Oneplus Pro 7 Does Not Update Security Updates Still at 5/1/2019!

321popeye321

There has been at least 2 security updates since May 1st. June 12th and June 20th. Still says up to date May 1 2019. I bought this from a client. Why is this not updating and any fix!

Love the phone but concerned!

Advice or information would be much appreciated!

Thanks

All replies

• unegv

I do believe that there is another software update that OnePlus put out that hopefully will be available soon on T-Mobile that will have the June security update. Hopefully T-Mobile will push this update soon.

BTW, OnePlus only promises bi-monthly security updates, not monthly like the Pixel, I am not trying to be rude. I am just letting you know OnePlus' policy. Other than that T-Mobile blocks or pushes any other updates.

I for one am glad that I am receiving updates. I had the LG V30 and I used that phone for almost two years and only got a couple of software updates. So far I am loving this phone.

• 321popeye321

Appreciate the reply. Question does your phone latest update May 1 2019? If bi monthly missing 3 updates. That is my concern.

Thanks

• syaoran

The next firmware update will be 9.5.9 and is currently rolling out on the international firmware.  This should be available for the T-Mobile firmware once OnePlus has it ready.  Past updates have usually been within 2 weeks of the international firmware.  That update contains the June security patch. 

• 321popeye321

Does everyone's oneplus pro 7 say "you have latest security update May 1, 2019 or so you have dates in June?

Thanks

• smplyunprdctble

This link has all the build numbers:

Software updates: OnePlus 7 Pro

• syaoran

The information at that link is wrong! 

The most up to date build for GM1915 (T-Mobile firmware) is: 9.5.8.GM31CB, which contains the May 1st 2019 security patch.  The next version, 9.5.9GM31CB, is currently in testing and will hopefully be released soon by OnePlus.  The security patch date for the 9.5.9 is June 1st 2019. 

• smplyunprdctble

I mean, that link says what you just posted.  It doesn't have "yet to be released" patches because... well.. they're not released.  T-Mobile will only update documentation upon release, not pending.

It doesn't have a build version for the June security updates.  That, I find weird.

But, the above link is the official T-Mobile answer when asking about software versions.  If there's something wrong with the documentation, that has to go to the moderators to be corrected.

• syaoran

When I click il, it mentions the latest build as 9.5.7.  The current available build is 9.5.8.  That's what I find odd about it.

The build should be updated to state, in testing for 9.5.9 as well.  There isn't a lot of difference between the international and T-Mobile firmware.  It isn't a major update so T-Mobile needs to dump their bloat, aggregation, and some other tweaks in it.  Nothing much and probably nothing different from the previous build. 

• smplyunprdctble

syaoran wrote:

The build should be updated to state, in testing for 9.5.9 as well. 

No.  T-Mobile only publishes what versions are released.  The version can change in the middle of testing if something has to be changed.  You'll find a LONG history in the forums here about "why isn't something showing up that's about to come out".  It all goes back to an incident a long time ago when something was promised, not delivered due to the timeline having to be changed (assuming because of a showstopper bug), and everyone got all up in arms about it threatening to leave because a promise wasn't met.

T-Mobile's official stance for software version is in the DOC related to the device (the one in question is linked above).  T-Mobile's official stance on software updates is at Software updates (though, this basically only covers updates from one version to another, it seems.. like Oreo to Pie).  Upcoming versions, no matter how close they are, do not exist in T-Mobile's official stance until they are released.

• 321popeye321

Appreciate info. Could you do me a favor?

I am concerned about security updates not updating the software version is up to date.

Could you do manual update and when done does it say up to date with a date of May 1st or June 1st.

It would be appreciated.

Thxs

• tidbits

smplyunprdctble wrote:

syaoran wrote:

The build should be updated to state, in testing for 9.5.9 as well.

No. T-Mobile only publishes what versions are released. The version can change in the middle of testing if something has to be changed. You'll find a LONG history in the forums here about "why isn't something showing up that's about to come out". It all goes back to an incident a long time ago when something was promised, not delivered due to the timeline having to be changed (assuming because of a showstopper bug), and everyone got all up in arms about it threatening to leave because a promise wasn't met.

T-Mobile's official stance for software version is in the DOC related to the device (the one in question is linked above). T-Mobile's official stance on software updates is at Software updates (though, this basically only covers updates from one version to another, it seems.. like Oreo to Pie). Upcoming versions, no matter how close they are, do not exist in T-Mobile's official stance until they are released.

Behold II comes to mind when Samsung in an advertising tutorial promised 2.0, but changed and said it will only get 1.6.  Since then carriers have historically  given as little information as possible.  Manufacturers as well started to.

• syaoran

True enough.  From what I can find with the history of OnePlus updates though.  Updates seem fairly consistent across both the international and T-Mobile firmware.  There are definitely exceptions and some take longer than others.  Currently though, OnePlus seems quite intent to keep The two on the same version of Oxygen OS.  The Chinese firmware and 5G firmware seem to getting the least attention so far.  I do hope they keep the international and T-Mobile firmware on parody though.  As much as there are some things to complain about with the device.  OnePlus has pushed out some timely updates to address a lot of the initial issues. 

This is why I usually look to information from the manufacturer for update information.  The information carriers post is usually well after the rest of the world already knows when to expect it.  We see a lot of people here blame T-Mobile for a device not getting an update or for being slow to provide one.  In most cases, it has nothing to do with T-Mobile.  Posting update schedules instead of just linking to the manufacturers update schedule confuses some into thinking that T-Mobile has a building full of software developers for each Android device that comes out when in most cases, they don't even develop their own carrier bloat apps in-house. 

• tidbits

syaoran wrote:

True enough. From what I can find with the history of OnePlus updates though. Updates seem fairly consistent across both the international and T-Mobile firmware. There are definitely exceptions and some take longer than others. Currently though, OnePlus seems quite intent to keep The two on the same version of Oxygen OS. The Chinese firmware and 5G firmware seem to getting the least attention so far. I do hope they keep the international and T-Mobile firmware on parody though. As much as there are some things to complain about with the device. OnePlus has pushed out some timely updates to address a lot of the initial issues.

This is why I usually look to information from the manufacturer for update information. The information carriers post is usually well after the rest of the world already knows when to expect it. We see a lot of people here blame T-Mobile for a device not getting an update or for being slow to provide one. In most cases, it has nothing to do with T-Mobile. Posting update schedules instead of just linking to the manufacturers update schedule confuses some into thinking that T-Mobile has a building full of software developers for each Android device that comes out when in most cases, they don't even develop their own carrier bloat apps in-house.

That's correct.  OEM would rather you blame carriers anyway.  Someone switches chances are they'll buy to same OEM device anyway and end up waiting for an update rinse and repeat.

• 321popeye321

Thanks again for replies. The build versions for software versions is not the issue. It is security updates. If you guys have latest as June 1 2019 then I can't get that update and that bothers me.i saw some post about forcing updates. By clearing cache in play store as solution. I read might cause problems. So asking why it doesn't  update and what should I do to get security update.

Thanks!

• 321popeye321

Maybe this might answer my concerns. The link says June 20th update states included june 1st security updates.

So when you go to update and check for updates does does your say after updating...you have the latest update showing May 1st or June 1st?

Thanks

• syaoran

That page is wrong.  There is no current update for the OnePlus 7 Pro for the T-Mobile firmware that includes the June 1st security patch.  The International firmware just got the June 1st security patch in the 9.5.9.GM21AA update.  Currently, the firmware update for the T-Mobile has been about 2 or so weeks behind.  When it is ready, OnePlus will push it to our devices.

After the device is around 6 months old and most of the initial bugs are worked out.  Expect the OnePlus 7 Pro to drop to only being updated every couple of months.  After a year, those updates will more than likely come every few months.  This is a similar timeline to most other OEM's.  If you must have those monthly security patch updates as soon as they are available.  A Pixel device is the only device you can guarantee will get those every month for the first year or two.

Edit:  I'm not sure if I am reading some of the posts right, but I don't work for T-Mobile and don't have any inside knowledge as to testing updates.  I, like many others around here, are just customers or phone enthusiasts that enjoy helping others.  T-Mobile employees have that listed in their signature.  There is also more information to be had on the OnePlus 7 Pro forum at OnePlus.com as well in the XDA-Developer forum. 

• 321popeye321

Thanks for explanation.

So to put my issue to rest....when you manually update and says up to date does your date say May 1 2019?

• 321popeye321

Perfect.

Thanks for the assistance.