Coverage While in South Korea

sgmstr

International Plans | Traveling Abroad without Roaming Fees | T-Mobile

This webpage says while I can get a coverage while traveling abroad to South Korea, none of the more popular devices (such all iPhone and Samsung models) are not be compatible to use in Korea.  T-Mobile might as well just say travelers do not get coverage in South Korea.

Has anyone used iPhone XS Max in Korea without any issues?  I have an Unlocked version.

What phones are compatible in South Korea if the phones most people use are not compatible?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Coverage While in South Korea

T-Mobile's website is often wrong about which devices will (or will not) roam in some countries.

If your phone has UMTS band 1 (2100 MHz) it should work in S. Korea. LTE bands 1, 5, 7 and 40 are also used.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • sgmstr

Great information.  Thank you.

Here is the tech specs on my iphone.  Seems like given the cell specs on my phone (below), it would work as the phone has the bands you listed below, but not 100% if I'm looking at it correctly.  Can you please check?

Model A1921*

FDD‑LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 66, 71)

TD‑LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46)

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

• drnewcomb2

Looks good to me. I recall when roaming in Korea meant you had to rent a special SIM-equipped CDMA handset at the airport and swap your T-Mobile SIM over. Verizon customers could roam with their CDMA handsets. This was the state of things as of the 2002 World Cup in Korea. It wasn't too many years afterward that Japan and Korea began to join the rest of the world in deploying UMTS (2100 MHz) and now LTE. Japan, in particular, had gone out of their way to promote unique domestic standards (to protect the Japanese electronics industry) but the ease of international travel meant that the younger generation wanted a phone with international roaming compatibility.  Neither country ever deployed GSM.