is 411 treated as an emergency number in your system?

nick_levinson

When a phone is in an area for emergency calls only, do you treat a call to 411 as an emergency? I expected 911 and not a 7-digit number (10 digits with area code and 11 with access code) to get emergency handling. But I was testing one cell phone to see if I was in such a zone, so I dialed three times within a couple of minutes, found 411 could go through, found a long ordinary number could not go through (emergency calls only), and then found 411 could go through. Was that a coincidence or do you let 411 go through as if it's an emergency number?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

The recognized emergency numbers are normally 911 and 112. In and area where there is emergency-only service, you are not on T-Mobile's network. So, it's not T-Mobile's system that's "allowing" anything to happen. Maybe AT&T or another carrier? It could be that your phone just treats any 3-digit number as an emergency call? Have you tried 811?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • nick_levinson

It was a coincidence. The other day, 411 was blocked (emergency calls only).

Emergency-call-only mode occurs much more often on T-Mobile than it used to on AT&T in at least one neighborhood, based on the probability that I'm using T-Mobile now and the probability that I used to use AT&T before that. If I'm not on T-Mobile now, that's interesting, since the number I call to retrieve voicemails is T-Mobile's, and @drnewcomb2's answer would mean that T-Mobile supplies voicemail service to another carrier. I don't think it's AT&T since the problem (frequent emergency-only mode) began roughly when the present phone replaced a damaged phone that used an AT&T number for voicemail retrieval (both phones had the same number for me for live calls). I also assume that every cell tower system has limited capacity and a threshold is set by its manager so that when capacity is low then only emergency calls are allowed to be initiated until capacity frees up again. If the phone itself is limiting, that's interesting, but I don't know why it would be. I bought my phone in the U.S. and I think I'm not allowed to use it to originate calls from outside the U.S. (like if I'm traveling), so I doubt I have a U.K./E.U. SIM. I have not tried 811 and I forgot what happened with 311; those are interesting ideas. Maybe 711 or 511, too, although I'd have thought that if a tower knows that "311" is a complete number then it would also know that it's not an emergency number, but I don't program tower software and the main question is now answered.

Thanks.

• drnewcomb2

If your phone says "Emergency Calls Only" you should not be able to retrieve voicemail as this requires voice service, which would negate the "Emergency Only" status. If you are using the "Visual Voicemail" app to retrieve voicemails, it might be possible to have a data connection, without a voice connection, either via WiFi or if you have turned off VoLTE. I can't think of any other way that you'd have access to voicemail but not voice or text.

• nick_levinson

@drnewcomb2, you wrote, "In and area where there is emergency-only service, you are not on T-Mobile's network." You're likely right about not being able to retrieve voicemails while in emergency-only mode, but I likely am on T-Mobile's network even in an area that's in emergency-only mode, and I say I likely am because the voicemail retrieval number, which works in nonemergency mode, belongs to T-Mobile.

On Saturday, June 15, 2019, 1:44:42 PM EDT, drnewcomb2 <no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote: 

|

T-Mobile Support

is 411 treated as an emergency number in your system?

created by drnewcomb2 in Other products - View the full discussion

If your phone says "Emergency Calls Only" you should not be able to retrieve voicemail as this requires voice service, which would negate the "Emergency Only" status. If you are using the "Visual Voicemail" app to retrieve voicemails, it might be possible to have a data connection, without a voice connection, either via WiFi or if you have turned off VoLTE. I can't think of any other way that you'd have access to voicemail but not voice or text.

There is new activity on a discussion that you have participated in or followed. You can reply right here in email or by following this link is 411 treated as an emergency number in your system?

Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences.

This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|