Text from T-Mobile about roaming usage.

endeavour1701

Hi everybody,

I would like to know what is the limit for the international roaming per T-Mobile terms.

I have spent 16 days in Thailand, then 13 days in USA, and then vacation 16 days in France and Switzerland.

I came back 5 days ago home, and today I am receiving the text attached below.

Very surprising too that I have been purchasing a pass 15GB International Pass.

I purchased it 2 times in a row.

If it is a problem to use our phone abroad, I would like to understand why we can get a pass for 30 days, et why we are allowed to purchase a new one.

Does T-Mobile just want our money without the right to use the benefit we paid for ?

Seriously, for $50, I could have use my phone a lot. I didn't call enough to cover the cost of $50 at $0.25/minutes. And regarding the data, on the first pass I took for Thailand, I used less than 3GB, and for my trip in Europe, less than 3GB too.

I took the 15GB because 10 days was just not enough.

I then do not understand the text message I received, and why I am receiving it.

Any explanation would be very helpful. Thank you.

The text I received today :

The majority of the recent T-Mobile usage on line xxxxxxxxxx has been roaming internationally. Per our terms and conditions roaming benefits are not intended for extensive use abroad.  You can use Wi-Fi to reduce your international usage. See details: t-mo.co/roaming

All replies

• gramps28

Re: Text from T-Mobile about roaming usage.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/legal/terms-and-conditions

Results in more than 50% of your voice and/or data usage being Off-Net (i.e., connected to another provider’s network) for any 2 billing cycles within any 12-month period;

• endeavour1701

Hi gramps28,

Ok, so what is the purpose of the 15GB pass, and why can you purchase it again right after ?

That means, during the 1.5 weeks I ws home, I could have let my phone calling for hours another phone, and then using tons of data, then the average would have been more than 50% in USA ?

Is my understanding correct ?

• syaoran

I would call Customer Care about it or contact the T-Force Team through Twitter or Facebook.  Unless this is a fairly new service, I don't see why you would be getting that warning.  I have personally never received these warnings, even when spending close to 3 months in the UK and 4 months up in Canada.  Obviously, not in the same year, but as in one stay abroad each.  I do regularly leave the country though. 

• gramps28

I believe it's tower usage is what they check so if you're using wifi calling you don't have the connection to the tower

and would probably not get the message. There was another thread on here similar to yours if you want to search for it.

As for the data pass , no clue.

• drnewcomb2

Did you mention how long you've had your T-Mobile line. It would surprise me to get that warning for that amount of roaming, unless you have a very recently become a customer.

• endeavour1701

tmo_mike, I saw that you selected the answer as Correct Answer, the one that is pointing to the terms and conditions.

If I didn't purchase the travel data plan, I would agree.

But what is the purpose of purchasing the $50 15GB data pass if you are not allowed to use it ?

This does not make any sense....

Sorry, I unmarked the answer from being the correct answer

• tmo_mike_c

That feature is for temporary high speed data while roaming. If it didn't allow you to use it after you purchased it, it's a good idea to have our Care team look at the account to make sure that the feature was added to the account.

• endeavour1701

tmo_mike_c wrote:

That feature is for temporary high speed data while roaming. If it didn't allow you to use it after you purchased it, it's a good idea to have our Care team look at the account to make sure that the feature was added to the account.

Hi @tmo_mike_c, I agree it's for temporary. I was travelling to Europe for 2.5 weeks, and then back 1.5 week, and had to travel 3 weeks in Thailand. FOr all of that, I purchased the pass twice in a row.

You get 15GB. I never use that much.

Look at my initial comment, Of course if I travel exceptionally that much during 2 month, I may use more data abroad than in USA.

So, why selling data pass with such a high volume of data if you get warn or threatened by using not even a third of it ?

This is a total non-sense...

Can you provide more explanation ?

• tmo_mike_c

I think we have 2 separate instances here:

1. The data usage while roaming internationally

2. The total usage of service in general while roaming.

Per the terms that were posted already, you got the text from your original post because the large portion of your usage was international.

As for the 15GB feature, I feel like we have that for folks that need a lot more high speed data while roaming. Some folks may use that feature and still have the large portion of their usage in the U.S.

• sweetpeach

Why is it called 15GB International Pass?

• endeavour1701

sweetpeach wrote:

Why is it called 15GB International Pass?

Exactly....

• tmo_mike_c

I'm thinking you still got the message because of the usage was probably more than 50% on a roaming partner's network. The usage piece I mentioned is in our terms. My guess is that this usage happened over 2 billing cycles so that could've been what triggered the message. With out access your account and seeing your usage, it's tough to tell, but that's my best guess. You're welcome to use the international passes, but using more services for that long on an international partner isn't common for most T-Mobile customers.

• drnewcomb2

I used to have an unlimited plan with a regional carrier. They had T&Cs that said that over 90 days 50% of my minutes had to be on their network. If I planned to travel around the US, I'd first call a free chat, time or music line and walk away for an hour, (rinse and repeat multiple times) just to make sure that my on-network usage numbers were up there.  

• endeavour1701

tmo_mike_c wrote:

I think we have 2 separate instances here:

1. The data usage while roaming internationally

2. The total usage of service in general while roaming.

Per the terms that were posted already, you got the text from your original post because the large portion of your usage was international.

As for the 15GB feature, I feel like we have that for folks that need a lot more high speed data while roaming. Some folks may use that feature and still have the large portion of their usage in the U.S.

Hi Mike,

I still do not understand why we can get a pass for 30 days then. Of course you will use more data and other services while abroad than in USA.

Isn't it against logic to pay a pass for that long and then receiving a threatening message to end your service is if you continue that way ?

When you travel, you do not get always WiFi. I took the 15GB just because the 5GB was only for 10 days, and I was staying longer than that.

At home, I have WiFi, at work, I do too, and for the rest, I do not use my cell phone.

But when you travel, you do not get WiFi all the time, and what's the purpose of getting a pass then if you need to search for WiFI anyway ?

Lot of times, it's painful to get connected on some wifi. And since you have enough data, just use it.

This should be understood that when you travel, your data consumption is bigger than at home. Obviously it will be.

So then, how can you explain that ?

You get a pass especially for using it abroad, no ?

Also, while doing that, you normally should overwrite some of the rule. If not, what's the purpose of a pass then if nothing change ?