New phone, different-sized SIM card

shakennotstirred

I am getting a new phone. It uses a different-sized SIM card than my old phone. How do I get a new SIM card, and what is the process of getting the new phone active with my existing T-Mobile number? It is hard for me to get out, so I'd prefer not to have to go to a store.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: New phone, different-sized SIM card

I assume the new phone uses a Nano-SIM. While it's possible to cut down larger SIMs and their are tools to do this, I wouldn't guarantee the results going to a Nano-size SIM. They are not only supposed to be smaller but also a tad thinner. T-Mobile will sell you a new SIM for $25 (which is a rip-off). You should be able to take any new, unactivated, T-Mobile SIM, including prepaid, and do a SIM-swap. It used to be that you could do this online from My-T-Mobile but they've changed the website and I don't see how you can do it yourself. You may need to get CS involved.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • shakennotstirred

Hi. Thanks for the response. Sorry to be so long before acknowledging your reply.

I agree with your opinion of charging $25 for a new SIM card, and it's is just too much for T-Mobile to try to hit me with at a time when I was considering shopping for a new carrier to go with my new phone anyway. I've found a carrier that has a plan which better suits my needs and sent a SIM card for free. Thanks again.

• tmo_amanda

Congrats on your new phone! Did your new phone already come with a SIM? It usually will if you ordered through us. You can find all the info you need to activate your new SIM online here: Buy or change SIM cards . Please let me know if you have any other questions!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • shakennotstirred

Amanda, thanks for your reply. TMO Support here on the forum has always been most helpful. It's something I will miss about T-Mobile.

• tmo_amanda

Aww, bummed you're leaving, but I'm glad you found the answers you were looking for here in our Support Community!

• magenta8055614

Sad that Shakennotstirred screwed up. Free Sim card with new cellphone. He could have purchased a new sim cheap at eBay for a couple of bucks. I doubt another carrier could give him more than T-Mo. I made the mistake of switching to Verizon [DarthVader] and suffered for over a year. Fortunately, T-Mo had a promo and I jumped at it. I have been with T-Mo since 1999 [VoiceStream] with the Verizon 18 month break. NEVER AGAIN, it's T-Mobile FOREVER.

• shakennotstirred

Hi. Only time will tell but I don't feel like I screwed up. I did not come here to promote or denigrate any carrier, but the fact is that a new phone from T-Mobile, free SIM card or not, would have cost me far more than what I paid. I started as a T-Mobile customer in 2013 through Brightspot (Target) and have been generally happy or I would not have stayed so long. The fact is, as I stated, my new carrier has the best plan for MY use case. I have no hard feelings against T-Mobile. I'm still on their network and have seen no degradation. I am not a big enough data user, ordinarily, that it would matter much anyway. Coincidentally, I had a home internet outage for about 30 hours and my computers had to rely on the mobile hotspot, and it was quite satisfactory.

I hope you continue to enjoy T-Mobile.