Call Restriction

pfisher15

I am paying for Family Allowance and two teen daughters.  They both have iPhones which I try to restrict access especially in the evening after 9pm.  I don't want them to call or message anyone after a specific time.  I know all about Screen Time and Parental controls which it helps to restrict some things but with limitations. The iOS goes so far to restrict things but doesn't complete restrict things.

This is where I need to rely on TMO to pick up the slack where iOS falls short on restrictions. I want Family Allowance to help to restrict access so they can't call and send messages including SMS to anyone during a block of time.

Please explain how I can use FA to my benefit specifically to restrict calls and messages during a block of time?

All replies

• syaoran

Re: Call Restriction

This sounds like something best resolved by having them hand over their phones during those times.  Parental controls can only go so far because of emergency situations.  You wouldn't want one of your daughters to not be able to use their device during that timeframe if an emergency situation appeared.

T-Mobile's backend isn't capable of restricting calls in the way you want.  Apple could implement that into the OS but they more than likely never will due to liability reasons.  Alternatively, you could buy a cell signal blocker and use that outside of their rooms as a way to ensure they are not calling or texting.  This wouldn't block those functions going over WiFi though but you could also set your wireless home network to turn off during those times, depending on the type of router you are using. 

1 of 2 people found this helpful
        • snn555

ultimately the only way to control a child's cell phone use is to actually have the physical phone in your physical hand. you can put blocks and restrictions on through apps and through cell phone provider features but in the end if you can't trust your own children which is understandable you have to physically take the phone from them.

• aiharkness

+1 To having the kids hand over the phone.   I would also have them hand over the device unlock password.

• tidbits

FA can't do anything to iMessages and Facetime.  Also against wifi it doesn't work.  Best option is remove the device from their possession and give it back in the morning.

• pfisher15

Just for clarification, I not talking about Messages or Facetime. Also, I am not talking about restricting iOS settings.  The iOS restricts some things but it can't restrict calls or messages during a block of time. Unfortunately, the iOS can only restrict what it can and as expected it has some shortcomings.

With that said, this is where TMO comes in and helps to restrict calls and messages during a block of time. Going back to my original question, I want to use Family Allowance to my benefit and take it a step further and restrict calls and messages during a specific time period.

I am glad the solution is very easy and everyone agrees on it.  Everyone is absolutely correct the ONLY solution is to take the phones away from a teenager.  For those of you who have teenagers I guess it is easy to take the phone away or even ask them, right?

• syaoran

Perhaps a conversation with them about using their devices when you would like them not to?  Ultimately, you are the parents and expecting some sort of resistance to them surrendering their devices when they go to bed or at a certain time isn't going to be an easy suggestion to them.  But... that ultimately depends on how important it is to you to not have them using their devices during the time you don't want them using their devices. 

• tidbits

pfisher15 wrote:

Just for clarification, I not talking about Messages or Facetime. Also, I am not talking about restricting iOS settings. The iOS restricts some things but it can't restrict calls or messages during a block of time. Unfortunately, the iOS can only restrict what it can and as expected it has some shortcomings.

With that said, this is where TMO comes in and helps to restrict calls and messages during a block of time. Going back to my original question, I want to use Family Allowance to my benefit and take it a step further and restrict calls and messages during a specific time period.

I am glad the solution is very easy and everyone agrees on it. Everyone is absolutely correct the ONLY solution is to take the phones away from a teenager. For those of you who have teenagers I guess it is easy to take the phone away or even ask them, right?

I just took away my daughters phone for the past 3 months.  She only got it back during school time for the "in event" emergency.  When I pick her up phone is back in my hands.  If they uses it for anything other than "in event" emergency I lock her phone down. 
                      The first time I took it away her phone (at the time it was a cheap Android phone) she threw a tantrum.  I broke it and threw it in the trash and that was the end of it.  She didn't get a replacement until I felt she deserved it.