ROG Phone 2 - no VoLTE

gentso123

Asus ROG Phone II specs - PhoneArena

This phone does not have VoLTE. How concerning is that for the future? Does that mean at any time when 2g and 3g are dropped that this phone can no longer make calls on T-Mobile? Or will it make calls on HSPA+ network?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: ROG Phone 2 - no VoLTE

HSPA+ is actually 3G, T-Mobile just decided to rebrand it as "4G", which some people call "faux-G". So, to answer your question, without VoLTE, a phone will not be able to make a call on and all-LTE network. Many parts of T-Mobile's network are already "all-LTE". Very little expansion is being carried out on the 2G or 3G service. The vast majority of new deployments are LTE-only. All band 12 and 71 service is LTE-only. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • syaoran

Band 66 is notably missing, which is surprising.  Have you checked and verified the APN settings? 

BYOD T-Mobile data & APN settings

You might want to check out the Asus ROG Phone II forum over on XDA.  There might be a dialer code to help provision it or to bypass provisioning to enable it. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • txsavagecat

I actually contacted Asus regarding the ROG Phone II and if it contains the hardware necessary to use VoLTE (Voice over LTE) and the phone does have the hardware and software to support VoLTE. The email response I received goes on to say that many international cellular carriers have already qualified the device so it is truly T-Mobile not allowing the feature to be enabled. Unless North American carriers (T-mobile in this scenario) enables VoLTE feature, this phone will not be able to make a basic phone call once 2G/3G is shut down.

I realize it's T-Mobile final decision what features are permitted to work on their network, it is their network, I am only using it. I would just like a high-level understanding of why some features are allowed and others are not - even if it is just to encourage purchase of their phones - that's an answer I could accept. I'm not technical in the way of mobile connections/network traffic by any means but the Asus ROG Phone II made me research more than I ever thought I would on the phones and at this point it's more of a curiosity than anything else.

Note: I am a T-Mobile customer and a happy one at that. I would just be happier if I could use an Asus ROG Phone 2 on their network. T-mobile, are you listening?

• syaoran

VoLTE should work perfectly fine.  T-Mobile has nothing to block a device from using VoLTE as long as the settings in the device and the bands it is using for service match up.  I have VoLTE working on the Xiaomi Mi MIX 3, which is not a T-Mobile device.  Have you checked all of the correct settings?  Have you asked T-Mobile to send a reprovision to your SIM for VoLTE?  Some engineering menus can also trigger this without a call. 

• txsavagecat

I haven't purchased the phone. Over at XDA forums I have found numerous discussions around this issue. I'll definitely checkout the specs for the Xiaomi Mi MIX 3 and see how similar these phones are.

I had a very lengthy conversation through Facebook Messenger with a representative from T-Mobile and I could not get any explanation as to why VoLTE not be allowed on a phone. I sincerely feel like the agent was trying to be helpful as she spent so much time with me but I honestly think the information I was asking for was above her pay grade, no disrespect meant, just working in Corporate America myself, I know us grunts don't always know what's going on at the higher levels at the business.

I'll keep asking and keep pestering TMobile until I can get a reasonable answer. Probably.

• syaoran

XDA us an excellent resource!  As much as Android sounds like unified platform, the dialer codes, engineering modes, and features the OEM's allow can differ a lot.  It is hard for anyone in any forum of support to know every device, especially on a platform as diverse as Android. 

A quick glance at the ROG Phone II, there are some threads that might be worth reading through.  WiFi Calling is very hit and miss because it can be very region specific.  T-Mobile uses the stock Android WiFi Calling implementation but it is up to the OEM, in this case, Asus, to enable it or to set the implementation they want.  With some devices, you can use Qualcomm tools to edit and mess with what is well beyond the engineering emus of the devices.  The OnePlus 7 Pro forum has a thread about that and those threads are more common in more popular devices.

The hardware seems to be the same for the ROG Phone II so cross-flashing and firmware mods might easily add more US carrier compatibility. 

• txsavagecat

You sound quite knowledgeable and are giving me hope.

When you say, "The hardware seems to be the same for the ROG Phone II", are you referring to the OP7 Pro here? If so, I wondered the same thing. I have no clue how to flash roms, or root a phone. I'm leaving apple for android so I am learning just how powerful android is.

• syaoran

Since you haven't purchased the phone, waiting is good.  That way, you can see what the community comes up with.  I have spend way too much time modding and testing phones.  The Sidekick 4G got me started when the first update for the OS really messed things up.  I soft bricked it rolling back  but managed to recover it.  The whole allure to custom firmware caught my interest after that.  I used that device for so long because I love that keyboard!  My girlfriend still uses my second Samsung Galaxy Nexus as an MP3 player.  The first one got so waterlogged from being out in a storm, it never fully worked right after sitting in rice for the better part of a month.  Messing with devices can be fun.  I bought an HTC Wildfire in the UK once and brought it back to North America.  The bands on it left me with 3G only but after some NV edits, I was able to get a few useful bands to work for 4G.  Gosh, HEX is not fun. 

Today, devices are a lot easier to get working, even if things aren't supported out of the box.  Most devices are the same hardware with the exception of Samsung when you cross the ocean.  It can make them easier to flash to a carrier firmware, which sadly, Asus won't have.  But T-Mobile customers seem to be very well represented on XDA.  Getting WiFi Calling and VoLTE seems to pop up with most phones, even if it ultimately ends up being in custom firmware only.  T-Mobile is always the first to get WiFi Calling and VoLTE working through a hybrid firmware on Samsung Exynos devices.

There is definitely hope.  The early adopters just do most of the work, which can be fun for them sometimes.  Keep an eye on the XDA ROG Phone II forums and maybe even post a thread asking if anyone can confirm if WiFi Calling and VoLTE is working yet on any firmware variant for T-Mobile USA.  JerryRig's teardown of the ROG Phone II is pretty interesting, if you haven't seen it already. 

• txsavagecat

I sub'd JerryRig YT channel. Interesting channel so thanks for the recommendation.

What does it mean to "load a custom firware" (high-level details is fine). I envision a clone of the original with a few modifications to the file(s) and then reloading the phone with it. Or, are you saying the (XDA peeople) take the firmware from phone B and apply it to Phone A since the hardware is so similar, it works on another phone even though it wasn't intended for that phone.

• syaoran

Custom firmware usually involves enough modifications to not be defined as stock anymore.  Usually modified kernels, overclocking the device, and getting the device to do things that were not included in the original stock firmware.  Some firmware do away with the skinned UI's of most OEM's for stock Android or a more Pixel experience.  Each custom firmware is different and different devs focus on different things.  It is always good to read the OP of a custom firmware thread and the few following posts to get an idea of what the firmware focuses on for features and changes. 

Most OEM's make full stock firmware available in some way, shape, or form as well as with a tool to recover the device from soft brick (not booting).  It is always good to familiarize yourself with these tools in case you ever need to flash the stock firmware.  In most cases, fastboot is an option and one that is fairly easy to do.  TWRP images are usually fine but TWRP doesn't always flash all of the partitions needed because it is designed to preserve data and is a modified form of recovery.  This is why flashing a TWRP backup on most modern devices leaves the device in a soft brick state where it will not boot.  Flashing forward for updates with TWRP is fine, because it's just a partial over the base, like most OTA's, but flashing full images, I would recommend sticking to stock tools unless you are interested in using custom firmware. 

In most cases, the modifications, like T-Mobile Exynos firmware, is just a combination ROM.  Exynos base with the carrier partition and radio added to it.  Samsung makes this fairly easy.  I haven't owned an Asus phone yet but in most cases, there isn't a lot of difference once you have an understanding of how flashing works from a stock and custom prospective.  Android has a lot of settings locked out to the user of the device.  Those who understand the coding and modding side can usually access and change these settings, enabling WiFi Calling, VoLTE, and other features not normally working for that firmware.  This is where the hope that someone will take a liking to the device that is on T-Mobile and have the knowledge to get VoLTE and or WiFi Calling working. 

• lmggmr55

Hey guys I love the work that’s been going on and I’d like to further it. Could you please sign my petition to get voLTE and band 71 on the rog phone 2.

http://chng.it/FPR5qpSfKR