region is in Pink. That shows it has 4G LTE but not 3G, which is green.

With the ROG Phone 2 not supporting VoLTE, there is no way to make a voice call in that area, but you will still have data.

The phone may connect to another carrier's 2G or 3G but with ATT and Verizon shutting down their 2G and 3G networks, there really isnt any other carriers it can connect too.

• tidbits

edbird78 wrote:

The ROG Phone 2 supports LTE band 12, thus is able to connect to LTE Band 12 on Tmobile for LTE Data. LTE Band 12 has no corresponding 2G/3G signal.

3G is Green.png

If you look at Northern MI, the entire region is in Pink. That shows it has 4G LTE but not 3G, which is green.

With the ROG Phone 2 not supporting VoLTE, there is no way to make a voice call in that area, but you will still have data.

The phone may connect to another carrier's 2G or 3G but with ATT and Verizon shutting down their 2G and 3G networks, there really isnt any other carriers it can connect too.

Where did you get this map? I was just up in Norther Michigan and I could place calls without LTE.  Sure it dropped me down to 2G but I was able to place a call on T-Mobile.  I know I wasn't roaming as there was no roaming icon nor did the carrier change on the pull down.  Just couldn't use data while on that call.

Asus needs to make it work.  Sony did the testing, Apple, Samsung, Sony, LG, Xiaomi, Hauia and shoot even the possibly soon defunked HTC made it work.  T-Mobile has no problems letting unlocked devices use VoLTE.

Wouldn't matter what other carriers are doing.  By the time all carriers dropped 2G/3G there will already be probably 2-3 generations of the RoG phone out if Asus decides to keep developing them.  When that happens well that means FCC makes sure it still will be able to make emergency calls.

• tidbits

tidbits wrote:

edbird78 wrote:

3G is Green.png

Where did you get this map? I was just up in Norther Michigan and I could place calls without LTE. Sure it dropped me down to 2G but I was able to place a call on T-Mobile. I know I wasn't roaming as there was no roaming icon nor did the carrier change on the pull down. Just couldn't use data while on that call.

Asus needs to make it work. Sony did the testing, Apple, Samsung, Sony, LG, Xiaomi, Hauia and shoot even the possibly soon defunked HTC made it work. T-Mobile has no problems letting unlocked devices use VoLTE.

Wouldn't matter what other carriers are doing. By the time all carriers dropped 2G/3G there will already be probably 2-3 generations of the RoG phone out if Asus decides to keep developing them. When that happens well that means FCC makes sure it still will be able to make emergency calls.

Huawei not Hauia lol