Moto Z2 Force Android Pie Update

henrywhtin

As the release notes are up, how long do we need to wait?

moto z2 force - Android™ 9.0 Pie Release Notes - Motorola Support - US

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Moto Z2 Force Android Pie Update

Hi there.

Sorry to deliver this news, but we've received word that this device will no longer be getting Android Pie. If you have questions about this, you'll need to contact Motorola.

• hitherdread

Seriously?? I'm a moderator on the Motorola support forum and I have not heard of this. I'm curious as to where you found this information. I will send this comment over to the support management to look into this though.

• rstewart787

Did they ever respond to you?   I got a vague answer that basically sounded like it was the carriers fault and not Motorolas

• rstewart787

I read this one yesterday its a good read about a giant that is dead.  It doesn’t really fully explain what happened but whatever we won’t get an exact answer.  The Motorola rep basically told me that the carriers didn’t want to pursue testing on the networks over the cost but they were probably just playing a blame game.     

I made the switch to iPhone around 4 months ago.   I’ve gotten more updates in 4 months from them then I got total security patches for the moto z2 force in the entire year 2018.

this phone was going to be given to my nephew and I wanted to make sure I wasn’t given him an absolute lemon.  But what ever if he hates the phone his parents can dump it in the trash.   Since no one recycles the phones which they should but that’s a different discussion. 

• tidbits

rstewart787 wrote:

I read this one yesterday its a good read about a giant that is dead. It doesn’t really fully explain what happened but whatever we won’t get an exact answer. The Motorola rep basically told me that the carriers didn’t want to pursue testing on the networks over the cost but they were probably just playing a blame game.

I made the switch to iPhone around 4 months ago. I’ve gotten more updates in 4 months from them then I got total security patches for the moto z2 force in the entire year 2018.

this phone was going to be given to my nephew and I wanted to make sure I wasn’t given him an absolute lemon. But what ever if he hates the phone his parents can dump it in the trash. Since no one recycles the phones which they should but that’s a different discussion.

It's easier to blame the carriers.  To date I have not seen one update not being tested when they are submitted so far.  It was Motorola not wanted to do the update because they are no longer making money out of the Z2 Force, and they've been doing that for years.  It costs carriers almost nothing to test on their network.

Here's the smoking gun it was Motorola that chose to do it.  They are not updating the European version and that one is unlocked and OEM's supposedly can do what they want there.  If they are not developing an update there what makes anyone think they'll do it here?

• rstewart787

Is there anyway that tmobile can honor the trade in deals from last fall, for the iphone xr or the one plus 6t?  this is awful news and the main reason i didnt made the trade in was the promise of android pie for the moto z2 force?

• kidloyola

Seriously, T-Mobile is refusing to support the Pie upgrade for Moto Z2 Force leaving a major manufacturer's flagship phone at a January 2019 Security update that is 6 months stale despite the manufacturer has the updated ROM ready to go.

Posting the relevant parallel T-Mobile Moto Z2 Force Farce thread to get T-Mobile's attention on the issue as to provide the updated Pie OTA Upgrade to customers that purchased the phone from T-Mobile's online and brick & mortar stores.

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/150760

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • tidbits

kidloyola wrote:

Seriously, T-Mobile is refusing to support the Pie upgrade for Moto Z2 Force leaving a major manufacturer's flagship phone at a January 2019 Security update that is 6 months stale despite the manufacturer has the updated ROM ready to go.

Posting the relevant parallel T-Mobile Moto Z2 Force Farce thread to get T-Mobile's attention on the issue as to provide the updated Pie OTA Upgrade to customers that purchased the phone from T-Mobile's online and brick & mortar stores.

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/150760

It's not T-Mobile... As I said before OEMs have a lot more power than people believe they have.  Motorola isn't keen on updating their devices.  When Google bought them out they(Google) discontinued support for a lot of devices less than 6 months old for example.

Motorola Gives Up on Pie Update for T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T Moto Z2 Force – Droid Life

• gramps28

henrywhtin wrote:

As the release notes are up, how long do we need to wait?

moto z2 force - Android™ 9.0 Pie Release Notes - Motorola Support - US

The link is dead.

• gramps28

Moto's update support page shows it's not getting pie.

Softwareupgrade - Motorola Support - US

• dysgrruncled

That's correct, AS OF TODAY. If you'd checked either site last week (or last month, or last year) you'd know it was a change with no warning to consumers from T-Mobile or Motorola.

The problem is, this phone (Z2 Force, T-Mobile edition) was advertised and sold with two important support promises:

-     the promise of enterprise-friendly (90 day) security updates (currently 200% late)

-     the promise of an OS upgrade to Android 9 (Pie, currently cancelled)

Those were important features promised to me when buying, and now they're gone. I obviously wouldn't expect a return or exchange after owning one for 18 months, but I do think buyers ought either to get bill credits or some money refunded via voucher. If today's change was accurately reported when I paid for the phone, I would've skipped it and chosen another.

This was the first phone I purchased from a carrier rather than unlocked... and this news gives me good reason never to buy a flagship or locked device from this "un-carrier" again, and not to bother with Android manufacturers other than Google (or OnePlus, etc) apparently.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • rstewart787

Yup exactly you sumed it up perfect.  T-Mobile won’t do anything for the customer and continue to sell moto junk.   This is my last straw with moto and I’m hanging by a thread with T-Mobile.   My wife has been ready to jump ship for months.  T-Mobile has been so busy trying to grow that they forgot their customers.

• gramps28

rstewart787 wrote:

Yup exactly you sumed it up perfect. T-Mobile won’t do anything for the customer and continue to sell moto junk. This is my last straw with moto and I’m hanging by a thread with T-Mobile. My wife has been ready to jump ship for months. T-Mobile has been so busy trying to grow that they forgot their customers.

Good Luck in finding the right phone and I'm not trolling . I've has HTC's, Moto's, Samsung's, LG's and Google phones and they all had their flaws.

Moto's we're good until Lenovo  took the over then everything went downhill.

HTC, Samsung and LG's all lagged behind in updates and not being supported but Samsung was the better of the 3.

My Google Nexus was nice but they pushed one too many OS updates and turned it into a rebooting machine.

I have an LG V30 that still hasn't been updated to Pie but I'm not holding my breath that it will be and my next phone will probably be an unlocked

OnePlus.

• gramps28

Looks like the only Z2 Force getting Pie is the Verizon version.

https://www.tmonews.com/2019/06/t-mobile-moto-z2-force-no-android-pie-update/

Motorola has confirmed that “some US Moto Z2 Force models will not receive the Android 9 ‘Pie’ update.” The company explains that the Verizon model of the Moto Z2 Force will get updated to Pie to enable the 5G Moto Mod, but it doesn’t commit to updating the other models of the Z2 Force, meaning the T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint versions will go Pie-less.

• rstewart787

Wow you really get off at seeing people upset over being lied to.  You feel the need to continue to put salt in the wounds.    Good for you. 

• gramps28

How is it rubbing salt in your wound?

I just posted a link, that someone else would have,  showing it was Moto's decision not to push the update and like I said in a previous post

I have a LG V30 phone that was a flagship phone and may be in the same boat as you.

• rstewart787

Tidbits  had posted an article at 941 this moring saying the exact same thing as the one you posted.  

• gramps28

And this was a post yesterday from a person who said they were a moderator on the Moto forums

saying he was going to contact management to look into this and hasn't posted since.

It would of been nice if he could of reported his findings.

Didn't see Tidbits post but the Tmonews article gave the lame Moto excuse of not updating to Pie because it's a "complex process".

"hitherdread Jun 25, 2019 2:33 PM  (in response to tmo_mike_c)   

• Member Since: Oct 24, 2016

Seriously?? I'm a moderator on the Motorola support forum and I have not heard of this. I'm curious as to where you found this information. I will send this comment over to the support management to look into this though."

• hitherdread

You want my reply? Here it is. I think it's horrible that someone pulled

this upgrade. Im not happy about it at all. I had to find out from here

about this. We always say that we find out the same time as the public but

we were not informed at all. I don't know who's to blame. Lenovo is slowly

killing Motorola. They should never have been allowed to buy it. Ever since

that moment things have gotten worse. I know own more more Motorola phones

than them. And by the way I think we know of each other Gramps28. We're you

a part of the Cliq XT group way back?

• gramps28

hitherdread wrote:

You want my reply? Here it is. I think it's horrible that someone pulled

this upgrade. Im not happy about it at all. I had to find out from here

about this. We always say that we find out the same time as the public but

we were not informed at all. I don't know who's to blame. Lenovo is slowly

killing Motorola. They should never have been allowed to buy it. Ever since

that moment things have gotten worse. I know own more more Motorola phones

than them. And by the way I think we know of each other Gramps28. We're you

a part of the Cliq XT group way back?

I may have posted on the Cliq XT forums back in the old Tmobile forum days but I had a Moto Pebl.

• tidbits

When Google purchased Motorola they offered $100 off a Motorola device.  People signed 2 year agreements back then and did very little for customers who purchased the recently released Droid 4 and I forget the name of the device which was released I believe was 10 months before the purchased.  They were out of luck and Motorola/Google said those devices won't see any updates.

People should have seen this coming...  I mean if Google was willing to do this what makes you think no other OEM will not do it.  Behold 2 which was promised 2.0 and they got 1.6 instead.  People blamed T-Mobile for that one too, but Samsung made the choice not to bring it up to 2.0 even though their own commercials said it will get 2.0. 

OEMs have a lot more control than people carriers have the control.  I mean Samsung has a large market share for example, and people can finance through them as if they are getting it from a carrier yet no one does, because maybe those who want updates realizing that Samsung is just slow with updates even with their own devices.

• carlyban

Ayfkm, release the flashall and source. If moto mod support was better in Lineage I would have kept that flashed.

• kidloyola

I’ve gone ahead and created a support case with both T-Mobile and Motorola and encourage others to do the same.  Given the issue with Motorola Customer Service that reached class action status, this the reneging of seller & manufacture for providing two years worth of security updates and Android Pie support for the Z2 Force will more than like reach similar status.  It be one thing if Motorola and T-Mobile sought to make the customer whole by providing an option to return the phone for the original purchase price due to an executive decision as to not dedicate the resources to the original business and customer commitments.  In this case, seller and manufacturer don’t want to attempt to come to a reasonable arrangement for its customer.