Unlocked S9+ Update Confusion

ebilly

I am stumped. I have no idea what to from this point. My issue is that my  (Factory Unlocked) Samsung Galaxy S9+ is stuck on this update version and no one that I contact knows what to do.

I talked to a TMobile Representative, tells me to try Smart switch, manual OTA check, cache wipe and nothing.

Then he tells me to try contacting Samsung to get a manual flash and they don't have a single clue what to do or what I am talking about.

Then Samsung proceeds to tell me to try to taking it to Best Buy to get it fixed (they mentioned that it will be free). Apparently a lot of people are in the same boat as me and (If I am not wrong) I am currently 4 updates behind! My brother's S8 is even getting updates!

Is Samsung just trying to dodge the issue or should I have faith in what they're saying? Who is to blame here? Samsung or Tmobile? I REALLY want to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

(Btw, I am not trying to rag on either of them, I just want this nightmare to stop   )

Screenshot_20190807-232506_Software update.jpg

All replies

• googley

Re: Unlocked S9+ Update Confusion

Screenshot_20190808-112718_Messenger.jpgS9+ unlocked still on January  update

• googley

Removed t-mobile SIM inserted an old cricket mobile SIM allowed it to install its updates for the Carrier. Attempted to do updates over Wi-Fi since SIM was not registered no updates since it wouldn't check then I removed the cricket SIM re booted the phone with no SIM installed checked for updates over my Wi-Fi and went from January 1st to June 1st update so it is the Carrier blocking the updates

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • googley

Screenshot_20190810-155735_Software update.jpg

• tmo_lauren

Hmm.

We don't send out the updates for unlocked devices, but also don't block them. I'm curious if there is something on the Samsung side that has them pushing delays to our network at a different rate (they often won't do full pushes for balance reasons) or something otherwise sort of obscure.

I'm gonna try and do some follow up. As far as we're concerned from the carrier perspective, we just want you using our service. We don't care how you're using it and don't stand to make money on the device sales, so it's not to our benefit to block an update or otherwise cause someone to switch networks.

• googley

I got my unlocked Samsung S9 plus to update by removing my T-Mobile SIM inserting a non functioning cricket mobile SIM re booting the phone a few times then removing the  Cricket SIM card reboot the phone and with no SIM card installed my phone was able to get updates over my Wi-Fi connection which tells me that T-Mobile is blocking my phone from updating because of the Carrier  Restrictions. I had called T-Mobile and Samsung about this multiple times my phone was stuck on the January one update and I went all the way to June 1st by removing my T-Mobile SIM card

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

• ebilly

Hi there Lauren! Thanks for your response! (And sorry for making mine late.) I have decided to try out the trick that everyone else is recommending by using another sim from another carrier. And well:Screenshot_20190829-025014_Software update.jpgIt worked! However, my software has been changed to 'XAA' instead of 'TMB'. Another clue to this puzzle is that the provided update list for the TMB software shows that there has been no update pushed since One UI.

Screenshot_20190829-030009_Chrome.jpgSo if you can PLEASE follow up with this I would be more than grateful, and I think I will be speaking for all the S9 TMB family. Thank you!

XAA Update List page: Notify Update

TMB Update List page: Notify Update

All of the links were provided from the device after each update.

• spring45

I have brought this issue to T-Mobile's attention MULTIPLE times, it is an issue on your side and unlocked users are frankly sick of the company not caring and not doing anything about it. If I have to pop in another company's SIM card to get an update on my phone maybe I should just keep it in there and use their service while I'm at it.