FTP download blocked using mobile data

gar_knee

Hello,

I recently switched from Sprint to T-Mobile. I have an app that downloads data using an FTP connection. This worked fine on Sprint with my Samsung s7 edge, but now with T-Mobile on my Samsung 9+, it does not download. I was told that T-Mobile is blocking active FTP downloads using mobile data. How can I resolve it without using VPN? I don't have issues if I use wifi or use my phone as a hot-spot and connect another tablet. Thanks.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: FTP download blocked using mobile data

Hey gar_knee

I am not sure this is something that we typically support Can you explain a little more about what it is you are doing?

• gar_knee

Hi tmo_chris,

Not sure what more information I can provide.

I have a custom Android app. Content for the app is downloaded from the server using an FTP connection. When I was on Sprint, I didn't have any problems, but now with T-Mobile, the content is not downloaded. After running a few tests with my developer, he informed me that T-Mobile blocks active FTP connections. I'm not a developer so I have no idea what any of this means.

I've tried on several other devices that have T-Mobile wireless and they also can't download the data. Once I go to wifi or I use my phone as a hotspot, I don't have issues. Let me know what more info you may need and I'll do my best to provide it.

If you want to test it, you can go to the google play store and search for an app called POMeROUTE. When you download it, you can use 1 as the user name and 1 as the password.

After logging in, you can go to options and say "receive data." you'll see the 'downloading' notification on the screen, but nothing happens after. It doesn't download, it doesn't close. If you try again using wifi - this takes about 30 seconds.

thanks.

• gar_knee

tmo_chris I already called and had a ticket opened. I was told someone would call me in 24-48 hours, but no one did. This was about 3 weeks ago.

I will try again. What should I tell the agent, that I want to open a support call with an engineer?

• tidbits

gar_knee wrote:

Hello,

I recently switched from Sprint to T-Mobile. I have an app that downloads data using an FTP connection. This worked fine on Sprint with my Samsung s7 edge, but now with T-Mobile on my Samsung 9+, it does not download. I was told that T-Mobile is blocking active FTP downloads using mobile data. How can I resolve it without using VPN? I don't have issues if I use wifi or use my phone as a hot-spot and connect another tablet. Thanks.

Is your network setup in IPv4?  You need to give yourself a IPv6 address to connect as T-Mobile doesn't use IPv4.

1 of 1 people found this helpful