Very slow data service all day everyday

magenta5954538

I recently switched to the magenta plus unlimited 55 because it includes 1080p streaming. However, in my home 1080p streaming only works from 1030pm to 7am. During the day time the data service slows to a snails speed 0.3mbps download and 2mbps up and is completely unusable for streaming. I have called tech support and a trouble ticket has been started. Tech support has informed me my area is slow due to congestion and they will discuss it in there Wednesday meeting. In viewing my plan details there is a clause called Optimized Video Streaming which was never mentioned in the advertisement that prompted me to upgrade and pay more money. It reads: T-Mobile optimizes your streaming video for performance and quality. Video typically streams on smartphone/tablet at DVD quality (480p).

Why sell service that you cant supply? How do I turn off this so called Optimized Video Streaming? I have 2 lines and they both suffer sever congestion all day long at my residence, no problems at late night. This service is completely useless if it cant stream during the day too.

One of the techs I spoke too did something on t mobiles end to force my line to stream 1080p for a short period so I don't think its congestion but a provisioning issue on t mobiles side. I don't stream much, average 4gbs a month at 480p streaming.

All replies

• syaoran

Re: Very slow data service all day everyday

You can turn off the Optimized Video Streaming in your account through my.t-mobile.com

• magenta5954538

I have fully searched my.t-mobile.com. I do not see an option to disable Optimized Video Streaming? And as my original post states, the problem is most likely congestion: .01mbps download speed during the day when people are up. 35mbps at night when people are sleeping. Or T-Mobile is throttling me?

• magenta5954538

In my.t-mobile.com account there is no option for Optimized Video Streaming. I used the search box for it and it is an old feature for prepaid plans or limited data bucket plans. I have an unlimited plan. If you still believe I can turn off the setting, please give details where I would fid it.

• tmo_mike_c

Have you tried streaming in other places to see if it's only happening at your house? Also, what type of video streaming service are you using? Netflix or something else?

• magenta5954538

Right across the street from me is a large shopping center called: The Plant. It has a T-Mobile store in it. The cellular and data signals in the shopping center are total garbage all day long. You can talk to the employees at that T-Mobile store and they will confirm speed test at the store have been near zero for years. I would say my home and the shopping center are about a square mile or 2 in size. If I drive a few blocks up the street the signal improves but still struggles with 1080p. Driving around the city I can sometimes get a 1080p stream but 480p is still dominate. When I upgraded to magenta plus I have felt absolutely no increase in my ability to maintain a higher stream rate. Either your data towers are congested or my phone provisioning was not upgraded?

I stream YouTube music videos. At night they default to 1080p. During the day at my home and surrounding areas they default to 144p to 480p depending on your network traffic I can only assume. Will not stream above 480p for long. I also have home security cameras. They stream to an app on my cell phone. During the day the stream mostly just sits there buffering. I have to switch to my Comcast WIFI and the stream is fine. At night the T-Mobile signal is finally strong enough to stream the security footage. The cameras stream at 720p.????

• tmo_mike_c

Here's what I'm thinking. If it's YouTube, the video will need to available to view in 1080p in order to stream it. Let's say, for instance, that's the case. Then there's a chance that congestion during your specified time could be the issue. We'd need to check your account to make sure you're on the Magenta Plus Unlimited 55, but I'm guessing account provisioning isn't what's going on here.

• magenta5954538

Depending on T-mobile congestion, YouTube will default to 1080p on videos with that option except during the day it may default to 144p in my case, since T-Mobile cant maintain 1080p under load?. YouTube knows the potential stream quality and auto adjusts itself. Seems like congestion. So my question is, when will you fix the congestion problem in my area? Also, you need to be more transparent in your sales advertisements. I read the advertisement for magenta plus fully and called sale/tech support and was confirmed 1080p no problem at my house, only to find out later, it only streams 1080p at night when traffic dies down. I am definitely on magenta plus. I have included a screen shot of my account showing it. Thank you.

• tmo_mike_c

I agree with you. This does appear to me a congestion issue. This is tough to say because we don't have a specific time frame as to when a given location will see congestion improvements. Our engineers are aware of the locations that'll have these congested areas and we're constantly working on improvements, but this'll take time. I do think we could have done a better job setting expectations for HD streaming on this plan. Our Magenta Unlimited does give a small disclosure about speed reduction when you look at the HD section.

• magenta9644156

I have slow as 10:30 pm and after it very slow  in Ca 91801 Alhambra download 3.10mbps and upload at 10 mbps what going on?

• steve300

Same in Ventura, CA (or worse). Per Open Signal I get 1.4 down and .3 up. All day, everyday for as long as I've been in Ventura (December). Local TMobile store says they are pounded with complaints after a network downgrade that took out 1900 Mhz. Support says there is an outage but they can't give me any details as to what or when or time to repair. They've been telling me the problem is my phone at the same time but I just took home a new phone from the TMobile store. I'll return it tomorrow but you can't make sense out of claiming its my phone and telling me there is an outage. Amateurs.

• nickr4

Capture+_2019-08-20-18-47-40.pngsame here but its all day every day.

• steve300

The T-Mobile phone was worse than my Moto G6. Then one of my "experts" finally admitted that the tower serving my neighborhood always had a weak signal. Note the T-Mobile coverage map shows this area as solid green for LTE so there is some dishonesty here. On top of that when I returned my phone there were almost $100 of service fees and restocking fees I wasn't told about by my expert or the store sales person. After some loud arguments the store waived almost all of the fees but it was another horrible experience.