Exchange server asks permission to reset my phone to factory specs. WHY?

In setting up email an a new LG G8 phone, Exchanger Server asks for permission to delete all data on my phone and reset it to factory settings. WTF is this about and how can I avoid it?

All replies

And it gets worse. It says it will be allowed to lock my phone, locking all passwords, disabling USB ports, preventing all screen security features from allowing access to the phone--and the list goes on for a screen and a half on small print.

• smplyunprdctble

It's the policy set by your Exchange (Outlook) Server admin.  Many companies have sensitive information in emails and that stored on phones.  If you want company email on your phone, you have to abide by company rules.  They have that rule in the event your phone is lost or stolen, they can wipe it remotely.  I've heard other instances where people have been accidentally wiped by the admin.

If you don't want them to have access to do that, don't install work email on your personal phone.

This is not a work email. It is my private email on my private phone. There is no option to not allow the exchange server to not have this access. I use an exchange server for convenience so I can see an interact with my email from any of my devices. I reply to an email and I can see that reply on all my devices, etc. If this is just a corporate security procedure then there ought to be an option to not use it.

• smplyunprdctble

Any Exchange permissions are decided by the Exchange Server Admin.

If you're adminning an Exchange Server for your personal email, you need to configure your Exchange Server to not utilize any of these permissions.  You cannot prevent the phone from allowing these options as they're built as part of the Exchange model (and thus could be circumvented in the event a company device was lost or stolen).  The only options are to give up the permissions, or don't use Exchange.

Thanks. I think this is a short-sighted policy on the part of MS. With more non-corporate users of exchange services (especially with the push toward Office 360) the should be configurable levels of security offered. Under no circumstance am I going to give anybody permission to lock me out of my phone or delete my data. If I can happen by design, it can happen by accident (or mischievousness).

Thanks for the answer--I need to find another process for my emails.