OnePlus 7 pro updates

magenta8617201

It appears OnePlus has had update version 9.5.10 out for several weeks now and T-Mobile has yet to send update out to their customers. The last two updates from T-Mobile have been only security updates for Android. OnePlus has released software updates to improve the camera and screen gestures and touches, but TMobile hasn't. If my phone was unlocked I could download the updates online. TMobile has to step up and refrain from not updating new phones.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: OnePlus 7 pro updates

You're never going to have a carrier version of a phone be as up-to-date as the non-carrier versions.

When you buy a phone, you're making one of two acknowledgements:

1. If you buy a carrier-branded version of the phone, you acknowledge that all software updates will be tested by them on their timeline so you know it should work fine (There have been comments about some updates being rejected in the past because it didn't work with something carrier-related).
        2. If you buy a non-branded phone (Pixel, iPhone, Unlocked Galaxy, etc), you accept there's the chance that an update will cause something carrier-related to not work as expected.  My personal experience with Android devices has been software updates do things that break other apps (camera-related has been the primary, but I've had text messaging issues as well for a day or two at least once)

I'm not saying you shouldn't expect updates.  But, I'm imagining T-Mobile is like any company I've worked for where the QA team isn't particularly large.  There's a fairly large number of devices T-Mobile sells (and thus supports for a period of time).  The allocation of these resources are based on some algorithm (my guess is some ratio relating to number of devices sold and how long since the last update was pushed?  That's how I'd do it).

"Weeks" is probably way too soon to get through any carrier testing.

• snn555

You can always do like the 6T owners and go to XDA and download and flash the international firmware.

T-Mobile of course does not support that action however it is something you can do and revert back to T-Mobile stock firmware if need be.

• bernest44

Unfortunately you get duped by TMobile that your getting this great device.  For me....I've been eyeballing the OnePlus 7 Pro for months.  I know the phone is truly a Flagship....PERIOD!  HOWEVER, TMobile feels that even though we are paying for the phone....we don't deserve the updates because we didn't purchase outright.  We financed.  Do I lose the horsepower of a Charger because I decided to lease?  Cmon TMobile....you want to play with the big boys.....get the proper tech people on board and get these phones the updates we deserve and the features that come with them!  MAN UP!  Be the Flagship go to!

• syaoran

The updates and the schedule they are released has nothing to do with T-Mobile.  The internatiinal/US firmware and T-Mobile firmware are not comparable.  The notification issues and a few other major issues on 9.5.10 that were carried over from the internatiinal/US 9.5.9 firmware that the T-Mobile 9.5.9 firmware do not have so there is no need for a newer firmware until th August security patch is released by Google. 

• bernest44

Well....forgive me if I trust who I should on this but OnePlus is even jumping on the TMobile bandwagon.  They say that these updates should be passed on to assure we are getting all the camera fixes and others as well.  Why can't we have what the others have?  It's the same phone!  You aren't even updating our phones with their updates.  Or if you are...it's months after all others have benefited from the nice camera fixes.  So I should go to Verizon because they update their phones when they should and with ALL the extras? 

• syaoran

OnePlus support is just deflecting on to the carrier because most people don't seem to understand that the updates for different firmware are not always the same.  What is in the 9.5.10 Internatiinal/US firmware is mostly in the 9.5.9 T-Mobile firmware.

When you call support for just about any company, the person is going to say whatever it is going to take to get you off of the phone the fastest.  T-Mobile might have sold you a phone, but that phone and it's software come from OnePlus.  As someone who is in the OnePlus FUT program for the T-Mobile firmware.  This program would not exist for the T-Mobile firmware if T-Mobile had anything to do without the updates beyond providing bloat and carrier aggregation.

• magenta8617201

What has been your experience with the OnePlus FUT program? Are you receiving the latest updates and have they resolved the ghost touches, scrolling issues, and camera problems? In other words when OnePlus says they are rolling out 9.5.10 it's not being sent to TMobile customers?

• syaoran

The FUT program is open to anyone who wants to join.  There is a thread and a link to the sign up on the OnePlus forum. 

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/join-our-friendly-user-testing-program-for-tmo-version-of-6t-and-7-pro.1045519/

I can't actually comment on the specifics of the not publicly released updates for a variety of reasons.  One FUT member might get a different build than another based on issues they have specifically reported.  I have never personally had the ghost touch issue. My issues with the WiFi Calling and VoLTE though have been resolved without an RMA. 

This might sound odd but there have been a few interesting things pop up lately that might oarticially be a factor in which devices experience what issues.  The blue version has some complaints for example, that the grey and almond do not.  Even though the backings are just coated glass, it seems like they are actually done on either different lines or different runs.  One XDA user purchased both and noticed a big difference on the screen calibration between the two and has also experienced issues on the same software version with one device but not the other.

OnePlus in my opinion, is actively trying to address the main issues as soon as possible.  Out of the devices I have owned over the years and being fairly tech savvy.  Their engineering team has been nothing short of excellent in my experience in replicating and providing logkits for them to resolve the issues I had with 9.5.8 with the 9.5.9 update. 

• magenta8617201

Is what you are saying is that I can purchase a OnePlus 7 Pro directly from OnePlus and still use my TMobile sim card and receive OTA updates from OnePlus?

• snn555

No one can comment on the FUT given the NDA.

• snn555

However I can say that the test has been pushed back two to three weeks. So that has not even started.

• magenta8617201

I read about the FUT on the OnePlus forum. Since it's been pushed back several weeks I take it you are still experiencing some issues on your 7 Pro. I realize you can't confirm any improvements, but nothing has changed.

• snn555

I can confirm that the fut is for the T-Mobile 6T and 7 pro.

• magenta8617201

It would be more promising if OP actually started the fut testing. TMO being involved could just tank the project.

• snn555

Considering the test is for the T-Mobile variants that means T-Mobile has to be involved.

• syaoran

0erhaos, because the 9.5.8 uodate did mess up VoLTE and WuFi Calling along with a few other things.  I wouldn't be surprised if it contains beta apps and aggregation test settings but the bulk of it should be to improve the carrier model experience provided by OnePlus.

T-Mobile sales count for significant chunk of US sales for OnePlus.  With T-Mobile as an exclusive partner for the US and EE for Europe.  DeutschesTelekom is a big partner.  Each firmware version has their unique issues, so one fix for one firmware won't necessarily be the fix that works for every firmware version.

Outside of the hardware, I don't expect it to be much different than Samsung's, LG's, and Google's beta programs but I do hope it is more like Xiaomi's.  Weekly builds focusing on specific issues I personally found productive on my Mi MIX 3.

• bernest44

Can you download the International Version on One Plus site without rooting???

• snn555

well you would need to flash the international firmware through instructions on XDA or you could find the same instructions through video on the OnePlus community app. you would not need to root first but you will not be able to just directly download the updates from one plus' website without flashing the international firmware first.

• bernest44

Let T-mobile do what they do best.  Provide Carrier Service.  They are not yet set up with all the Tech Support to be pushing updates from OnePlus.  I've heard complaints about the OnePlus 6 guys just getting stuff months later.  OnePlus says its TMobile and so on.....so stop the fingerpointing.  Let's move onto what we can do.  See below.  TMobile puts you in this position.  So we now have to rely upon the phone manufacturer.  TMobile peeps.....do what you gotta do....we are fans of our phones....TMobile just provides a data service.  Done.

Guys I can't suggest enough to convert your T-Mo7 Pro over to the international version (as I did) if you want the official updates direct from OP. Now you can convert without having to unlock your sim and bootloader or rooting phone. After the massive update (9.5.7 or 9.5.8 one of them) which was nearly 3gb and T-Mo decided it was only going to send out 298mb of it, that was when I said screw that. I WANTED all the camera tweeks, not jus what T-Mo felt we should get. I compared pics between my 7 Pro(T-MO) to my cousins 7 pro(unlocked) and there was def a diff. especially in low light (auto & nightscape) and noise in general when zooming in any pic (day/night). Also DC dimming popped up on my phone once I converted.

• magenta8617201

I'm on Jump on Demand with T-Mobile but I believe I can just pay off the phone and it's mine. Does anyone know if T-mobile will unlock phone and whatever else is necessary so I can receive my updates directly from OnePlus? It now appears OnePlus has another new update 9.5.11

BTW does T-Mobile ever read the community posts?

• syaoran

There are T-Mobile employees here.  You can't expect them to feel the need to reply to every post though, which is why it is nice to have so many helpful non-employees here to chime in when they can. 

You should be able to buy out your Jump device and then request it to be SIM unlocked. 

The 9.5.11 GM21AA firmware came after the GM21BA release for a different firmware version this morning.  However, features and updates for different firmware can contain different features and fixes related to that specific firmware.  Just because the GM1917 now has 9.5.11 doesn't mean the GM1915 isn't up to date for its specific firmware. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                    • magenta8617201

I just looked at my build number which is 9.5.9 GM31CB. I can understand different versions receive different updates. OP community can be very confusing at times when it comes to the 7 PRO. I wish there was a T-mobile Oneplus 7 Pro thread. You seem very knowledgeable with the 7 Pro. Do you believe my phone is truly up to date? Thanks in advance.

• snn555

If you download the OnePlus community app you can choose certain forums and there is a T-Mobile forum.

T-Mobile won't unlock it so that it receives international versions of the updates they will only SIM unlock the device so that you can use it on other carriers. to get the OnePlus updates directly from one plus you would need to flash international software for which T-Mobile cannot do.

• syaoran

It has the July security update.  The next update probably won't come until the August security patch is out.  9.5.9 made a world of difference to my GM1915.

The camera software can still improve but not many seem to be happy with it regardless of the firmware version.  I have updated my camera software with an apk from one of the XDA threads.  I am about as happy with the 3.4.24 camera and gallery app.   Screenshot_20190731-173418.jpg

• bernest44

My camera is version 3.2.101.....pathetic.  Again...just not gonna get what we ask for.  I can't even take half decent pics.  It's chalked up as a lesson learned by us consumers.  If this is spelled out somewhere...it's in print too small to read.  That feeling when you fall into a pit and unless you get help....your staying in that pit until someone extends you a rope.  I think I'll use it to hang my phone with.  Lol. Uggh.  

• bernest44

I even have the TMobile 9.5.9 version...it updated Android 9.0 and left everything else out...lol. 

• syaoran

The main feedback on updates though, come from those running the Internatiinal/US firmware.  If T-Mobile device firmware people were more vocal to OnePlus about what they want improved.  I think you would see it happen.  The FUT program alone shows they are listening.  I have never had a single update turn around for any major issues with any OEM out of the many devices I have ever owned.

This is why complaining to the carrier isn't going to help get those updates to happen.  If T-Mobile gets enough negative complaints about a device.  They might not carry the next iteration of that device.  As a retailer, that is about the biggest part of the process they have.  OnePlus is still going to sell phones whether T-Mobile resells them or not.  OnePlus needs to hear what they need to improve upon for more than just one firmware version.

• magenta8617201

Granted the FUT program is a good thing, but as you stated it hasn't started and is being pushed back several more weeks. It's been two months since the program was announced tomorrow. I can't understand why such a long delay. If it was running I don't think so many would be complaining about T-mobile.

• magenta8617201

My TMO OnePlus 7 Pro is now unlocked. I'm still unable to update to version 9.5.11. Do I need a computer to update? Will Chromebook work? Thanks

• syaoran

The latest firmware for T-Mobile is 9.5.9.  If you choose to flash to the Internatiinal/US firmware, you will be able to update to 9.5.11 with potentially 9.5.12 coming in the next week or two. 

• snn555

You can only flash the official OEM firmware to a device that is already on the official firmware. A T-Mobile variant cannot sideload the updates. So you'll need to flash to the global variant. you still may not get OTA updates but you can use Oxygen updater app from the play store to get the update faster or you can go to the support page on oneplus.com and download the update and install it locally.

• snn555

bernest44 wrote:

My camera is version 3.2.101.....pathetic. Again...just not gonna get what we ask for. I can't even take half decent pics. It's chalked up as a lesson learned by us consumers. If this is spelled out somewhere...it's in print too small to read. That feeling when you fall into a pit and unless you get help....your staying in that pit until someone extends you a rope. I think I'll use it to hang my phone with. Lol. Uggh.

the rope extended to get you out of your pit would be flashing to international.

• magenta8617201

T-mobile couldn't care less if your camera is pathetic as mine is. I have the same version which came with the phone. I should have purchased the Pixel but I thought T-mobile actually was on the ball with updates. T-mobile's customer service is geared to lead you on and tell you how important you are. I've been with them for 14 years and they really don't care. Going to the international version seems like a lot of effort when T-Mobile can correct the issues with an update. 

• snn555

going to the international version is really a 10-minute process and there's really no reason to stay on T-Mobile firmware. I have the 6t and T-Mobile has not updated that phone since March. However I got an update from OnePlus after switching over to international just this month.

• magenta9721574

Yeah not a fan of TMobile update process. I would love to get off that train to nowhere as soon as possible

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

• magenta9457232

If I switch my OP7Pro to the international version and update to the new Android 10 version will I have any issues? Like network?

• syaoran

You will have to use Oxygen Uodator or sideload the Android 10 update.  It is a limited release stable build with a lot of issues.  You lose RCS on the International firmware and WiFi Calling doesn't like to kick in unless there is no service at all.  Bluetooth issues, NFC issues, extra space under the Google keyboard, laggy launcher, and plenty more.  Even though the Android 10 build is called a stable build.  It is not the full official release that will be pushed to everyone later this month.

• magenta9721574

I thought there was a stable release as 7T is available soon with it pre installed. But not real sure

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

• magenta9457232

Thanks for the reply! Would I be able to come back to T-Mobile (US Variant) if I find the issues to be too much?

• magenta9457232

THANKS!

• magenta9457232

magenta9457232  syaoran I CAN CONFIRM : Last Night I took the plunge and tried out the switch to International version. Took literally 10 min. 2 small issues, I forgot to run MSM Tool as admin, and also had to hit start before going into EDL mode as I never saw the "Connected" notice to hit start. Other than that, Smooth sailing and EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY! no issues with gestures, No issues with Bluetooth, Wifi calling works without a hitch, I use Google Pay last nice so NFC must be working just fine, Phone is still buttery smooth as it should, Camera is better! I LOVE NIGHTMODE WIDE ANGLE! I also Updated to Android 10 right away and still no issues and love all the extra features. Follow the steps and profit! Ill check back in a week or so to update! If you want me to test anything let me know!

• syaoran

Issues will definitely vary by user.  NFC does not work for me at McDonald's.  The girlfriend's truck isn't really new but the stereo was put in a few years ago.  It works fine with her S9 Plus though and worked on 9.5.11 for me  The easiest way to get rid of the extra space under the Google keyboard is to switch to SwiftKey.

I' m glad you aren't noticing any issues.  The flash process is fairly easy.  I use ADB to boot to EDL, which I find is easier than holding volume buttons while trying to connect it.  One of the threads with people discussing updates, rolling back, and reporting bugs on XDA is fairly long.  A lot of people in there have reported the issues I have mentioned and many more.  I have personally never experienced the battery heating issue with 9.5.11 or 10 stable but there is a thread about that on the OnePlus boards. 

• magenta9457232

Fully understand that! I've been scouring XDA for the past week reading up on the switch. I was using ADB as well, for whatever reason MSM was not saying connected so I just started on standby. Well hope I just hit the jackpot and no issues arise!

• unegv

Well Android 10 is out now. Let's see how many weeks it takes T-Mobile to release the update.

• unegv

Still no update.

• magenta8617201

T-mobile announced they will update the OP 7 Pro to Android 10 but still no date set. What I don't understand is why T-mobile is selling the OP 7T which comes with Android 10, which T-Mobile had to approve.

• magenta3645619

Ikr it's ridiculous, OnePlus released that update months ago. I'm baffled at how the 7T came with Android 10 to but the 7Pro has yet to see it, and it's not like the 7 Pro is a very old phone. Meanwhile my old Note 8 gets security updates before my newer OnePlus phone which is still stuck on September Security Update, what a sad shame.

• unegv

It has been a long time. I wonder if we will get the update before next year. This is starting to remind me of LG

• kylewood

They definitely need to get this update out ASAP. One of the biggest reasons I purchased this phone was because of the wide angle camera. Samsung and iPhone are able to record video with the wide lens and also use the wide lens with camera flash. It seems ridiculous to me that on one of the most advanced phones out there (One Plus 7 pro) they couldn't accomplish this.

Particularly frustrating when they launch a newer, cheaper version that has newer software. I don't care if T-Mobile wants to "test the software first" because they don't want it to crash... I get that. But they need to understand it looks horrible that they are including features in a $600 new phone that my $700 more advanced phone I purchased 2 months previously doesn't have it. You think I won't switch because of this?!?! Big bet!!!