Reception issues

rory535

Why is it that sitting in the exact same position in my office building, my reception can DRAMATICALLY vary so much? I am on the 11th floor and using OpenSignal, looks like I am connecting to a cell tower 2 blocks away! I am on the new iPhone 11 that is even supposed to use the better signal for indoor use.

My images show the speed and connection signal but Im stumped as to why the reception bars go from 1 to full bars on occasion. Mostly they sit at 1 bar unfortunately.

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Reception issues

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your signal in your office! Signal indoors can definitely fluctuate due to a number of factors. Do you have a WiFi network that you can connect to while in the office?

• tmo_chris

Just checking to see if you still needed any help with this

• rory535

Hi Chris

I can certainly understand having a good or poor signal that is constant based on where you are. but what are the factors when you’re in the same location and the signal can go from pour to excellent when nothing external is really changing. No buildings are moving, no structures are being erected, so what are those factors?

• tmo_chris

It's possible that specific location is on the fringe of the signal from the tower that is giving you the good signal and as more folks connect to that tower the effective range of the signal is reduced. If the signal is inconsistent in your building, we can take a closer look at the tower that serves that area if you give us a call. Our folks over the phone can gather specific information from you and escalate this to our engineers.