4G LTE Signal Booster has no effect

wiseguy316

I ordered a Personal CellSpot 4G LTE Signal Booster and set it up no problem. The window unit in a second story window always has 3-4 bars and the LTE light is green. The coverage unit in the basement shows an established link, all green lights, and always reads a 7-9. According to the docs, it appears to be set up and working perfectly.

However, the signal on my iPhone 8 seems unchanged. The weak or dead spots in my house still exist as before. I've read reports of people being thrilled with suddenly having full bars throughout their house with one of these, but I still have a weak signal in the basement right next to the coverage unit and a frequently dead spot in a direct line of sight 20 ft away from it. Am I missing something? Do I need to change a setting in my phone I'm not aware of?

All replies

• syaoran

Re: 4G LTE Signal Booster has no effect

A signal booster needs to have decent signal to amplify the signal.  If your signal wasn't great in the first place, it won't be able to amplify that signal.  What you should have requested was a Cell Spot v2, which uses a wired connection to your home internet service to give you a band 4 cellular signal that uses your internet.  It isn't WiFi Calling, but is cellular over IP. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_mike_c

That's correct. You'll need good signal on your phone near the window first before using the booster. Do you have solid signal on the device?

• wiseguy316

My Phone usually has 2 (out of 4) bars where the window unit is. The window unit itself almost always reads 3 (out of 5) bars, occasionally showing 4 bars.

• tmo_mike_c

Ah okay. Have you tried moving the coverage unit out of the basement area to see if it helps? I'm just curious if the location of the unit that's a possible problem.

• wiseguy316

Last night I moved it to the main floor living room, where it read a “3” (which makes sense since it’s much closer to the window unit upstairs). Still not seeing a difference. I have 1, sometimes 2, bars on my phone throughout most of the house, including right next to the coverage unit.

• wiseguy316

Since I usually still have a signal without the signal booster (albeit a weak one), is it possible the phone is ignoring the booster and connecting directly to the tower because it can? Maybe I should try hiding in a corner of the basement to try to lose signal and see if the booster helps then.

• tmo_mike_c

Changing the location of the home unit can help. Is it only at your home where you're signal isn't the strongest? Filing a Service Complaint may be the next step for signal troubles in a certain area.

• wiseguy316

I wouldn’t think it warrants a service complaint, unless that’s not as negative as it sounds.

Here’s my scenario:

I typically have one or two bars throughout my whole house, but never 3+. Occasionally, I lose a signal in a few spots, such as the master bathroom and the basement. What motivated me to get a booster is after spending some time in the basement and coming upstairs, I received several text messages that had been sent more than an hour earlier.

I chose the booster over the mini tower because I’ve had unrelated WiFi outages recently and didn’t want a solution that relied on my home internet connection for the sake of reliability. Otherwise I do have WiFi calling enabled, so calls shouldn’t be an issue as long as my home internet is up, though text messages would still be an issue, right? So I was hoping the booster would be sufficient to give me reliable signal in those unreliable spots so I don’t miss texts, mostly.

Does that situation genuinely warrant an official service complaint? I’m not sure if I originally made the service here sound worse than it is. Thanks.

• sweetpeach

Actually, if you are connected to WiFi and WiFi calling is enabled, your text messages should send & receive over WiFi as well. However, when your phone can't maintain a solid connection all sorts of problems can ensue... constantly searching for a WiFi signal can eat up your battery, lack of signal can cause you not to receive texts and calls or circle incessantly trying to send texts, just to mention a couple of issues.

• wiseguy316

Interesting, I didn’t know text messages (other than iMessage) would still work with WiFi calling. Before I was able to enable WiFi calling, I definitely did experience those issues you mentioned with repeated send failures and the like.

I guess I’ll amend my previous post and say maybe it is worth calling Tmobile support. I’ve had my internet down today, and I pretty much just get one bar everywhere in my house. As I sit in my living room on the main floor, I have one bar and pages are pretty slow to load. Only upstairs where I have the booster’s window unit does my phone get two bars.

• magenta9882238

I hope you get it resolved because we only had 1-bar in our house and adding the CellSpot gave us full 4 bar and LTE coverage throughout our 3000SF house. Works great, so if you aren't seeing that kind of improvement, I would definitely be on the support phone with T-Mobile. CellSpot ROCKS!

Additionally, in our other home, we activated Wi-Fi calling on our iPhones and connected with our internal wi-fi router and the same results ensued!  1 bar to 4 and full speed wi-fi calling.

So happy we switched from AT&T!!