No service at workplace

burnupasun

My work is a dead zone for t-mobile, you're very lucky and its extremely rare to be graced with the presence of even one bar. I know that it isn't just me experiencing this issue, as many employees here experience the same issue, even those with metro-pcs which is owned by t-mobile. Every other cell company gets excellent service in the building except those associated with t-mobile. The coverage map shows that this is an area for excellent coverage, however that just isn't true. Is there anything that can be done to improve the quality of signal with the building?

All replies

• syaoran

Re: No service at workplace

If your workplace is surrounded by a lot of tree.  Dense foliage might be the issue.  The band(s) in use by T-Mobile in that area might not penetrate buildings as well as what the competition are using.  Older devices tend to not do as well inside compared to some of the newer devices.  What device are you using?  Is WiFi Calling a possible alternative for you?

My girlfriend gets no service at her work either, but she works inside of a nuclear bunker.  No cell provider has working service inside of the complex she works in. 

• burnupasun

I work in a warehouse, no trees other than small decorative ones planted by

the building managers for landscaping, i have an s9+ so phone age isn't and

issue, plus it isnt just me, its everyone that has t-mobile and their

devices range from iphones and galaxys , to motorolla

• syaoran

As a previous owner of two S9 Plus devices.  Their radios are excellent, at least in my opinion.  Is there some sort of internal wireless network and or wireless communication system in use that might just be too close to the bands T-Mobile have deployed in that area? 

• snn555

I'm pretty sure if you look at a different nap you will notice that the coverage is excellent outside the building but not inside the building. This makes all the difference. If your work has Wi-Fi you can attempt to connect to hit. Outside of that if you don't have signal and you don't have Wi-Fi calling capabilities then you don't have service.

• aiharkness

To add to the other responses, sounds to me that the bands in operation at your location do not penetrate buildings well.  I’m in the same boat, and have been for many years.  The difference is everyone has trouble if not near a window.

I agree with the other member, use WiFi if you have it.

• tmo_amanda

Good morning, burnupasun!

WiFi is the best option here but unfortunately that doesn't work for your situation. Have you talked with Tech Support yet to see if they can take a closer look at the area? Aside from that, I don't have any other suggestions.

• magrab2019

I have had problems with connecting inside buildings, including Costco, grocery stores, hotels, and hospitals ever since I switched to T Mobile 4 years ago, a problem I had never had with any other carrier. At first they told me they were updating the towers in my area (Boston) and I patiently waited.

Now, 4 years later, with a different phone, I’m still having the exact same problem in the exact same places. The support folks can’t help you and I don’t know what the problem is but when I got stuck In the emergency room and couldn’t make a call it finally infuriated me enough to say that’s it. If they could fix it they would have already and we wouldn’t be here discussing it. It’s ridiculous but it is a major glitch that I don’t think will ever be fixed as they try to blame your phone and no their connection issues.

• burnupasun

I'm already extremely fed up with my entire experience with them and

counting down the days until my contract is up so I can switch

• magrab2019

I don’t know what your experience has been but I have to say in all fairness that other than my connection issues I thought that T Mobile was great. The dedicated support team, instant connection to live help, even if they can’t help lol, is a plus. They quote you a rate and the bill doesn’t fluctuate from month to month with strange charges that force you to call and ask what it is for, a Verizon issue I had and no dead spots disconnecting you from calls while driving, an irritation I had quite often with AT&T. You can even charge a new phone or tablet to your bill.

But to not be able to make a call regardless of what building you’re in is archaic and makes having the mobile phone irrelevant in this day and age. In an emergency, especially, just say, with lost children in a building, it could potentially become a critical problem.

So who knows...I really wish they would fix it and one thing I don’t like is that they act as if you're the only one with the problem and constantly try to blame your phone. I think a little research is warranted here, maybe, now that I realize there are so many others with the same problem.

• snn555

What sort of contract do you have? no other customer has a contract. You must be referring to paying off a device. You can pay that off in one lump sum and be done.

• snn555

I've been a customer for a while now but I've noticed since day one including all the way to today that I do have connection problems inside any store that is like a warehouse such as Costco or Walmart or Sam's or some grocery stores. a lot of them are just metal and heavily insulated plus there's a lot of people in there. So the signal has a hard time reaching in and out and congestion is typically an issue as well.

no I never had that problem with Verizon but I also had a bill that was twice as much.

• aiharkness

For what it's worth, my employer-issued device is Verizon.  My personal one is T-Mobile.  There are times when my personal device is not getting reception but the employer-issued device is.   However, there are plenty of times when I'm deep in a large building, or a metal building, when not even the Verizon device is getting reception.  I consider buildings a problem in general, more so for T-Mobile, but not exclusively. 

The additional however is that a person has to do what they have to do.  First criteria is always the device needs to work for you where you live, work, and play, or you can work around limitations to otherwise achieve what works best for you.  All else, in my opinion, comes next.

• snn555

A lot of places have public Wi-Fi which could suffice for Wi-Fi calling if you were near the access point in that location however with all of the other people on the same public Wi-Fi it's pretty slow and suffice to say that public Wi-Fi is kind of icky to begin with from all standpoints of security and usability even if you use a VPN for privacy, it usually doesn't work well with the access point at that business location or is even more slow.  I know some phones I've had used Google VPN access on public Wi-Fi automatically and most of the time it worked but speeds were ridiculously slow.

• magrab2019

I’m looking into that right now. I’m going on vacation and the place I’m going doesn’t have WiFi..I’m totally ignorant of Mobile WiFi and am trying to figure it out...

• snn555

I'm not real sure what mobile Wi-Fi is unless you're referring to on network usage like LTE.

• magrab2019

Well my understanding is that where I’m going to be staying in a rural area has no WIFI available. I’m trying to figure out a way to get WIFI while I’m there?

• magrab2019

I thought Mobile WIFI is just that, Mobile WIFI. lol don’t know what I’m talking about obviously.

• magrab2019

T Mobile‘s Smartphone Mobile Hotspot is what I’m referring to...can I get WIFI using this?

• snn555

To use T-Mobile's Wi-Fi hotspot from the phone To other devices you need a T-Mobile signal. If you have a dedicated T-Mobile hotspot device you still need T-Mobile signal to use either on it or to pass along to any other connected device.

To get Wi-Fi in a rural area you need either cable access or perhaps satellite access. It's very doubtful you will find DSL in a rural area. Mobile Wi-Fi is basically using a hotspot. But you still need a T-Mobile signal for that. So if you don't have a T-Mobile signal then you cannot use a hotspot. if you can find a way to get internet access at home in a rural area then you could use a router for Wi-Fi and then use that for Wi-Fi calling. Wi-Fi calling would give you texts data and phone calls.

the takeaway and main point here is you need a T-Mobile signal where you are to use a hotspot and to use Wi-Fi calling you need some sort of internet connection at home or work.

• magrab2019

Thanks for replying. So if there is no WIFI but I do have a cell signal on my phone would that mean I could use that as a WIFI signal?

• aiharkness

I'll repeat snn555 in slightly different way, and then add a suggestion.

The personal hotspot (or mobile hotspot) on the phone (device #1) provides a connection for another device (#2) to the service device #1 is using.  If device #1 is connected to the mobile network, then device number #2 is connecting to the mobile network through device #1 via the hotspot function.   (If you have wifi service at your location and your second device has wifi capability, there would be no reason to use the mobile hotspot on device 1.  Just connect both 1 and 2 to the wifi network.)

Typically nowadays you would connect device 2 to device 1 using wifi.  The usual case, at least for me, is using my iPhone connected to the mobile network as a mobile hotspot for my laptop for data.   You may also have the options on device 1 to use Bluetooth or a hardwire connection using a USB cable.  But for now we are talking about wifi.

So, the typical procedure nowadays would be enable personal hotspot (or mobile hotspot) on device 1, then enable wifi on device 2, select device 1 from the available networks listed on device 2, and follow instructions displayed on device 2 to login or connect.

As snn555 points out, you need a mobile network in the first place for device 1.

My suggestion for something like a trip or vacation is look into the carrier's that do serve the location and buy a cheap Android phone and some minutes and a GB or so of data.  If you need to use a laptop and need data service for that, look for a cheap device with personal hotspot functionality (if there is one).  Hang onto the cheap device for if and when you need it again for something like this.

• magrab2019

Thanks, got it. Good idea about the burner phone as well...