One bar to no signal indoors

magenta9208781

Hi there my family recently switched over from ATT and the main issue I am experiencing is whenever I’m indoors my reception on all my lines will drop to one bar. I live in San Francisco. I know these are places I have good reception before when I was with ATT. The places I went to recently are museums in San Francisco near the Golden Gate Park, buildings in the financial district, small restaurants in the Richmond area. Does anyone have issues with one bar signal they’re able to fix? Do you think it has to do with SIM cards ? If needed I can provide exact address to pinpoint the Issue.

All replies

• syaoran

Re: One bar to no signal indoors

There are a lot of factors in determining the cause of poor reception.  What device do you have and did you bring it from AT&T or buy a new device when you came to T-Mobile?  Depending on the type of coverage deployed, certain bands penetrate buildings better than others.  Older structures tend to be more dense than newer.  Network congestion can also reduce the amount of signal your device receives.  The more local network congestion, the weaker the signal.  Interference from construction equipment or very strong WiFi networks can also impact the cell signal.

Although I own quite a few devices and swap devices regularly.  Radios in devices do vary a lot by manufacturer.  Samsung devices tend to have very good radios by comparison to almost everything else.  I was very surprised though to find my OnePlus 7 Pro pulls in a bar more usable signal strength than my Note 9 and S9 Plus though.

• aiharkness

Re: One bar to no signal indoors

To add, if you are outside a structure and getting good signal, and you step into the structure and signal reception is diminished or lost, odds are it is the structure.  If you move next to a window and reception improves, then more evidence the issue is the structure.

If you have received signal in a structure before and now you are not, then +1 to the suggestion to restart the device and try again.  I would try turning airplane mode on and then back off a moment later to force the device to search for a signal, and after then restart if that didn't help.

There will probably be some structures that just block signal, particularly the deeper you are in the structure away from windows; and then even near a window you might have trouble in some cases.  Conventional dwellings in my experience are not a serious impediment.  Signal reception will be reduced, but if the signal strength is strong outside, even though weak inside it will likely be strong enough.  If the signal in the area is weak to begin with, it will be even worse inside.    Some huge hotels and office buildings will be very bad.  Count on metal buildings being a definite problem always and for everyone.  Your mileage may vary.

I don't think I have personal experience, at least not that I know of, with the new bands.   My personal experience I'm relating here is from over the past 20+ years, a lot of traveling, and a lot of buildings.  In any case, I can say I find ways to manage, and wifi and wifi-calling have been tremendously helpful in those cases of hotels and office buildings where mobile reception is too poor or non-existent inside.